Gransnet forums

Chat

Recommendations - to learn French

(57 Posts)
Infinity2 Thu 22-Jul-21 23:30:04

In an effort to keep my last brain cell from perishing I want to learn French.
I’ve got a DK Fifteen Minute French course, a book, that I got from a charity shop. It’s very good and I’m enjoying it but I’d really like something with CD’s that I can listen to.
I’ve tried looking online but lots of them seem to be downloads or apps nowadays. I don’t want that as I can’t manage it. I’m the kiss of death to technology and my computer was last seen in a museum.

Could anyone please recommend a beginners French course that comes complete with CD’s that can be bought from a bookshop or my niece can buy for me online ?
I would be grateful for any help ❤️

Infinity2 Sun 25-Jul-21 11:50:51

What great suggestions ! You are all stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Eloethan Mon 26-Jul-21 21:07:49

Thank you Marydoll.

NanKate Tue 27-Jul-21 10:36:06

I’m still using DuoLingo after one and a half years +. I look at the adverts which might keep me in their good books. ?

tickingbird Tue 27-Jul-21 10:44:20

My french course uses ‘Facon de Parler’. Duolingo app is also useful and free but you can pay a fee. I found it very helpful.

Fennel Wed 28-Jul-21 17:58:33

I think the method you use depends also on the reason you want to learn the language.
Do you want to learn a new skill?
Or are you going to live in France and need to communicate with the natives?
If the latter, pronunciation is very important.
When we started french at school we spent the whole first term practising their vowel sounds, and the nasals. en an un in etc. Quite painful.
In SW France the accent suited our broad northern vowels whereas they couldn't understand my friend from Devon.

Fennel Wed 28-Jul-21 18:15:57

ps and if you want to become au fait with what is currently going on in France for reading, try to read magazines and newspapers.
or for auditory french, their radio and TV. this is my main area of weakness since my hearing is failing.