Gransnet forums

Chat

Jab or Jag?

(47 Posts)
Gwenisgreat1 Sat 26-Jun-21 12:18:33

They seem to describe the vaccinations as Jabs (in England) in Scotland they were always Jags

What do you call them?

rascal Sat 26-Jun-21 22:43:52

Jag.

Juliet27 Sat 26-Jun-21 22:49:27

Jab

ElaineI Sun 27-Jun-21 00:25:20

Before I retired it was always jag (Scotland) or injection. Usually when giving it to someone after preparing them, "Right here's the wee jag".
Jab to me means someone poking you.
When speaking about it on TV I think it should be referred to as a vaccination because that is what it is.
When nursing the jags I had to give included vitamin B12, flu, pneumonia, hepatitis A & B, shingles, methotrexate, heparin, vitamin D, swine flu, testosterone, goseralin etc etc When there is something new it is better to refer to it as what it is not as just a jag or jab. Many people who have the covid vaccinations will also be having other injections be specific.

BigBertha1 Sun 27-Jun-21 07:35:52

As a Nurse I often said 'just a small prick' if I thought it would get a laugh but you probably be sacked now for saying that.

Lucca Sun 27-Jun-21 08:09:10

Two threads on this! Vital stuff clearly.

Grammaretto Mon 28-Jun-21 05:29:14

I had never heard jab used for vacccination before the covid.
Jags occasionally here in Scotland but usually it's injections.

MawBe Mon 28-Jun-21 06:16:02

Remember when John Prescott was known as “Two Jags” ? Different meaning altogether, North of the Border!
(Given his age he probably had them some months ago)

MawBe Mon 28-Jun-21 09:22:11

Chewbacca

My next door neighbour said he'd been for his prick. I must have looked stunned because his wife quickly added "He means he went for his jab this morning".

Oops! ???

annodomini Mon 28-Jun-21 09:39:30

We were all lined up and the teacher said. 'It's just a wee jag'. My parents had always used the correct vocabulary - inoculation - so I had a meltdown, while all the other five-year-olds bared their arms. To her embarrassment, my Mum was sent for. Once she had explained what it meant, I had my diphtheria vaccination like a good little girl!

Callistemon Mon 28-Jun-21 10:03:07

Kali2

I didn't understand the OP first as I have never heard of the 'jag'. And I thought, why has it got to be a choice, DD1 has both! Jab x 2 and a Jag.

I had to read that twice (bit slow on the uptake on a Monday!)
?

A jag sounds more vicious than a jab
Perhaps I'm thinking of a jagged edge rather than a neat tiny hole.

I tend to say vaccination.
I've used inoculation previously too although I know that isn't correct.

Callistemon Mon 28-Jun-21 10:04:34

Chewbacca

My next door neighbour said he'd been for his prick. I must have looked stunned because his wife quickly added "He means he went for his jab this morning".

???

Just a little prick!

Chewbacca Mon 28-Jun-21 10:52:00

I'm sure I wouldn't know Callistemon! grin

Callistemon Mon 28-Jun-21 10:53:40

?

watermeadow Mon 28-Jun-21 17:53:08

I’m amazed that someone did not know that jabs are called jags in Scotland. Don’t we all know dozens of foreign words and terms after 70 years of TV and 30 of social media?
I have a friend who loves American films (I don’t) but when an American asked where the “rest room” was she offered her a chair. Luckily I knew she meant the loo.

Ali08 Tue 29-Jun-21 10:54:45

I call them jabs or injections.
I'm not sure where they got jag/s from, and that doesn't even make sense to me!

Alegrias1 Tue 29-Jun-21 10:58:40

I'm not sure where they got jag/s from, and that doesn't even make sense to me!

Scotland. And it makes sense to us.

Marydoll Tue 29-Jun-21 11:33:44

jag means prickly, as in jaggy nettles , so it makes perfect sense to we Scots!

Jabby nettles doesn't quite have the same ring to it!

sodapop Tue 29-Jun-21 11:45:23

Now the question being asked is " are you double jabbed" that is doubly irritating.

Kalu Tue 29-Jun-21 11:48:50

Jag/jaggy nettles is what I was thinking too Marydoll

Jag may be a colloquialism only used in Scotland but we all know what it means.

AKA. Kalu. 2 x jags ?

Kalu Tue 29-Jun-21 11:53:39

SiL in Australia reported he has now had his second jag ?
What a terrible influence our DD has had on him!

Marydoll Tue 29-Jun-21 12:44:48

?