Gransnet forums

Chat

Tips for new Grandparents

(41 Posts)
Foxglove77 Wed 25-Aug-21 18:11:33

My DGD starts school in September and I'm returning to full-time work. Just thought I'd share a couple of tips for new GNs to enjoy with the little ones.

Bubble wands are cheap and cheerful for all ages. Refill with supermarket washing up liquid.

Balloons, just blow them up and pat them around.

Christmas time cut out paper snowflakes and stick them to your windows.

Feed the ducks, always a winner.

Enjoy, I'm going to miss childminding my little one smile

Foxglove77 Thu 02-Sep-21 00:34:45

Ah yes, I have a button tin for my DGD. I top it up from charity shops. Lots of ideas here which I hope are helpful to new grandparents. They grow so fast, enjoy the moment.

Daisytwoshoes Tue 31-Aug-21 07:37:10

Our youngest GS stars school next week we have looked after him and his brother from them being 10 months old for two days a week
Will deff miss him .
but will pick them both up from school three days a week .so we will still see them
Have loved watching them grow up and have lots of happy memories of days out .playing games ect .
They grow up so quickly.

OmaforMaya Tue 31-Aug-21 01:25:01

???

Ro60 Tue 31-Aug-21 00:38:35

Oh The Button Tin! I spent many happy hours sorting & threading them. There was never any reason but for some reason something of always head for - after the cake tin ? ?

SusieFlo Mon 30-Aug-21 21:44:13

Thanks Grandmadinosaur ! Boats! Had been trying to think of things for when I have my GS

Flakesdayout Mon 30-Aug-21 16:44:42

My mum had a glass jug full of buttons, all sorts of sizes and colours and I remember playing with them as a child. I now have the jug but alas not full of buttons. How strange I was only thinking about them last night. Leaves and puddles, I still like jumping in puddles now (when no one is looking)

Albangirl14 Mon 30-Aug-21 16:00:02

If your Grandchild,s parents are working would you be able to have her after school? They still like familiar Grandparents around . We do after school care for two of ours one day a week.

Daisymae Mon 30-Aug-21 15:01:35

My favourite photo of DGS is one where he's wearing my straw hat, his auntie's sunglasses and has a scattering of cake crumbs around his mouth. Happy days! He's a 6 foot teenager now, but I do miss our times when he was little!

Lulubelle500 Mon 30-Aug-21 14:47:56

Poor Sodapop! I once posted a comment intended to be helpful about the thread being discussed and another gran jumped on me with hobnailed boots and verbally lashed me with her (obviously) superior knowledge.

eazybee Mon 30-Aug-21 14:03:25

The comment was merely ironic.

MooM00 Mon 30-Aug-21 13:36:06

Have you ever tried doing Twister with a 3 year old at the age of 69. Not a pretty site. I have him for another year until he goes to school. God knows what that will bring but it’s all good fun.

Pedwards Mon 30-Aug-21 13:17:25

I can remember sorting through my granny’s button box on visits to her house, who has a button box these days? Though to be fair, she was a dressmaker, so had a good collection

Rosiebee Mon 30-Aug-21 13:15:50

Always have a box of "stuff" on hand. (paint, gluesticks, scissors, card, boxes, fabric etc) My DGD loved to paint and make things. We used shoeboxes to make rooms and she would use up scrap card and fabric to make the furniture. We used one shoebox to make an underwater scene with lots of bubble wrap and strands of wool hanging down as seaweed. She was a very imaginative little girl and in September she'll be starting an art and design course at college.

annehinckley Mon 30-Aug-21 13:03:15

Painting the garden fence with water is a good one in fine weather.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 30-Aug-21 12:58:27

Ali08

Can someone explain to me how sodapop was being rude?
I just took it as a general comment.

It just came across as sarcasm.

Esspee Mon 30-Aug-21 12:44:30

Ali08

It was a sarcastic comment. Unkind at best.

Lesley60 Mon 30-Aug-21 12:43:04

My 9 and 3 year old grandsons also enjoy melting milk and white chocolate and covering different cut up fruit in them at least nanny is being nice leaving them have chocolate but they are also having the healthy fruit so winners all round

Esspee Mon 30-Aug-21 12:41:57

Newatthis

I would give anything to do any of these. My grandchildren are 8000 miles away and it’s been 20 months since I’ve seen them

That made me cry.
I have been quite philosophical about this up to now but my grandchildren are almost 5000 miles away and both have birthdays around now. I share your pain Newatthis.
Now, how to stop the tears?

DaisyL Mon 30-Aug-21 12:16:57

Having had one 15 year old granddaughter to stay two weeks ago and grandson 14 with sister 12 last week I am on my knees. They are all lovely but the amount of food that needs to be prepared, the questions answered, the activities - all good fun like going to swim in the sea or feeding my chickens but it is all quite full on when I normally live on my own! Not to mention the trail of 'things' left everywhere! Feel very lucky to have them in my life but looking forward to a glass of wine and an early night tonight - I have been on antibiotics for an abscess in my tooth so haven't even been able to have a restorative drink in the evening!

Ali08 Mon 30-Aug-21 12:10:34

Sadgrandma Mon 30-Aug-21 11:42:20

We look after our nearly four year old GD two days a week and have done so since she was nine months old. We will miss her terribly when she starts school but hope to be able to pick her up on two days. I am lucky that I have a lovely DH who is very good with her and he has given her a small part of his allotment to grow her own veg. Another allotment holder made her a little girl scarecrow which she loves. Her favourite thing is being wheeled over there in his wheelbarrow! I tend to do things like making cupcakes (I must admit that I buy the novelty packets which are so much easier at this age). We also do lots of craft things and dressing her dolls etc (although DH gets roped in too at times). Her very favourite game at present is playing schools which gives us a good opportunity to practise writing her letters and numbers. I just hope she is as enthusiastic when school starts for real. However, she did say yesterday that she doesn't really need to go to school as she is clever enough already! Need to add modesty lessons to her curriculum I think!

Amalegra Mon 30-Aug-21 11:22:12

I do lots of painting, glueing and messy stuff that my daughter doesn’t always have time for! Lots of cooking especially cake decorating with lots of sprinkles etc which they love. This weekend we/I made toffee apples which we ornamented by chucking lots of edible glitter over them whilst keeping a safe distance from the hot goo. A success! And occasions like Easter, Halloween, Christmas are ripe for creativity. Nothing beats a good walk, looking at Nature and fun in the park too!

Yangste1007 Mon 30-Aug-21 11:21:05

I became a Grandma for the first time in February. I can't wait to start doing some of these things with her. I can remember doing such simple things with my Gran and I adored her.

Pap67 Mon 30-Aug-21 11:15:36

Sodapop … mmmm… suddenly goes quiet… bloody keyboard bully….
Absolute hate ppl who are spiteful then sod off from the conversation. ?

Julieh473 Mon 30-Aug-21 11:05:04

When my granddaughter started school last year we decided we would collect her from school one day a week and she would come for tea so that we didn't miss each other too much after nearly 5 years of caring for her one or two days a week. We all look forward to it now