Gransnet forums

Chat

A Saga of Fire and Ice Lollies.

(114 Posts)
Infinity2 Thu 22-Jul-21 16:56:43

Recently someone on a thread mentioned ye olden days when I was a wee whatever, and a treat of yesterday that you don’t see nowadays - an ice cream wafer. I used to love those.

At home as a kid we didn’t have a fridge ( probably invented but no way we could afford one where I grew up). Ma used to put the milk bottles in a pail of water in the pantry to try and keep it from turning. Everyone shopped daily and summer was a battle to stop things going off.
I won’t relate some of the horrors we were subjected to, the least was weavils all over biscuits and crackers.

As time went by we would get a lolly ice as a treat. They were usually bright orange and dyed all the skin round your mouth and on your hands so you looked like one of the Simpsons.

My favourite lolly ice ever was a Strawberry Mivvi. I don’t know if they still make them or if they do, if they taste the same.
I think they made Pineapple mivvies too.

What was your favourite ice cream or lolly from those golden days ?

Rosie51 Thu 22-Jul-21 17:03:06

There was a milk lolly that came in chocolate, banana and strawberry options, and that was the order of my preference. They weren't tiny like the little tube shaped milk lollies you get now, they were the size and shape of a mivvi. 3d each smile Woolworths used to do an ice cream wafer, a neopolitan (?) that had green icecream as one of the three colours, was it supposed to be pistachio? Loved that too.

BlueBelle Thu 22-Jul-21 17:08:41

infinity I m with you, no fridge. Milk kept in water in an large earthenware vessel meat kept under a mesh umbrella thingy in the pantry, shopped daily
Strawberry Mivvi was my absolute favourite

Chewbacca Thu 22-Jul-21 17:09:12

My favourite was the Orange Jubbly. You got a whackinggreat lump of ice and then, just as you reached the bottom, the real orange juice that made all that sucking, and frozen fingers, worthwhile!

AGAA4 Thu 22-Jul-21 17:09:16

I remember playing out with my friends and hearing the ice cream van approaching, running into the house for some money (didn't always get some) and then waiting in a queue till it was my turn. I loved Mivvies, ice lollies or little cones with a dollop of ice cream on top.

Hellogirl1 Thu 22-Jul-21 17:16:58

I used to like having an ice cream cornet off the van, and the man would squirt raspberry vinegar into it, they don`t do that nowadays. As for iced lollies, I liked the blue spearmint flavoured ones, when you got to the bottom (it was a tubular shape) there was a piece of chewing gum. They were a big treat, as my mother didn`t allow chewing gum, we never told her what was in the lolly!

Callistemon Thu 22-Jul-21 17:51:23

I preferred Mivvies to corners or wafers until I realised much nicer cones were available.
It was the wafers I disliked.
I don't like the Whippy icecream either.

Callistemon Thu 22-Jul-21 17:51:55

Cornets

Be told Autocorrect - cornets

ginny Thu 22-Jul-21 18:02:31

I loved Oysters.
Shell shaped wafers, marshmallow in the arrow end, chocolate and coconut, . Filled with ice cream.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 22-Jul-21 18:04:32

I love pineapple splits. Hardly anyone sells them now. Sainsbury’s sell them in a mixed box, but they aren’t as big as I remember!

Lexisgranny Thu 22-Jul-21 18:07:30

I was the boring child who did not like ice cream or ice lollies, but oddly enough I do like Rum and Raisin and Salted caramel now.

Infinity2 Thu 22-Jul-21 18:12:08

Lexisgranny - I don’t believe you were ever boring !

Tea3 Thu 22-Jul-21 18:16:41

Bring back the strawberry mivvie!

Callistemon Thu 22-Jul-21 18:30:13

And the pineapple one!

Auntieflo Thu 22-Jul-21 18:30:44

I used to like the Polo ice cream, and it was really creamy.
It was round, as in a slice and had a cardboard cover.
Anyone else remember them?

Rosycheeks Thu 22-Jul-21 18:38:55

My dad used to make us ice cream and Tizer. I remember we all had the measels and my dad made a tent out of sheets in the summer in the garden and we all had Tizer and ice cream. Funny what you remember I must have been very young.

Rosycheeks Thu 22-Jul-21 18:39:32

Or it could have been chicken pox.

Kim19 Thu 22-Jul-21 18:44:47

My favourite treat ice cream name would be completely politically incorrect now. It comprised of ice cream between one plain wafer and one chocolate marshmallow one. Bliss. High days and holidays for one of these.

Infinity2 Thu 22-Jul-21 19:28:37

Oh there are some lovely icy memories mentioned here !
I’d forgotten those Oyster shells !

The first time ma bought an Arctic Roll, we all sat and stared at it. We were in awe - thinking it was so posh ?

MiniMoon Thu 22-Jul-21 20:24:13

We used to have an ice cream man who visited our road once a week. He came from a neighbouring town and his ice cream was home made. We bought an ice cream cone with strawberry syrup drizzled over.
If I'd saved enough of my meagre pocket money a marshmallow wafer was my treat.
I also liked a mivvi.

GagaJo Thu 22-Jul-21 20:33:39

Midnight Mint choc ices. They were my mums favourite really but I also liked them.

V3ra Thu 22-Jul-21 20:41:42

One ice cream van that came round in the evenings sold a "witches hat," which was an ice lolly with an ice cream cone upside down on the top of it.
Best of both worlds! ?

Rosycheeks Fri 23-Jul-21 06:18:37

Did anyone have a toffee apple man we used to. He used to ride a bike with a big basket shouting "Toffee Apples!" We always brought one they were brown toffee not the red ones or choc you get in shops these days. Surprise we kids wernt toothless

Shelflife Fri 23-Jul-21 06:53:21

' cider lollies' remember those ?

tanith Fri 23-Jul-21 07:04:22

We had an Italian family who ran the local grocery shop the dad made ice cream and kept it in a freezer that had two metal lids inside one side ice cream and in the other he would put penny lollies into a teacup full of Tizer and freeze them so you had this great lump of frozen Tizer lopsided on the top of your penny lolly for threepence they lasted ages. I still love Tizer but can’t seem to find it anymore. Happy days