Gransnet forums

Chat

A Saga of Fire and Ice Lollies.

(115 Posts)
Infinity2 Thu 22-Jul-21 16:56:43

Recently someone on a thread mentioned ye olden days when I was a wee whatever, and a treat of yesterday that you don’t see nowadays - an ice cream wafer. I used to love those.

At home as a kid we didn’t have a fridge ( probably invented but no way we could afford one where I grew up). Ma used to put the milk bottles in a pail of water in the pantry to try and keep it from turning. Everyone shopped daily and summer was a battle to stop things going off.
I won’t relate some of the horrors we were subjected to, the least was weavils all over biscuits and crackers.

As time went by we would get a lolly ice as a treat. They were usually bright orange and dyed all the skin round your mouth and on your hands so you looked like one of the Simpsons.

My favourite lolly ice ever was a Strawberry Mivvi. I don’t know if they still make them or if they do, if they taste the same.
I think they made Pineapple mivvies too.

What was your favourite ice cream or lolly from those golden days ?

Rumpunch Wed 28-Jul-21 10:49:55

annifrance

Just remembered Rossi's icecream in Southend. An Italian family business which recently closed. Part of my childhood eating a cornet from them along the seafront when we lived near there.

The Rossi family are no longer involved but Rossi ice cream is still made in Southend. There are several shops retailing it too.
Some Morrisons and Asdas sell tubs of Rossi ice cream so keep a look out for it.
My Mum used to talk about Rossi ice cream all the time and she lived in Barkingside Ilford at the time.

annifrance Tue 27-Jul-21 12:06:10

Just remembered Rossi's icecream in Southend. An Italian family business which recently closed. Part of my childhood eating a cornet from them along the seafront when we lived near there.

RosemaryAnne Mon 26-Jul-21 20:30:05

Rosycheeks , yes, I remember it being orange. But the texture was just as you said. Thanks

Alioop Mon 26-Jul-21 18:26:11

Iceland shops are selling lollies like the some of the Barrett's sweets. I got a box of banana shaped flavoured ice cream and they took me right back to my childhood and also doing Funny Feet from the 1980s.

Granmarderby10 Mon 26-Jul-21 15:04:35

Does anyone remember an ice lolly that had soft toffee at its’ centre attached to the stick it might have been a fruity or chocolatey lolly….
Oh and ice cream boats from the ice cream van- boat shaped plastic container with ice cream and what must have been tinned fruit salad and a sprinkling of chopped nuts I definitely remember my older brother always getting one; this would be* mid 1960s*

Mid60s

Rosycheeks Mon 26-Jul-21 10:22:21

I think they made it in orange too.

RosemaryAnne Mon 26-Jul-21 08:25:44

Everest (as in mountain) would make total sense as we would draw a mountain in that triangular shape. I was beginning to think I'd made it up as I couldn't find anyone who remembered it. Thanks

RosemaryAnne Mon 26-Jul-21 08:21:40

Rosycheeks the name doesn't ring a bell, but it was definitely a soft ice so could well have been that. Thank you.

Rosycheeks Mon 26-Jul-21 08:13:24

Was it an Everest lolly like soft ice lemonade? RosemaryAnne.

RosemaryAnne Mon 26-Jul-21 07:57:34

I was hoping someone would come up with the name of my favourite lolly sold in the sweet shop. Would have been in the 50s. It was triangular with a thin cardboard wrapping which came off round all three sides. It had a lovely texture to it. Never yet met anyone else who has heard of it, let alone remembers what it was called.

Whiff Mon 26-Jul-21 06:14:08

Infinity2 and everyone one else . It was lovely reliving my childhood through ice cream and lollies. Many of you mentioned my favourites . When my nan was in hospital. Dad used to take my brother and me to the shop opposite while mom visited her. We had raspberry ripple ice cream on a stick. Yum. We used to have a milk lolly they where thin shaped cylinders from the grocers who also sold broken biscuits in large metal tins lined with white paper. Brought by the quarter of a pound .
Happy memories.

glammagran Mon 26-Jul-21 02:22:45

Infinity2 Try Soleros which are pretty much the same as mivvis. They come in tropical and berry varieties.

glammagran Mon 26-Jul-21 02:20:53

Chewbacca Jubbly’s do not engender fond memories for me. I was given a detention after I was caught consuming one at the back of the class, aged 12.

nanna8 Mon 26-Jul-21 00:04:43

I remember the first time I had Neapolitan ice cream and thought it was miraculous. I would have been about 5 or 6 , in the 1950s. I used to like those lime green icy things with ice cream in the middle. We call things icy poles here but they weren’t called that in London.

keriku Sun 25-Jul-21 23:13:29

We didn’t have a fridge till I was about 10. It was a Prestcold and came from a Prefab that was being demolished. We used to buy those blocks of ice cream from the wee shop opposite our house and mum would slice it up so we all got a bit. Being from a big family I still say I could pour out equal sized Tupperware tumblers of juice with my eyes shut! Sadly, two local Italian ice cream cafes have closed in the last year or so. No more Irn Bru ice cream for us.

NotSpaghetti Sun 25-Jul-21 22:53:21

I can't remember when we bought a fridge-freezer but we definitely didn't have one in 1992.

nexus63 Sun 25-Jul-21 22:34:53

when the ice-cream van came round my gran used to throw me a threepenny bit from the veranda to get a cone with raspberry sauce, as i got bigger she would take me to a wee cafe and get me ice-cream and ginger beer, on my birthday i got a knickerbocker glory. at school i would go to the shop and get a jubbly, as i got older i am less keen on ice cream but sometimes i buy the fab ice lollies.

Infinity2 Sun 25-Jul-21 22:00:37

Rigger - Yes the good old days NOT ! I think fridges and freezers were the best inventions ever !

I must confess to eating two Magnums today and I don’t even like them that much, I think they’re too creamy. And they were salted caramel which I hate. But I ate them because I was hot !

Riggie Sun 25-Jul-21 21:45:43

BlueBelle

infinity I m with you, no fridge. Milk kept in water in an large earthenware vessel meat kept under a mesh umbrella thingy in the pantry, shopped daily
Strawberry Mivvi was my absolute favourite

Relatives of mine didn't have a fridge ever. I remember taking my new dh to visit them in 1995 and he was horrified by the sterilised milk. (He drinks his tea and coffee black but Uncle was deaf and didn't hear the request). They weren't poor but Uncle was a miser and controlled the purse strings.

Bijou Sun 25-Jul-21 19:18:32

I remember when the Walls ice cream came riding around on a bicycle .
I didn’t get a fridge until 1960 but the milkman came round every day as did the baker and butcher when we lived in London. I made a sort of ice cream with evaporated milk.

Infinity2 Sun 25-Jul-21 18:57:13

I’d forgotten those small round banana flavoured lolly ices - they were delicious.

MamaCaz Sun 25-Jul-21 18:55:40

I liked an ice cream push-up from Coletta's ice cream van (theirs was my favourite brand of ice cream).

If the Dixon's van came around, I usually had a lime teddy bear ice lolly, because I wasn't keen on their ice cream.

In my teens, I liked an ice cream wafer made with the thick, chocolatey wafers!

Mmm - I will have to go raid the freezer now for some sort of ice cream grin

Kacee Sun 25-Jul-21 18:48:51

Rosie heels we used to have Tizer with ice cream, I used to love it.

I also remember playing lolly sticks. When you had finished your lollies one of you would hold it between two hands and the other would have to break it in the middle. It could get a bit painful at times.

labradorlinda33 Sun 25-Jul-21 18:43:28

Nothing could be nicer than a Pendleton's twicer...
I've never forgotten that ditty...

ElaineI Sun 25-Jul-21 18:41:10

We've never stopped having ice cream vans round the streets and to the park in the summer and weekends. Now the grandchildren run in wanting money smile. Favourite for DGS2 age 3 is a vanilla cone with red (raspberry) sauce - no flake, no sprinkles granny! The older 2 are more discerning. There have been ice cream wars in Midlothian between sellers!