Gransnet forums

Chat

Le Café des flamants roses has a covered patio where both English and only very introductory French are spoken with an emphasis on beginners learning French

(24 Posts)
MawBe Thu 29-Jul-21 08:29:26

Easy enough to attach a YouTube link which will play a video.

www.scotslanguage.com/articles/view/id/3785/type/referance

Lucca Thu 29-Jul-21 08:17:19

Ellianne. My mistake then. I’m out.

Ellianne Thu 29-Jul-21 08:16:00

EP if some kindly person, who is experienced and qualified, were to add a video to their post, might it not work?
Let's experiment.

Ellianne Thu 29-Jul-21 08:09:21

Lucca

“I think it all started to go wrong today when one poster misunderstood the purpose of the thread, despite its title, which gives explanations in English and answers posters' questions. “
That poster apologised for misunderstanding.
The problem is that each thread title starts the same way .

I'm sorry Lucca, but with respect you can stand up for the other poster all you like, but from 10 am onwards she persisted in arguing with me in French and did not apologise about the misunderstanding until gone 5 pm. All this time despite having the purpose of the English thread clearly explained to her by myself and several others. For me it spoilt the continuity and amicable tone. I have no intention of entering into further discussion on the matter.

Lucca Thu 29-Jul-21 07:49:40

There are many YouTube videos on basic language teaching with pronunciation, plus you only need to type the word into google translate to know how it is pronounced. So if you are continuing with this thread you could just add links.

It is not my intention to be rude by the way. The initial idea was fun.

ElderlyPerson Thu 29-Jul-21 07:48:03

www.gransnet.com/forums/site_stuff/1299131-Is-it-possible-to-attach-an-audio-file-to-a-post

Lucca Thu 29-Jul-21 07:45:48

“I think it all started to go wrong today when one poster misunderstood the purpose of the thread, despite its title, which gives explanations in English and answers posters' questions. “
That poster apologised for misunderstanding.
The problem is that each thread title starts the same way .

ElderlyPerson Thu 29-Jul-21 07:42:19

I have found the following.

www.gransnet.com/info/getting-started#how_do_I_post_a_photo

Nothing about audio files though.

ElderlyPerson Thu 29-Jul-21 07:37:43

That then raises the issue of if a kindly person who is qualified and experienced to do so records short audio files of how to pronounce words, how can access to those files be made available to readers of a Gransnet thread.

I have seen small images in posts, which upon clicking give somewhat larger, yet not huge, displays, at least on my home computer.

So. can an audio file be added into a post?

Or does it need to be on a website somewhere else and a link put in the Gransnet post?

So, first of all, I shall try to investigate if an audio file can be uploaded to a Gransnet thread.

Mouseybrown60 Wed 28-Jul-21 23:41:56

I don’t see how you can learn rudimentary French with absolutely no guidance as to the pronunciation. Surely there can’t be anyone in the UK who doesn’t know what Bonjour means?

Ellianne Wed 28-Jul-21 22:47:11

Whoa, whoa, hold on a minute folks.
It was I who suggested a separate thread. This was the because the other two threads which had been running very amicably since 23/07/21 suddenly became too intense and complicated for those just wishing to chat or have fun. I think it all started to go wrong today when one poster misunderstood the purpose of the thread, despite its title, which gives explanations in English and answers posters' questions.

geekesse Wed 28-Jul-21 22:45:54

No-one has to click on these threads. Just scroll past them, as I do with the many games threads.

Shinamae Wed 28-Jul-21 22:43:25

I totally agree Lucca…

Lucca Wed 28-Jul-21 22:38:55

I realise your intentions etc. BUt I think there are too many threads now about Le café des flamants……

MawBe Wed 28-Jul-21 22:37:27

I am not trying to be a teacher of French, my advising and teaching was in scientific computer programming, the need for a thread for absolute beginners in learning French was expressed, so I instantiated one
I don’t believe it was , you may have extrapolated from criticisms that your French threads were getting too technical - and as such, off putting.

ElderlyPerson Wed 28-Jul-21 22:29:24

Lucca

I must say I think this has gone a bit far. The chat was fun at the start especially when just talking about random subjects each morning but this isn’t a language teaching website.

It was not me who suggested a separate thread for beginners.

As I had started the other threads in the café series, I started this one.

My intention was to facilitate the thread for those who requested it.

I had to put something as a first post, so I did.

A lady posted, so I replied.

ElderlyPerson Wed 28-Jul-21 22:25:47

MawBe

Due respect EP this is pointless. “How go you “ is meaningless.
Anybody learning “Comment allez-vous?” needs to know it is the French way of saying “How are you?”
You cannot literally translate word for from another language - so maybe trying to teach French to others should be left those who either understand French or understand teaching?

I am not trying to be a teacher of French, my advising and teaching was in scientific computer programming, the need for a thread for absolute beginners in learning French was expressed, so I instantiated one.

I would be very pleased if the experts do the teaching, I just tried to get things going.

I did not qualify as a teacher, but I was not working in a school.

Lucca Wed 28-Jul-21 22:19:47

I must say I think this has gone a bit far. The chat was fun at the start especially when just talking about random subjects each morning but this isn’t a language teaching website.

JenniferEccles Wed 28-Jul-21 22:15:06

How many more of these are there going to be?
Are you trying to make a point?

MawBe Wed 28-Jul-21 21:45:32

Due respect EP this is pointless. “How go you “ is meaningless.
Anybody learning “Comment allez-vous?” needs to know it is the French way of saying “How are you?”
You cannot literally translate word for from another language - so maybe trying to teach French to others should be left those who either understand French or understand teaching?

ElderlyPerson Wed 28-Jul-21 21:39:47

Bonjour. Comment allez-vous?

Literally: Good day. How go you?

mrsbirdy Wed 28-Jul-21 21:06:24

Bonjour

Poppyred Wed 28-Jul-21 21:05:18

Give it a rest please! ?

ElderlyPerson Wed 28-Jul-21 20:22:08

Bonjour.

That means "Good day."

Welcome to the patio.