Gransnet forums

Chat

Karen is my Name

(264 Posts)
Oriel Sun 25-Jul-21 11:46:40

I expect that most of you will be aware of the 'Karens'. The use of the name Karen as a go-to insult denoting a middle aged white woman who is ignorant, bossy, insensitive, vulgar and uncouth.

After around a year of seeing the term being used increasingly often I realised that it was having such a negative effect on me so I made the decision to change my name.

I wrote a post on Mumsnet the other day describing my situation and included a link to an Empathy Generator. You insert your own name to get an idea of how it feels to be actually called Karen and suffer constant insults.

I was unsure of the reception my post would get on Mumsnet but there were some lovely supportive comments. People were shocked at how they felt when they input their own name into the generator.

Here is the link if you wish to see it.

karenismyname.org/renamer

My reason for writing here is to find out if I am alone in changing my name for this reason? No-one on Mumsnet had changed their name or knew of anyone who had.

Hellogirl1 Sun 25-Jul-21 17:09:41

I know several people named Karen, at least one on this forum, and including a couple of relatives, they`re all perfectly nice people, with no hang ups or embarrassment about the name Karen. This is the first I`ve heard of anything like this, I quite like the name.

Oriel Sun 25-Jul-21 17:10:24

BlueBelle

Oriel I can’t answer that, why are Kevin’s dumb, Tim’s are dim, Sharon’s are daft and over Essexy, Hyacinths are snobs
I ve no idea perhaps the very first woman caught on camera shouting racist comments happened to have the name I ve no idea !!!
Maybe a US poster can help us on that one

It doesn't sound likely that the origin of the meme came via that route.

One random woman shouting racist comments isn't likely to have spawned something as widespread as the Karen meme.

As you say, perhaps someone can shed some light on the origin of it.

Out of interest, have you looked at the link to website which has the empathy generator which I posted. It shows the extent of the issue and how it has affected people.

Musicgirl Sun 25-Jul-21 17:11:34

I’ve just googled that link. It is horrific. I cannot imagine that any men’s name would be used in such a nasty way. You have my complete sympathy .

fiorentina51 Sun 25-Jul-21 17:23:51

I don't know about Karen's but my husband is an Eddy. If you make a movie, TV show etc and the character is a thick, working class, devious criminal, he's usually called Eddy.
DH is an elderly white working class male of good character, well educated to degree level.
Very boring but he hasn't been driven to changing his name yet.

Oriel Sun 25-Jul-21 17:24:29

@Musicgirl

Thank you for your understanding.

I think there are massive differences between the current Karen meme and the earlier Sharon, Tracey, Essex girl references.

The difference is the absolute hatred conveyed against older women in the Karen meme and of course the insult to those unfortunate enough to be named Karen.

The Sharon, Tracey, Essex girl things were pretty innocuous and light-hearted in comparison.

I can only assume that women called Karen who aren't concerned or offended by it simply haven't realised the extent of the abuse.

Zoejory Sun 25-Jul-21 17:30:57

I have a few friends called Karen. This doesn't bother them but of course we're all different.

Just wanted to point out that it appears that whatever name you put in the empathy generator the results are the same. For men and women's names.

Originated mainly in the States I believe.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53588201

Sara1954 Sun 25-Jul-21 17:35:49

Surely the best way to deal with it is to ignore it, if hoards of Karen’s go around changing their perfectly nice names, it will mean these idiotic people will have won.

Oriel Sun 25-Jul-21 17:50:07

Sara1954

Surely the best way to deal with it is to ignore it, if hoards of Karen’s go around changing their perfectly nice names, it will mean these idiotic people will have won.

It isn't something you can ignore if your actual name is Karen.

Did you put your name into the empathy generator? If so, how did you feel seeing your name being trashed? Could you ignore it?

Hellogirl1 Sun 25-Jul-21 17:57:22

Yes, I can ignore it because it`s a load of bunkum!!

Sara1954 Sun 25-Jul-21 18:06:14

If my name was Karen, I’m pretty certain I could ignore it, I wouldn’t bother to put my name in an empathy generator, if I did, I certainly wouldn’t take the result seriously.

Oriel Sun 25-Jul-21 18:12:45

Sara1954

If my name was Karen, I’m pretty certain I could ignore it, I wouldn’t bother to put my name in an empathy generator, if I did, I certainly wouldn’t take the result seriously.

I didn't think you could be bothered to put your name in.

It's not a 'result' as such, it's just, as the name suggests, a means of seeing how a person called Karen might feel.

This is the description from the website itself:

*A person’s own name produces a special response in the brain; take your time and notice what this is like. Imagine that the internet and mainstream media are full of examples like this, with your name. You can remind yourself that of course, they aren’t talking about you personally. Does that make it better or worse?

All quotes and images are reproduced exactly. Numbers of Likes, Shares, Views, group members, etc. are all accurate. Except where writers specify that they are speaking of “real-life Karens” etc., none of the people described or addressed here as “Karen” were actually named “Karen”.*

MawBe Sun 25-Jul-21 18:28:27

It isn't something you can ignore if your actual name is Karen

Actually it is.

End of

Oriel Sun 25-Jul-21 18:36:32

MawBe

^It isn't something you can ignore if your actual name is Karen^

Actually it is.

End of

How rude!

annodomini Sun 25-Jul-21 19:06:02

The two Karens I know are strong women with successful careers behind them, good relationships and contented in their own skins. I see no reason why they should consider changing their names on account of what is most likely a passing trend.

Sara1954 Sun 25-Jul-21 19:28:01

Mawbe
Agree

Sara1954 Sun 25-Jul-21 19:29:36

I know three Karen’s, if I suggested they may want to change their names, they would think I was being ridiculous.

MawBe Sun 25-Jul-21 19:35:44

Oriel

MawBe

Actually it is.

End of

How rude!

No Oriel not rude.
I am proud to be who I am and if you had had the courtesy to reply to my PM you might have understood why.

Oriel Sun 25-Jul-21 20:19:25

MawBe

Oriel

MawBe

Actually it is.

End of

How rude!

No Oriel not rude.
I am proud to be who I am and if you had had the courtesy to reply to my PM you might have understood why.

You may well be proud of yourself but the fact remains that your response to me was rude.

Calling me discourteous does you no favours either.

Throughout my posts I have answered everyone in a civil tone. I have done my best to present an honest case of where things are at this time. I have offered substantive supporting articles, etc.

If people haven't heard of the meme, then fine... however I expect that they will before long. If people don't want to hear, that's fine too.

I do find it puzzling however, when people such as @Sara1954 takes the time to read and respond numerous times on the subject and yet clearly doesn't want to see the facts and just dismisses the whole topic out of hand.

Sara1954 Sun 25-Jul-21 20:27:38

No Oriel, I did follow your link, and yes it was a bit weird to find my name used in such disgusting ways. But I don’t think I would take it seriously, I know I’m not that person, my friends and family know I’m not that person. It would be much weirder for me to change my name, it’s my name, it’s who I am.

Hellogirl1 Sun 25-Jul-21 20:51:19

Hear hear!!

MawBe Sun 25-Jul-21 21:02:18

How ironic Oriel
I try to send a supportive PM as a Karen to somebody who objects to being classified as a opinionated middle class woman with no manners.
Abd this is what I get?
And you say you have changed your name too confusedconfused

Mogsmaw Sun 25-Jul-21 21:29:08

There is a very interesting discussion on the bbc sounds app
It’s one of the “Tricky” discussions from bbc Scotland called “the Karen Meme”.
It’s a very informative listen and “officer Karen”, Karen Bartke is particularly worth listening to.

Nannarose Sun 25-Jul-21 21:48:33

How informative Gransnet is! Although I am unsure if I want to know this.
I find it upsetting how people can be so horrible.

nexus63 Sun 25-Jul-21 22:00:45

i just tried the empathy generator and it does not matter what name you put in it you get the same thing so i assume it is meant as a joke......late...lack of sleep and fed up so i might not have seen the joke...lol

Chewbacca Sun 25-Jul-21 22:02:50

I think you missed the point of the empathy generator; there was no joke.