Gransnet forums

Chat

No sleep

(93 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 21-Jul-21 06:55:09

I had a terrible night last night, about 2 hours sleep. Tossing and turning,drinking cold water, up and down to the bathroom, roll on when its cooler once more at night. I have a busy day today as well(isnt that always the way) Shopping and getting petrol for the car. My Niece is coming round this afternoon and then i have a committee meeting this evening with the bowling club. All i want to do is slump in the armchair. Going to try and get to the shops by 9am then maybe i can catch 40winks when i get home before my niece arrives.

Catterygirl Sun 25-Jul-21 23:52:42

Me and DH are lucky to have two bedrooms. He has 3 windows open and two fans. I am happy with the windows closed and wearing pyjamas with a winter tog quilt. I feel the cold badly since reaching my sixties and feel for those of you who struggle in the heat. I think it might be because dad got engineering jobs abroad and I just got used to the heat. Sleep well. It’s much cooler tonight.

Aldom Sat 24-Jul-21 09:45:44

llizzie2

travelsafar Presumably, you started all that coming and going since the easing 19th July?

How did you sleep the previous heatwave? Why did you not get a fan? Perhaps if you stopped running around like a blue...... fly, you might be able to settle down more calmly at night, but then again, you would not be able to tell us how busy you are.

It takes a lot to make me angry, but your post has succeeded. Especially your last, sarcastic comment.
Travelsafar is a brave woman. She is not boasting.
You clearly know nothing about her. Some of us know what she has recently had to endure. This lady is trying to do her best to cope with life as she now knows it. She has my full admiration. If you can't be constructive when you post, just leave it and scroll past.

Grandmafrench Fri 23-Jul-21 17:24:38

FannyCornforth

Really rude and insensitive llizzie
I think that you should either apologise or ask for your post to be removed
You were bang out of order

Yes, what a sour, ill-tempered and completely pointless post. And I hope that if you had even the slightest clue as to travelsafar’s recent history (and a shred of decency), you’d want to re-think your ‘comment’.

Gabrielle56 Fri 23-Jul-21 17:03:30

Ha ha! I have visions of folks kipping in the bath tub à là drunken student......! I angle my Venetians up at the bottom of window and open top half windows. Also have blackouts over window reveal to keep heat behind it, it works well to maintain cool during day and I sleep with posh pink eye mask! They really work to blank light I use them on planes/coaches/unfamiliar venues etc.

effalump Fri 23-Jul-21 16:32:50

I don't cover myself up and if I get overheated, I have a spray bottle with cold water in it which I spray up into the air and it falls onto my skin like a gentle, cool rain. Cools me down instantly. I keep spray bottles from hair products for this reason but also for when I paint in watercolours to get textures on my paintings. A few days ago, I was going to the corner shop for a newspaper and a young girl was washing her mum's car with a power washer. She stopped as I approached but I asked her to continue and I walked through the wet mist. It was bliss!

Saetana Fri 23-Jul-21 14:36:50

winterwhite I wrap a towel around my pillow when its this hot - I'm menopausal and my face and head get really hot and sweaty at night. Stops my pillow getting soaked and means I get better sleep.

Saetana Fri 23-Jul-21 14:31:39

Apparently those in hot countries say do not open doors and windows when the temperature outside is hotter than the temperature inside. I've been trialling this for a couple of years now and it definitely works! Also closing curtains in sun-facing rooms during the day - we keep our bedroom curtains permanently closed at this time of year and its usually a few degrees cooler in there than any other room in the apartment.

MayBee70 Fri 23-Jul-21 10:36:27

Not actually due to the heat but I have trouble falling asleep and when I do I often end up with the dog wanting to go out for a wee or I need one and then have to get back to sleep again. So I’ve started listening to Paul McKennas sleep hypnotism tape on utube and it gets me back to sleep straight away. I’ve been sleeping much better since I started listening to them. I don’t do the counting backwards from 300 bit though but just count 1,2,3 etc.

lavenderzen Fri 23-Jul-21 09:56:52

As always we have someone who is spiteful and rude llizzie . I have thought about this recently, really such people as you lizzie should be pitied I think.

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Jul-21 09:03:19

Really rude and insensitive llizzie
I think that you should either apologise or ask for your post to be removed
You were bang out of order

GagaJo Fri 23-Jul-21 08:55:03

Bit rude llizzie.

I have the bedroom window open 24 hours a day at the moment. Also have a big fan I can use if it gets too hot. I'm used to the noise and at times, it acts well as white noise to cover family goings on.

Bad night last night tho. Didn't get to sleep until about 4.30 (nice and cool then) and had a tradesman coming at 8 so no real sleep for me.

Jaxjacky Fri 23-Jul-21 08:45:50

Indeed harsh and unnecessary llizzie2.

Naninka Fri 23-Jul-21 08:08:43

I'm staying up late to do jobs I'm too hot to do during the day. Then waking early too. I'm exhausted and also have 2 grandkids staying for 2 weeks. This means I can't sprawl around naked anywhere. Attic tip is a good one. Thank you. xx

DanniRae Fri 23-Jul-21 08:01:34

Wow llizzie2 that was a bit harsh regarding your post to OP.

Kim19 Fri 23-Jul-21 07:08:02

aonk, ?and it's here for such a short time too.

Grandma70s Fri 23-Jul-21 05:28:04

I’ve been awake since 2.30. Not helped by the fact that I found a huge spider in the bathroom at about midnight. I am not scared of spiders in the ordinary way, but I didn’t fancy it crawling over my face in bed. I put a glass over it and went back to bed, shutting the bathroom door firmly. (It opens off my bedroom.) Then about 4.30 I tried the glass and card method, sliding a stiff card under the glass and trapping the spider. I have just put it out of the window, so that’s a relief.

There is coolish air coming through the windows now, but the sun is rising relentlessly. I just dread another hot day. I’m in the west of the country so it is a couple of days until the cooler weather reaches here.

llizzie2 Fri 23-Jul-21 02:04:34

travelsafar Presumably, you started all that coming and going since the easing 19th July?

How did you sleep the previous heatwave? Why did you not get a fan? Perhaps if you stopped running around like a blue...... fly, you might be able to settle down more calmly at night, but then again, you would not be able to tell us how busy you are.

overthehill Thu 22-Jul-21 22:43:42

I prefer rain/cold than too hotter weather. We've had 3 hot summers and I was dreading this summer was going to turn out the same. It appears that isn't going to be the case.....thankfully. I do like sunny weather of about 24°.

aonk Thu 22-Jul-21 21:02:54

I love the summer and everything about it! Yes I agree it’s hot at the moment but that won’t last forever. I love the light evenings and having doors and windows open all day. I love the thin clothes. It doesn’t take long to get dressed. It’s not always easy to sleep but best not to dwell on it. It really isn’t a big deal as some seem to think. So much better than anoraks, gloves and boots. Cold weather is so unpleasant and not good for the health and the winter lasts forever. Embrace the beauty of the summer and the chance to lead a more outdoor life seeing people and spending time in the country or on the coast.

geekesse Thu 22-Jul-21 20:40:39

glammagran

Geekese where do you live? Near the North Pole maybe if it was only 19c. I’ve done all your suggestions already and it was 31c in my bedroom last night. I thought I would expire!!

Daytime temperatures are in the low 30s, and have been for a few days here in the south east. The minimum temperature that night was 19 degrees. Keeping all windows and curtains closed till after dark, then opening all windows and doors to get a through breeze meant that I managed to get my room that cool around midnight when I went to bed.

One big down side of going to bed early on these hot evenings is that it hasn’t really cooled down yet, so you’re trying to fall asleep in the heat.

glammagran Thu 22-Jul-21 19:45:53

Geekese where do you live? Near the North Pole maybe if it was only 19c. I’ve done all your suggestions already and it was 31c in my bedroom last night. I thought I would expire!!

Aepgirl Thu 22-Jul-21 18:09:37

Thank you, Miss Chataline, I too love the heat (although sometimes the humidity gets a bit much). I detest cold weather and really don’t sleep well when it’s cold. The heat just zonks me out and I sleep far better.

Rosycheeks Thu 22-Jul-21 16:46:43

madeleine45 great tips. I like the sitting in the garden eating cold cherries idea .im always up about 5am because of my cat so i am going to try this tomorrow morning.

bobbydog24 Thu 22-Jul-21 16:45:02

No I didn’t. See how the heat affects meconfused

bobbydog24 Thu 22-Jul-21 16:43:29

Sorry meant can’t.