Gransnet forums

Chat

Hurtful comment, never forgotten

(97 Posts)
Shinamae Wed 28-Jul-21 12:34:45

When I was about 15 (68 now) I was in a café in Woolacombe with a friend and these two guys came up chatting to us and one of them said to me “bloody hell you’ve got ugly feet”I was wearing a pair of Dr scholls at the time. I had never realised but he was quite right my feet are ugly so now I never wear sandals.… obviously I have never forgotten that comment.. strange how something like that has never left me even after all these years.Always had flatfeet and fallen arches,I remember going to a clinic when I was younger where they tried to get me to pick up cotton reels and pens with my toes also had to wear awful shoes that were meant to correct the problem but never did and now I have a bunion as well, pretty feet they are not!

MayBee70 Fri 30-Jul-21 13:22:00

Katek

And I bet his feet were beautiful…..not!! Don’t let a stupid remark from a virtual stranger years ago stop you from buying nice shoes or sandals. There are so many different styles nowadays that you should be able to find something that flatters your feet. I came across these for the ultimate fix……yes, they are a ‘thing’! You can buy fake feet with your sandals!!

That’s brilliant. My bunion is so bad that, if I wear sandals it actually looks as if I don’t have a big toe.

Caleo Fri 30-Jul-21 13:31:54

Shinamae, you must have met Basil Fawlty!

Shinamae Sat 31-Jul-21 12:06:36

Caleo

Ummmm, sorry Caleo can’t see the connection ?

Shinamae Sat 31-Jul-21 12:39:00

After reading all the comments on this thread I decided to bite the bullet and buy a pair of mules online, they have arrived today and I have to say I am quite pleased as they do hide a lot of the foot. Have to say I would not have ordered them if I knew they had diamante down the front as that was not shown in the picture but I can live with that. And they are comfortable and they were not that expensive under £30 so thanks to all of you…????? and as you can see by the photo I really need to have a blacksmith look at my hooves, ? failing that a pedicure…

MissAdventure Sat 31-Jul-21 12:41:31

They're a lovely pair of feet! smile
Absolutely fine

Callistemon Sat 31-Jul-21 18:15:07

Shinamae

Caleo

Ummmm, sorry Caleo can’t see the connection ?

Shinamae there is a skit where Basil asks Sybil how her ingrowing toenail is progressing.

I can't seem to link YouTube clips

MissAdventure Sat 31-Jul-21 19:53:38

youtu.be/3ub4odr1eS4

Shinamae Sat 31-Jul-21 20:09:41

Thanks MissA I had quite forgotten how hilarious faulty towers was…????? and cannot recall ever having seen that episode…

MerylStreep Sat 31-Jul-21 20:16:27

Shinamae
My friends feet are far worse than yours. In fact: I don’t think they look that bad.
My friend has no hang ups about her feet ( and the are bad)
When my granddaughter first saw them she asked her whats wrong with your feet my friend answered everything, where do you want me to start
I know this might offend some people but she makes a joke of them.

readsalot Sat 31-Jul-21 20:18:49

Very few people have pretty feet. Yours look fine to me.

MissAdventure Sat 31-Jul-21 20:18:50

I've been told mine look as if they've been smashed into a wall.
They feel like it, too.

Shinamae Sat 31-Jul-21 21:52:34

MerylStreep

Shinamae
My friends feet are far worse than yours. In fact: I don’t think they look that bad.
My friend has no hang ups about her feet ( and the are bad)
When my granddaughter first saw them she asked her whats wrong with your feet my friend answered everything, where do you want me to start
I know this might offend some people but she makes a joke of them.

I think her reply to her granddaughter was hilarious ????

Shinamae Sat 31-Jul-21 21:54:54

As some of you know I work in a care home and I kid you not most of the ladies there have got lovely feet and some of the men’s feet are better than mine!!!?? but thank you for your kind remarks ??

Callistemon Sat 31-Jul-21 22:05:12

Shinamae yours look fine.

I said this evening to DH: "I need a foot transplant"!!

MissAdventure Sat 31-Jul-21 22:31:57

What was his reply? wink

Callistemon Sat 31-Jul-21 22:45:41

He's heard it several times before.
He said he'd offer his if he could but he needs them!

MissAdventure Sat 31-Jul-21 22:55:36

You could have one each and hop.

Callistemon Sat 31-Jul-21 22:59:46

He takes size 9, I'm only little, it would look very odd.
But he has got nice feet, if a bit manly.

Shinamae Sat 31-Jul-21 23:11:17

I am tempted to put a photo on of my left foot with the bunion but think it might get the site shutdown!!! ???? (oh that reminds me I need to watch that film again with Daniel Day Lewis!!)

MissAdventure Sat 31-Jul-21 23:12:25

Ooh, go on!
I'll show you my hammer toe.

Callistemon Sat 31-Jul-21 23:16:16

I think I'll win the prize for worst feet.
?

MissAdventure Sat 31-Jul-21 23:19:21

Prove it! grin

Callistemon Sat 31-Jul-21 23:20:04

Absolutely not.

I wouldn't want to give Granny nightmares!

Callistemon Sat 31-Jul-21 23:22:25

MissAdventure

Ooh, go on!
I'll show you my hammer toe.

I had my hammer toe straightened years ago.
It grew sideways under the one next to it.

MissAdventure Sat 31-Jul-21 23:24:27

So does mine.
They all serve sideways, my toes.
All those years of wearing sensible, flat, black lace ups and this is the result.
I should sue my mum!