Gransnet forums

Chat

Chris Whitty

(102 Posts)
Daisymae Tue 29-Jun-21 11:12:45

The papers this morning are carrying photos of CW being accosted/assaulted by two thugs who are intent on taking selfies. Apparently this is not the first time that it's happened and there's talk of him being provided with security. Seriously what can make these people think that they have the right to do this? I hope they are found and charged. They have their moment of fame so I guess that tracing then won't be a problem.

Gwyneth Tue 06-Jul-21 16:35:19

I would have been very afraid had it happened to me. Would posters saying ‘that these two men didn’t mean any harm’ have said they same had it happened to a woman? Probably not. Double standards maybe? These two behaved disgracefully and need to face the consequences of their actions.

Baggs Tue 06-Jul-21 14:32:58

Whitty himself did not want to bring charges against the men so I guess he realised they thought it was a good joke ?. Still horrible though.

It's good he has more protection now.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 06-Jul-21 14:24:26

B9exchange if they had put you into a headlock and were being loud and unruly would you have just shrugged it off?

I would have been terrified .

Callistemon Tue 06-Jul-21 14:20:44

I agree Mapleleaf
And with Sparklefizz, MawB and others.

Mapleleaf Tue 06-Jul-21 14:14:25

I wonder how many of the posters leaping to the defence of these two men who accosted Prof. Whittey would be saying ‘they didn’t mean any harm” if it had been them or a member of their family these two men grabbed about the shoulder and neck, shouting and carrying on, wanting a “selfie” and attempting to do so by force and against the will of the accosted? I think they’d be calling a different tune, to be honest.
In my view, these two men do need bringing to account and I’m pleased that the police are bringing a prosecution of common assault, as that is what it was.

MawBe Tue 06-Jul-21 13:55:46

Sparklefizz

B9 You say the young men "didn't actually mean any harm". Well, your hindsight is a wonderful thing. How was Chris Whitty to know that he wouldn't suddenly get a knife between his ribs? One of the guys had him in a headlock. It was assault, no two ways about it.

“They didn’t mean any harm”
Yes, but they caused it. It was indeed “common assault” and no mealy mouthed excuses about “high spirits” should be offered or accepted.
It’s like sexual harassment being dismissed as “locker room banter” and I leave to your imagination what I think of that. ?

25Avalon Tue 06-Jul-21 13:52:31

A second man has been charged with common assault.

Mollygo Sat 03-Jul-21 15:08:53

B9 You may believe ‘a firm talking to’ and ‘a night in the cells to sober up’ would have been sufficient punishment.
I disagree, and even if in this instance it would have been enough, the punishment that was given is more likely to deter others from doing the same.

SueDonim Sat 03-Jul-21 14:51:19

So it’s ok to behave in an obnoxious manner as long as you’re drunk?

Sparklefizz Sat 03-Jul-21 14:40:29

B9 You say the young men "didn't actually mean any harm". Well, your hindsight is a wonderful thing. How was Chris Whitty to know that he wouldn't suddenly get a knife between his ribs? One of the guys had him in a headlock. It was assault, no two ways about it.

B9exchange Sat 03-Jul-21 11:25:50

I can think of many young men who go out and get drunk and lose their inhibitions. I don't agree with the prosecution or the sacking of one of them. They didn't actually mean any harm and Chris Whitty wasn't injured. I can't help thinking if it had been someone else in the news at the moment they might have given the selfie and left them to it. Yes, they were loud and 'in your face' as a lot of drunk people are, yes if you want to castigate them they were breaching social distancing. But I believe a firm talking to and perhaps a night in the cells to sober up would have been enough.

JaneJudge Sat 03-Jul-21 11:17:03

I agree galaxy, having issues with executive function could just be a reason for, not an excuse for

Galaxy Sat 03-Jul-21 11:11:26

I think that's a really quite complex discussion in terms of autism, many of the children I work with are unable to manage their own behaviour at times, it's not about excuses. I have no idea about the man who did this and I think making sweeping statements either way in terms of autism usnt helpful.

Sarnia Sat 03-Jul-21 11:08:25

NfkDumpling

I read it wrongly then. I felt sure the mother was talking about her son, the estate agent, as being on the autistic spectrum and now I can't find the article. Perhaps they all are!!

It was the estate agent's friend who is autistic. Like other posters I get fed up with people using being drunk or autistic as an excuse for their unacceptable behaviour.

NfkDumpling Fri 02-Jul-21 20:21:38

I read it wrongly then. I felt sure the mother was talking about her son, the estate agent, as being on the autistic spectrum and now I can't find the article. Perhaps they all are!!

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 02-Jul-21 17:25:28

I believe drink would have been the cause of the problem, that's the excuse usually made. So why on earth do people drink so much they can't control their actions? I don't think it's excusable in those circumstances1

Aveline Fri 02-Jul-21 16:18:02

I agree. So many adults with AS are fed up with people using it as an excuse.

Callistemon Fri 02-Jul-21 15:07:17

SueDonim

I have a number of friends with ADHD/autistic AC and they are just so fed up with their condition being used as an excuse in this way. Not one of them has an AC who would behave in this manner - most in fact tend to avoid people, not go round demanding selfies.

I agree. It should not be used as an excuse for loutish behaviour.

SueDonim Fri 02-Jul-21 15:03:17

I have a number of friends with ADHD/autistic AC and they are just so fed up with their condition being used as an excuse in this way. Not one of them has an AC who would behave in this manner - most in fact tend to avoid people, not go round demanding selfies.

growstuff Fri 02-Jul-21 14:42:36

25Avalon

The police have arrested the ex estate agent one with common assault. I think it is the other one who has adhd and is autistic.

That's what I thought too. As far as I'm concerned, it serves him right. Even if he's not charged and/or prosecuted, he's hopefully learnt a lesson and other people might think twice about their actions. I just hope he doesn't become some kind of martyr.

25Avalon Fri 02-Jul-21 12:48:50

The police have arrested the ex estate agent one with common assault. I think it is the other one who has adhd and is autistic.

growstuff Fri 02-Jul-21 12:48:43

I might have got this wrong, but I thought it was the ex estate agent himself who posted the video online. He can't now be surprised if he's being subjected to a trial by media.

NfkDumpling Fri 02-Jul-21 12:41:17

The (ex) estate agent's mum says he's autistic, had had a couple of pints and didn't realise he was doing anything wrong. An he's very, very sorry. So, he's not a yob at all.

Namsnanny Fri 02-Jul-21 11:49:52

Thanks for the update MawBe

Namsnanny Fri 02-Jul-21 11:45:11

Callistemon

^We let terrorists and murderers have a second chance in this country dont we?^
Dont these two deserve the same?

It wasn't due to government intervention that this lout lost his job.
He worked for a private company which was customer-facing; they could not risk having an employee who might not be trusted to behave appropriately in front of clients and they would not want the bad publicity either.

I wouldn't want him working for me.

My point being, this is trial by media.

Ultimately he lost his job because his behaviour put his company in a poor light.

I dont like what he did, but equally, I dont like how he has been treated.

I just think it should be down to CW and/or a police to decided how this is handled. No one else.