Gransnet forums

Chat

Tesco six-packs of bottled water - shortage?

(214 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Mon 26-Jul-21 18:43:01

I buy a six-pack of bottled water each week from Tesco, delivered as part of my grocery delivery.

There are several brands, I usually order a particular one of them, but sometimes it is not available and then I order a different one. I allow a substitution and so various brands arrive in practice.

This week, none of them is available at the store from where my deliveries arrive.

I know there is hot weather. I know there is the pingdemic.

I am just wondering if this is just a temporary glitch locally or something more permanent and widespread going on.

As I do not go to the shops, I am wondering, are the shelves generally bare at present?

I see photos of empty shelves, but it is easy for someone with an agenda to go to the fresh bread aisle at the end of the day and make something of a typical situation for one fresh product that has happened for many years.

toscalily Wed 28-Jul-21 15:19:45

When my son was at University his house mate (both doing various Science/Bio degrees) was involved with testing bottled water, for purity and goodness knows what else. One of the bottled waters mentioned earlier was included and did not come out well to the extent that my son said " don't buy that mum, it really is not very good" Also, didn't a certain well known French water company have problems with contamination few years ago?

MissAdventure Wed 28-Jul-21 15:26:36

It's sod all to do with anyone else what somebody chooses to buy.
I can't believe we have pages of criticism and snidey comments about water.
Particularly from people who enjoy booze.
That doesnt come out so well in the health category.

growstuff Wed 28-Jul-21 15:36:39

I agree MissAdventure.

BTW I've just come back from a short trip to my local Tesco. There were huge gaps in the bottled water and cat food aisles.

(Cue somebody jumping in and saying it's not a problem where they live.)

growstuff Wed 28-Jul-21 15:37:02

toscalily

When my son was at University his house mate (both doing various Science/Bio degrees) was involved with testing bottled water, for purity and goodness knows what else. One of the bottled waters mentioned earlier was included and did not come out well to the extent that my son said " don't buy that mum, it really is not very good" Also, didn't a certain well known French water company have problems with contamination few years ago?

What was wrong with it?

Ealdemodor Wed 28-Jul-21 15:41:23

There seem to be gaps on the shelves everywhere I go.
Having a problem finding skimmed milk now.

toscalily Wed 28-Jul-21 16:06:21

Can't remember exactly but I do remember being told that it did not come out of the testing very well. Before you jump on me for not providing links to verify this I would like to point out it was a few years ago and I was only saying this to point out that not all is as it seems. I have lived abroad and in various places in the UK and mostly we are very lucky to have clean water supplies but, there are places where it is not so good and then it is worth investing in a water filter or buy bottled water if you prefer.

SueDonim Wed 28-Jul-21 16:14:20

Thanks, Jaxjacky but I wasn’t looking to buy any wine. I just happened to notice that those particular shelves were empty. smile

DillytheGardener Wed 28-Jul-21 16:18:22

Just came back from my local big Sainsbury’s and big big gaps in the shelves. Whole aisles with half the shelves empty, is this Covid or Brexit or both?

gangy5 Wed 28-Jul-21 16:57:11

Bottled water has become such a 'big thing' Why buy it? Such a large amount of plastic used to transport it. Hopefully sales will decline at sometime. Such an unnecessary commodity.

Chewbacca Wed 28-Jul-21 17:09:49

Shopped at Aldi and Home Bargains this afternoon. Shelves were full in both and several members of staff were shelf stacking whilst I was there. No sign of shortages here.

Lucca Wed 28-Jul-21 17:27:13

The only gaps on the shelves in my local are for things that I particularly chose to buy that day.
“Oh I think I’ll make that lovely chicken leek mustard creme fraiche recipe”. …..oh no creme fraiche. Cue sulk.

MissAdventure Wed 28-Jul-21 17:39:47

Make it with water. grin

harrigran Wed 28-Jul-21 17:55:23

For some of us bottled water is vital, our tap water is undrinkable. SIL gave us their bottles of water last week so that DH could have water to drink when he was suffering from awful sickness.

Lucca Wed 28-Jul-21 17:56:47

MissAdventure

Make it with water. grin

Mmm…tasty

MissAdventure Wed 28-Jul-21 17:57:51

Tasty but extravagant. wink

FannyCornforth Wed 28-Jul-21 18:00:31

growstuff

I agree MissAdventure.

BTW I've just come back from a short trip to my local Tesco. There were huge gaps in the bottled water and cat food aisles.

(Cue somebody jumping in and saying it's not a problem where they live.)

And of course, why the bloody hell are you buying bottled water, you utter sociopath?
And don’t you know, cats don’t actually need supermarket food - they should fend for themselves (unless it involves wild life)

Lucca Wed 28-Jul-21 18:03:44

MissAdventure

I’ll use Perrier shall I ?

MissAdventure Wed 28-Jul-21 18:12:53

grin
You just don't care, you little flibbertyjibbet!

growstuff Wed 28-Jul-21 20:17:23

Fanny They do their best. We had baked salmon this evening and they sat there looking pitiful. I'm sure one of them said something about a random person on a grannies'website telling him he needs to eat something other than his fave food.

growstuff Wed 28-Jul-21 20:17:47

Lucca

MissAdventure

I’ll use Perrier shall I ?

I prefer Volvic.

JaneJudge Wed 28-Jul-21 20:19:31

growstuff

Fanny They do their best. We had baked salmon this evening and they sat there looking pitiful. I'm sure one of them said something about a random person on a grannies'website telling him he needs to eat something other than his fave food.

grin grin
I imagine he is now planning to take over the website as there doesn't appear to be anyone else in charge...

Callistemon Wed 28-Jul-21 20:23:01

DillytheGardener

Just came back from my local big Sainsbury’s and big big gaps in the shelves. Whole aisles with half the shelves empty, is this Covid or Brexit or both?

Or is it regional?

One interesting thing I noticed was that much of M&S fresh produce was from overseas but much of the fresh produce from Lidl was home-produced.

Callistemon Wed 28-Jul-21 20:27:44

growstuff

Oh really? Of course, I make a habit of criticising people's lifestyles and being nasty towards them! hmm

There is no way in the world I would travel 20-30 miles to a supermarket. Sorry, but I really can think of many better ways to occupy my time. That's why I have groceries delivered anyway.

One example.
I wouldn't have to look far for more.

ElderlyPerson Wed 28-Jul-21 21:09:50

Polly12

MawBe

Sounds as if your problems in that area are over EP smile

Oh, thank goodness - I’ve been so worried for the OP

Please don't worry about me. If push comes to shove I can use tap water.

Also, due to the pandemic, I quarantine everything for a week, so I have enough for ten days or so just coming out of quarantine.

MissAdventure Wed 28-Jul-21 21:22:58

smile