Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this acceptable?

(19 Posts)
Mollygo Mon 12-Jul-21 15:01:26

My DD just sent this clip about the actors who were employed at a Redbridge Library to encourage children’s reading.
How sick can you get?

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.breitbart.com/europe/2021/07/11/watch-rainbow-monkey-dildo-story-hour-at-london-library/amp/

felice Mon 12-Jul-21 15:05:58

confused If anyone complained they would probably be accused of something.
How would you explain that to a child, anwsers on a postcard please.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 12-Jul-21 15:07:37

I would certainly need more verifiable evidence than take Brietbart at its word. Ghastly rag. Who on earth reads that?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 12-Jul-21 15:15:42

I have seen the same rainbow monkey, without appendage depicted in the centre aisle of wonder in Aldi, apparently encouraging parents to buy books for their children.

I think it’s a hoax.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 12-Jul-21 15:17:56

GrannyGravy13

I have seen the same rainbow monkey, without appendage depicted in the centre aisle of wonder in Aldi, apparently encouraging parents to buy books for their children.

I think it’s a hoax.

For once we agree. Breitbart does nothing without an agenda. Far right white supremicists publication. Supporter of populist governments.

25Avalon Mon 12-Jul-21 15:21:37

WWM2 it wasn’t just on Breitbart. It was in the Evening Standard and I think I saw it in another National, as well as it being posted on UTube.

Quite disgusting and inappropriate. The library have cancelled the contract now.

Btw I occasionally dip into Breitbart.

lemongrove Mon 12-Jul-21 15:23:18

Having looked it up, Redbridge Council have apologised to parents about this, they commissioned a group of performing street artists based in Clapham to do this.They are called Mandinga Arts. The rainbow monkey suit features exposed genitalia and anus.
Somebody forgot to mention this fact to the Council.

nadateturbe Mon 12-Jul-21 15:24:33

Just wrong! Unbelievable.

lemongrove Mon 12-Jul-21 15:25:08

Whitewave ...Not everything is about far right populists you know ( or maybe you don’t.)
?

MerylStreep Mon 12-Jul-21 15:28:02

I’ve checked one of the tweets in the article and it is on the persons Twitter feed.

Blossoming Mon 12-Jul-21 15:34:00

It’s also on Facebook along with a letter from Wes Streeting, the MP for Redbridge.

Lin52 Mon 12-Jul-21 15:34:20

GrannyGravy13

I think it’s a hoax.

Here you are and according to this it is true

www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/london-library-apologises-for-bringing-actor-dressed-in-bare-bottom-monkey-costume-to-childrens-event/ar-AAM3fb3

Whitewavemark2 Mon 12-Jul-21 15:37:46

lemongrove

Whitewave ...Not everything is about far right populists you know ( or maybe you don’t.)
?

This far right publication Breitbart is. Mind you its sales have plummeted and its populist nationalist stance is no longer widely read. People are turning away from such extremes, with its cruel and divisive tone, and looking for a more considered reporting without the unpleasant and tasteless undertones.

lemongrove Mon 12-Jul-21 15:42:57

I’ve never even heard of it, so must be a niche market.
What I meant was that even an politically extreme magazine or paper can carry a true story....which this is.

25Avalon Mon 12-Jul-21 16:06:06

Lemongrove no need to subscribe you can find an online version for free at Breitbart.com London and Europe. I doubt WWW2 has ever read it. Some of the articles are quite interesting, there are always facts, but you don’t have to agree with their interpretation thereof. Some articles I agree with and some I don’t - same as when I read the Guardian but I don’t make disparaging remarks about it and it’s readers although it too has less suns risers and circulation problems.

25Avalon Mon 12-Jul-21 16:06:55

Subscribers not sun risers.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 12-Jul-21 16:27:17

25Avalon

Lemongrove no need to subscribe you can find an online version for free at Breitbart.com London and Europe. I doubt WWW2 has ever read it. Some of the articles are quite interesting, there are always facts, but you don’t have to agree with their interpretation thereof. Some articles I agree with and some I don’t - same as when I read the Guardian but I don’t make disparaging remarks about it and it’s readers although it too has less suns risers and circulation problems.

You can put your doubts to one side. I have often had a look at it.

It is as I said a far right American publication, that aligns with the alt-right, with much of its content misogynistic, xenophobic and racist in tone.

It frequently publishes intentionally misleading stories, and conspiracy theories.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 12-Jul-21 16:33:09

Obviously the image I saw on Twitter was a mock up , just goes to show you cannot believe everything you see on social media sites.

Chestnut Mon 12-Jul-21 16:53:59

lemongrove

Having looked it up, Redbridge Council have apologised to parents about this, they commissioned a group of performing street artists based in Clapham to do this.They are called Mandinga Arts. The rainbow monkey suit features exposed genitalia and anus.
Somebody forgot to mention this fact to the Council.

In addition to what Lemongrove has explained above it says that Mandinga openly professes support for leftist activist causes. Therefore the perpetrators of the crime were left wing and maybe Whitewavemark2 should get worked up about that instead of criticising the publication for being right wing.