Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday 31st August 2021

(73 Posts)
Michael12 Tue 31-Aug-21 05:58:15

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a clear but dry start here in Brackley.
Today after housework , my usual bus trip out yo bicester for a shop and coffee.
Returning to watch the final week of the Vuelta cycle race on TV this afternoon.
Take Care ,
Mick

Georgesgran Tue 31-Aug-21 09:20:54

Good morning from Durham. Grey and dull again. Friend dropping in for a quick coffee soon. Both DDs have troubles - DD1 and DGS are ill and have had a poor weekend. She didn’t want to ask for help as she doesn’t want me to catch whatever they have - tests negative.
DD2’s husband laid low too and has been in bed 2 days. Awaiting full test result today. She can’t manage the baby and dogs, so I’m going to bring the dogs to stay here for as long as needed. It’s something to help out and the dogs need exercise.
Pleased to see some GNs who haven’t posted for a while back.
Missing others.

ginny Tue 31-Aug-21 09:20:52

Laura another vote for bottom right.’

Urmstongran Tue 31-Aug-21 09:13:57

Top left for me LauraNorder! I like the creamy warmth which would offset any grey-sky days.

Best wishes from me for your daughter in law today. I’m sure we’re all rooting for her.

BlueSapphire Tue 31-Aug-21 09:09:24

Good morning everyone from a very grey and dull Northampton. The cat is on my knee as usual warming me up, and there is a distinct chill in the air.

A bit of tidying to do this morning and then an early lunch, and off out for a health walk - it will be nice for the company. I did nothing yesterday apart from knitting and tv; watched a Poirot and a Miss Marple yesterday afternoon.

Will make spaghetti Amatriciana for dinner tonight; it's quick and easy.

Hoping that Scentia and Gwen are soon on the mend. Have a good day folks.

Sar53 Tue 31-Aug-21 09:03:48

Good morning everyone from Essex by the sea where the sun is trying to appear through the clouds. Marginally better than yesterday where it remained grey all day.

DH has again gone to work on his boat. I've ironed, prepared vegetables for dinner and I'm about to get the duster out.

Best wishes for your DIL Laura, I hope it all goes smoothly.

Have a lovely Tuesday everyone xxx

ixion Tue 31-Aug-21 09:01:22

Bottom right LauraNorder.
Ah, I see I'm not alone!

Grammaretto Tue 31-Aug-21 09:00:02

Good Morning from the Scottish Borders. Another dry but chilly day in store. I have put away my summer clothes - well the shorts anyway- as I won't need them again this year. I secretly hope that statement will tempt fate

Ash It is you who has the restorative effect on OldDudders. It must be wonderful to have you back.

I'm off to the Chiropractor shortly and tonight my DS and I are going to see a stone carver to talk about inscriptions on DH's gravestone. It's now 9 months since he died

LauraNorder I wish I could show you the little houses my df makes from clay. We have such fun choosing colours for them. Some are quite strong!

When Stirling Castle was refurbished the architect got a lot of stick for choosing yellow but infact he was trying to keep it 16th century authentic.
blog.stirlingcastle.scot/2017/07/12/that-yellow-building/

LauraNorder Tue 31-Aug-21 08:54:02

Gelisajams, I agree, it’s cornsilk and is my first choice. They all look okay in sunlight but in shadow the cornsilk has a warmer hue than the others. Orlin likes bottom left which is parchment and a bit too light in my opinion.

LauraNorder Tue 31-Aug-21 08:50:57

Thank you Grandmajean, it’s great to have reassurance from someone who’s been through the same.

Gelisajams Tue 31-Aug-21 08:47:10

Lauranorder I like the bottom right! It’s got a hint of warmth without being too bright!

Grandmajean Tue 31-Aug-21 08:46:01

Meant to say how lovely these pics are Ash
I adopted a donkey two years ago whilst on holiday in Dorset. Fortunately , you only help to pay for your chosen donkey's upkeep. It does not come to live with you !
grin

Grandmajean Tue 31-Aug-21 08:41:02

I thought today might be the day of your DIL's first chemo Lauranorder and am sending my very best wishes. My daughter's was first day after the August Bank Holiday too ! That was a long time ago now and I am grateful for every day she is healthy. Your DIL will be fine but it is a very difficult time for all of you.flowers

Gelisajams Tue 31-Aug-21 08:39:56

Good morning from a cloudy Morecambe Bay. We will garden later for a lady. Her hedge needs a trim. Cutting it doesn’t take long but I do hate the clearing up!
Regular readers and those who have been posting for some time may remember I posted some time back that DH had finally started to draw up the plans to build a summer house. I posted a picture of his plans and workings which covered our table and promised an update as it was constructed. Well the plans have been moved off the table to the bookshelf but that’s it! No progress! It fell at the first hurdle. He couldn’t find anywhere selling all the wood he needed. One store had some and another had some but their wood was sized differently.
I had given him a deadline of March this year to get it constructed before I bought one but his surgery then Covid were good enough excuses to allow more time. Now I can’t even buy one as they are few and far between because of a wood shortage!
Take care everyone and stay safe ?

fatgran57 Tue 31-Aug-21 08:39:51

Greeting from Tasmania. Very wet here today, we went grocery shopping then an early bakery lunch. We both had our hair cut - it is a lady barber and no appointment necessary, she is very quick and as I need my hair trimming every three weeks it suits me to go there She does quite a few ladies hair cuts,as well as the men.

I thought The Two Amigos as well Laura. Very best wishes for your dear daughter-in-law.

Gingster Tue 31-Aug-21 08:39:30

Ah thanks for your wishes Scentia . Hope your pain eases today. ❤️

Anniebach Tue 31-Aug-21 08:34:50

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Greyduster Tue 31-Aug-21 08:30:23

Good morning Michael and all GNs. The usual pall of grey South Yorkshire cloud but there are small hopes that it might brighten. It rained in the night. DH is hoping to get an emergency appointment with the dentist today. I might go to the garden centre today to look for a few plants to fill in some gaps in the front rockery. The garden generally is looking a bit forlorn at the moment with things going over but some plants will hang on until the first frosts.
Good wishes to all and especially those with worries and illness.

LauraNorder Tue 31-Aug-21 08:28:11

Good morning Mick and all from overcast but dry and warm Anglesey.
Orlin and I spent yesterday watching paint dry. Such an exciting life we lead.
Trying to decide what colour to paint the newly rendered house.
How about Dos Amigos Urms.
Hope you coviders get well soon. Looking forward to seeing that damson whisky recipe Gwen.
Day one of chemo for our beautiful daughter-in-law.
Where is that damned flamingo when we need it.
Take care all ?

Ashcombe Tue 31-Aug-21 08:23:34

Good morning on another cloudy one in la Sarthe.

Each morning we're awake around 4.00 a.m., have TIB then sleep for a few more hours, hence my later appearances here than when I’m in Torbay.

Yesterday, we enjoyed a visit to a friend with a smallholding, where besides growing organic vegetables, she keeps sheep, goats, donkeys, turkeys, geese, ducks and chickens of various breeds, including bare necked. This proved therapeutic for DH who had his best day so far. ?

Thinking of you, Scentia, and glad you seem to have turned a corner although the kidney pain sounds unpleasant. I hope Gwen is also making good progress.

Wishing you all as good a day as possible. Take care. ⛅️??

harrigran Tue 31-Aug-21 08:15:46

Good morning from a grey and cool NE.
Family visited yesterday, lovely to see GDs and hear about their holiday, DS did a slide show with all their photographs.
No appointments this week so housework and paperwork will be done, hopefully.
Thinking of those not posting.

Annapops Tue 31-Aug-21 08:12:07

Hello everyone from a dry but grey looking Durham.

Will have to get busy soon as shortly 3 GC are due to arrive. A playtime morning is on the agenda with a Pirate themed afternoon at a nearby venue. Looking at that sky we may need our raincoats.

The children are not due back at school until later in the week with the youngest one attending for the first time. It seems like the end of an era as we have done 2 days of childcare for nearly eight years. However school pick up on those days will continue as will help during the holidays, so reckon we are not entirely redundant yet.

Yesterday we visited a country park famous for its Red Kites. A lovely wander dodging a few heavy rain showers, but then a most welcome cafe beckoned us in for coffee and cake towards the end of our journey, which was a real treat.

Wishing everyone the best day possible, especially those who are poorly or have worries, that they obtain some relief from their troubles.

ginny Tue 31-Aug-21 08:10:51

Good morning from N. Bucks where the weather doesn’t deserve a mention .
Today is our last day of looking after Lord Jasper. We’ll take him to the field later and then take him home. I think we will miss having him here.
DGS1 will arrive later to stay for a couple of days . A trip to the coast is on the cards for one day and we’ll see what he fancies doing otherwise.
Thoughts with all struggling in any way. Wishing you all a smile today.

hollysteers Tue 31-Aug-21 08:10:37

Good morning Mick and all from a cloudy Suet on Sea, Lancashire coast. I’m on my way out of the house to join the coach for a North Wales trip. Twoud be nice if sun appears, but at least it’s a change of scene. So sarnies made, flask of coffee packed and a book to read. Looking forward to it.
Hope you all have a good day, and thoughts to those with worries.

NannyJan53 Tue 31-Aug-21 08:07:46

Good morning from a dull and cloudy Black Country. Still quite warm though.

No real plans today, probably clean the cooker, and soak the trays overnight in Soda crystals and water. It gets the gunk off a treat!

I was walking DS's dog with DGD Sunday, and she asked if I would like a dog. I said not really, to which she replied "oh yes, you like to borrow one for a while, and then give it back, I am the same with little kids (she has a 2 year old cousin), I like to have T for a while, then I like to give her back" She is 12 smile

Hoping Scentia and Gwen are feeling much better, and that Olddudders is improving too Ashcombe

Urmstongran Tue 31-Aug-21 08:03:46

Meant to say, have a pleasant flight brook and enjoy your week with your family.
?