Gransnet forums

Chat

Nur zum Spass ... Only for fun

(66 Posts)
Ellianne Thu 29-Jul-21 09:48:12

Wer kann hier Deutsch sprechen? Fliessendes Deutsch oder einige Wörter.

Flexagon Thu 29-Jul-21 12:30:06

Marydoll

^War das eine Rückkehr?^

Nein, aber mein schottischer Akzent klingt sehr nach einem deutschen! wink

I thought it meant throwback but may be using the wrong word.

On holiday, whenever we travelled in German speaking countries and used our halting German, DH would say ich as "ish" not "ich" as in loch.

His great, great grandfather was from Berlin and came to London in the mid 1800s. DH never knew him nor his great grandfather who was born in London but apparently spoke German with his own father.

Years ago, I did a short OU German course which featured speakers from Berlin and Munich. I seem to recall speakers from Berlin saying "ish'.

Flexagon Thu 29-Jul-21 12:30:17

Marydoll

^War das eine Rückkehr?^

Nein, aber mein schottischer Akzent klingt sehr nach einem deutschen! wink

I thought it meant throwback but may be using the wrong word.

On holiday, whenever we travelled in German speaking countries and used our halting German, DH would say ich as "ish" not "ich" as in loch.

His great, great grandfather was from Berlin and came to London in the mid 1800s. DH never knew him nor his great grandfather who was born in London but apparently spoke German with his own father.

Years ago, I did a short OU German course which featured speakers from Berlin and Munich. I seem to recall speakers from Berlin saying "ish'.

silverlining48 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:55:50

I was on a bus with an English friend in Germany when I was about 16, very style conscious. Two older ladies opposite spent the journey criticising our clothes and hair styles etc. As we got off the bus I spoke to them briefly in German and what a surprise they got.
I have always found Germans quite direct and that would include my German family. They don’t seem to worry too much about saving people’s feelings as we might do, if asked they tell it as they see it, but at least when they say they like something you know they mean it.

Marydoll Thu 29-Jul-21 13:15:41

Flexagon, I thought it meant a return as well. As I am a serial shopper, using it in that context would be appropriate. wink

Generally, because of my accent and looks, I'm taken for a Eine deutsche Hausfrauau.

DD and I were ordering bruschetta in an Italian restaurant in Glasgow and I was asked if I was from Rome, a place we frquently visit, because I pronounced it as brushetta, the way the Romans do.

I am prone to mimicing the accent from the place I am in, especially when I used to visit family in Central Scotland. After about ten minutes in their company, I would start speaking like them.

Lincslass Thu 29-Jul-21 13:53:32

Marydoll

I am going to post this in English, as it may amuse you, then again, perhaps not!

We were having a family meal on holiday in Spain and at the next table, were a German family. They obviously thought I couldn't understand German and were discussing the parentage of my three children. Two of my children are very dark haired like my husband, but my middle child is a redhead like me. They do look very different.

Their discussion centred around the question of whether my children all had had the same father or had I been playing around during my marriage.

As I left, I wished them a pleasant evening and assured them, DH was the father of all three. This was all said in German.
Their faces were a picture!

How awful for you, how did you manage to keep quiet until they’d finished , very admirable and love your response

Ellianne Thu 29-Jul-21 14:06:07

I have always found Germans quite direct and that would include my German family. They don’t seem to worry too much about saving people’s feelings as we might do, if asked they tell it as they see it, but at least when they say they like something you know they mean it.

Stimmt, sie Deutschen reden nicht um den heißen Brei herum.

Marydoll Thu 29-Jul-21 14:26:08

Elianne ?

Lincslass, I actually found it quite amusing, as it happened quite often.
I was once in the doctor's surgery with my children when they were young and two old biddies were having a similar conversation. I didn't miss them, as my mother used to say and soon put their gas at a peep!

ExDancer Thu 29-Jul-21 14:32:05

Nur ein bisschen

JackyB Thu 29-Jul-21 14:55:46

Ich wohne seit über 40 Jahren in Deutschland und spreche inzwischen mehr Deutsch als Englisch. Habe auch seit 2 Jahren die deutsche Staatsangehörigkeit.

Ich beantworte gerne Fragen, wenn jemand Hilfe braucht.

Übrigens, dort wo ich wohne, spricht man das "Ch" als "sch". Der Rest der Deutschen findet das lustig.

Mit Duolingo lerne ich Polnisch. Das ist noch schwieriger als Russisch - die Sprache hat 7 Fälle! Da bin ich nicht soweit, dass ich hier ein Gespräch führen könnte.

Ellianne Thu 29-Jul-21 15:00:18

Prima Jacky, danke.
Wo wohnen Sie eigentlich?

BlueSapphire Thu 29-Jul-21 15:58:13

Guten Tag; nach sieben Jahren Deutsch lernen in der Schule, habe ich das meiste vergessen! And ich habe A Level Deutsch gemacht! Aber ich kann mich an das Brahms Wiegenlied erinnern.

Auch errinere ich mich an die Wochentage, die Monate und kann noch auf Deutsch zaehlen.

Mollygo Thu 29-Jul-21 16:47:57

Ich spreche nicht oft Deutsch. Mein Bruder und seine Frau leben in Deutschland, sodass ich mich bei unserem Besuch mit ihr unterhalten kann.

vegansrock Thu 29-Jul-21 17:06:25

Ich habe Deutsch in der Schule gelernt. Ich habe Deutschland und Öesterreich mehrmals besucht. Ich habe Berlin besucht als die Mauer war und wir sind in die DDR gereist. Ich spreche auch Französisch und Italienisch.

Marydoll Thu 29-Jul-21 17:14:04

Beim Polnischen muss ich zustimmen, Jacky. Wir hatten eine ganze Reihe polnischer Kinder in meiner Schule und obwohl ich einen MFL-Abschluss hatte, konnte ich ihn einfach nicht meistern!

Callistemon Thu 29-Jul-21 18:00:19

Die Sonne ist heiss
Der wind ist kalt
Wer ist Frau Weiss?

Callistemon Thu 29-Jul-21 18:00:43

That's about it!

Callistemon Thu 29-Jul-21 18:02:21

Imat ću kuhati večeru. Uživajte u hrani svima

Marydoll Thu 29-Jul-21 18:24:13

Callistemon, warum posten Sie in Kroatien? Sind Sie fließend? ?

timetogo2016 Fri 30-Jul-21 13:47:55

Clear as mud.

silverlining48 Fri 30-Jul-21 16:01:24

Frau Weiß ist nicht hier
Wo ist mein Bier?
Es regnet!

FarNorth Fri 30-Jul-21 16:20:21

So veile kluge Leute sind hier!
Ich möchte gern gut Deutsch sprechen, aber ich finde es shweirig die Wörter zu erinnern.
Wenn ich in Deutschland wohnen könnte, wäre ich so glücklich.

grumppa Fri 30-Jul-21 17:29:06

We dropped in to the Prospect of Whitby in Limehouse a few years ago, and there were a lot of German tourists in there. There were two spare seats at one of the tables, and I said something on the lines of “Erlauben Sie, dass wir hier sitzen, bitte?” Back came the answer “Bitte sehr”, so we sat down and I had a bit of a chat with them.

After a while I started a conversation with DW, and one of the Germans said “Sie können Englisch sehr gut; leben Sie hier seit lange?”

“Ich bin Engländer,” I explained.

MawBe Fri 30-Jul-21 18:06:01

Nice one Grumppa !

silverlining48 Fri 30-Jul-21 18:14:04

MY thoughts exactly Grumppa. It’s happened to me too( as long as I don’t talk too much) . ..

I used to go to the Prospect as a teenager it was always a good night out.

silverlining48 Fri 30-Jul-21 18:23:37

FarNorth I spent 5 weeks in Germany with non English speaking family when I was young and that formed the foundation of my knowledge. It does help enormously but now as English is so widely spoken as a foreign language it would be difficult. Everyone is eager to practice their already perfect English, but I could easily understand your German I am sure you are better than you think.