Gransnet forums

Chat

Help - I Can’t Sleep

(27 Posts)
MerylStreep Wed 01-Sep-21 17:55:24

Blossoming
Many years ago I went to a sleep therapist.
What your describing works but not for the reasons stated.
The secret is that you, do, think, imagine the same thing every night
The theory is the brain gets into the habit of thinking ah, this is where I go to sleep
I do the relaxing face thing. This system has worked for me for years. I’ve been doing it for so long that my brain automatically goes into it.

Blossoming Wed 01-Sep-21 17:40:58

An article in The Independent details the following method, apparently used by the army, for getting to sleep quickly. Has anybody tried it? What do you think? It doesn’t mention how you make sure you stay asleep though …

Detailed in the book Relax and Win: Championship Performance, 1981, the technique is thought to have been developed by army chiefs to ensure soldiers didn’t make life-threatening mistakes due to exhaustion.

Here’s how to do it:
Relax the muscles in your face, including tongue, jaw and the muscles around the eyes
Drop your shoulders as far down as they’ll go, followed by your upper and lower arm, one side at a time
Breathe out, relaxing your chest followed by your legs, starting from the thighs and working down
You should then spend 10 seconds trying to clear your mind before thinking about one of the three following images:
You’re lying in a canoe on a calm lake with nothing but a clear blue sky above you
You’re lying in a black velvet hammock in a pitch-black room
You say “don’t think, don’t think, don’t think” to yourself over and over for about 10 seconds.

The technique is said to work for 96 per cent of people after six weeks of practice.