Gransnet forums

Chat

I don't believe it!

(37 Posts)
Littleannie Thu 24-Jun-21 10:55:37

Yesterday in the changing room at my health club there were 2 women with children who were obviously of school age. They had been swimming. A woman who knew them came in, and during the conversation asked why the kids were not at school. One of the mothers replied that one of their class had tested positive for Covid, so they had been sent home to isolate.
I am speechless!

Pammie1 Sat 26-Jun-21 12:11:44

After all this time I don’t believe anyone is in ANY doubt as to what self isolation means. This is just downright selfish.

ElderlyPerson Fri 25-Jun-21 21:17:59

Flakesdayout

I will be continuing to wear a mask and will keep my distance. I do not want to and would love to get back to normal but as my immune system is compromised I still need to be careful. I just wish other people would show more consideration for those of us who could get really ill if we caught it.

You might well find it easy to continue wearing a mask, but keeping your distance does not only depend on you, it takes two to keep a distance.

And if the government tells people that there are no restrictions, then unless you wear a skirt like Anna in the dance sequence with Yul Brynner, or perhaps wider, it could be difficult to achieve.

I liken it to the BBC's attitude to having George Formby on the radio in the 1930s, which was if people want to pay to see him perform in the theatre or in the cinema, that is up to them, but that is not the same as him being on the radio.

So, if restrictions are lifted and people choose to go to a nightclub or packed together at a football match or in a theatre, that is their choice, and people do not need to go there, but I consider that is very different from removing social distance restrictions and mask wearing in supermarkets, because people need to get food.

Even if it is not the law it seems to me it would be good manners and consideration for other people.

I expect some changes will stay, such as the screens in front of checkout staff.

Twenty-five thousand flu' deaths each winter seemed to be treated as inevitable before the pandemic. If the screens, masks and sanitation facilities for trollies and so on remain, maybe 'flu deaths and people off work with 'flu can be greatly reduced.

I read somewhere that people who have been in a famine often for the rest of their lives keep a stockpile of food at home even if everything has changed for them.

I wonder to what extent the cautious approaches to things that arose in the pandemic will persist with people even if the pandemic is beaten.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgVPnWmUqd4

Oh, maybe the earlier suggestion won't work for social distancing after all!

Annapops Fri 25-Jun-21 18:56:00

This makes me feel so angry. This morning my DD (teacher) took a call on her way to work informing her that her daughter's gymnastic partner had tested positive on her regular LFT. My DD immediately contacted her DH at home to keep little one off school and let them know the situation. The school were grateful correct procedures were being followed as they knew this was not always the case when track and trace were not involved. My DGD was due to make her First Communion tomorrow so you can imagine the distress. A family trip to Centreparcs at the weekend hangs in the balance (awaiting the result of DGD's gym partner's PCR test to confirm). The upset this has caused my family is beyond belief but we will do the right thing, unlike Matt Hancock.sad

Lilyflower Fri 25-Jun-21 17:56:02

Swimming pools are germ ponds at the best of times!

Maremia Fri 25-Jun-21 17:38:29

Meanwhile, on the BBC lunchtime news, there was a report saying that 50 plus doubly-vaccinated people had died of the Delta variant.
It has not gone away.

Elvis58 Fri 25-Jun-21 16:30:20

I am afraid life goes on!

Elizabeth1 Fri 25-Jun-21 16:18:32

My gds took a lateral flow test before they visited us and we also took one to ensure we weren’t carriers keeps safe everyone there’s still a load of numpties out there

Dianehillbilly1957 Fri 25-Jun-21 16:09:45

This is why We're still in this state!! Idiots!

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 25-Jun-21 14:44:59

Lin52

If your child is sent home to self isolate, but has no symptoms, a parent or sibling does not have to self isolate. This is advice given to my family in such a case. Obviously different if they are symptomatic.

You are right, my son and DIL are in the situation now. It is only my granddaughter who has to stay at home. However, the way the OP is written, suggests the mother had all her children with her, which obviously is against the law.

Tricia247uk Fri 25-Jun-21 14:29:38

It doesn't surprise me that people are not isolating; it does surprise me that someone would advertise the fact so publicly

Luckygirl Fri 25-Jun-21 14:07:28

The longer this sort of behaviour goes on, the longer we will all be locked into lockdowns, and the more people will die.

Flakesdayout Fri 25-Jun-21 14:03:38

I will be continuing to wear a mask and will keep my distance. I do not want to and would love to get back to normal but as my immune system is compromised I still need to be careful. I just wish other people would show more consideration for those of us who could get really ill if we caught it.

songstress60 Fri 25-Jun-21 12:24:28

A whole room full of children should NOT be sent home because one child is positive for the virus. They are missing their education.

Janetashbolt Fri 25-Jun-21 12:12:18

why do you think the number of poisitve covid tests keeps increasing, no one seems to be asking who is flouting the rules, hence July 19th extension

Severnsider Fri 25-Jun-21 12:01:21

It's not arrogance it's ignorance. A lot of people don't know what ISOLATE means.

Aepgirl Fri 25-Jun-21 11:52:39

Perhaps she should have been told, in words of one syllable, what ISOLATE means. Some people are just plain arrogant.

nipsmum Fri 25-Jun-21 11:45:57

I suspect we are going to have to live with various infections in the future. As someone on the radio said, life is a risk, we learn to live with risk everyday. Panic is what causes problems too. Also mixed messages and biased information.

Doodledog Fri 25-Jun-21 11:37:25

Pepine

32 deaths in under 19s Shirlb but of course many more people throughout the population will have died, been hospitalised, experienced debilitating symptoms and suffered from long Covid as a result of being infected by a child. I’m not sure what the point of your comments were but hope the above has given you some useful information.

Hear, hear.

Jillybird Fri 25-Jun-21 11:36:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pepine Fri 25-Jun-21 11:35:05

32 deaths in under 19s Shirlb but of course many more people throughout the population will have died, been hospitalised, experienced debilitating symptoms and suffered from long Covid as a result of being infected by a child. I’m not sure what the point of your comments were but hope the above has given you some useful information.

Wigtown Fri 25-Jun-21 11:31:48

Well said Amalegra!! Couldn’t agree more .

Amalegra Fri 25-Jun-21 11:12:08

Official figures tell us vaccines are between 92/96% effective against severe illness and hospitalisation. The number of those vaccinated, both single and double, rises every day. COVID is now endemic in the population, like ‘flu and we have to learn to live with it. Restrictions cannot continue like this, nor can citizens accept the double standards and blunders not only of this government but of other international organisations. I, for one, have had enough now!

RosieJ18 Fri 25-Jun-21 11:03:41

This stupid ,selfish , ignorant behaviour is why we are still under this virus grip !
It makes me livid !,!,!,!,!,!,
Even if not as many people are dying the effects of “ LONG COVID “ will be with us forever people .

Growing0ldDisgracefully Fri 25-Jun-21 10:59:33

Not surprising, and links to the rightly indignant post on here a day or so ago, because of the contradictory standards being set. Ie the large football crowds etc which are permissable, the G7 summit meeting 'cosiness' at the barbecue which was OK, but family gatherings are not. I feel like many, confused and/or sick of the double standards, sick and tired of lockdown, and not surprised at the varying behaviour of the general public. Disappointed but not surprised Freedom Day didn't happen on 21 June, and on 19 July all my face masks are going in the bin. After all, a government minister has said they won't be required after that, and we're supposed to follow what they say, not what they do, aren't we?

Alioop Fri 25-Jun-21 10:52:30

I can bet there has been loads of people that don't bother, they just don't care anymore and shops, restaurants, etc are just full of them.