Gransnet forums

Chat

Wasps

(32 Posts)
Rosycheeks Mon 06-Sep-21 16:40:46

Have any of you noticed there is a lot if wasps about.
I cleaned my windows today and found about 6 on the window sill they were dead and two on my bed dead also. I went into the garden to see if there was a wasp nest anywhere but there isnt.
When I get up inthe morning it is still dark and there were wasps trying to get in above my kitchen door and one trying to get in the cat flap. One got in last week and got tangled in my hair and stung me. I hate wasps.?

MayBee70 Tue 07-Sep-21 11:28:02

I watched a fascinating documentary the other night on BBC4 about keystone species. Sometimes whole ecosystems are destroyed because one species is removed, and it isn’t always the most obvious one. We humans are the only creatures on the planet that seem to be hell bent on destroying keystone species and, at some point we may destroy one that will destroy us. Likely to be bees or worms or something similar.

Rosycheeks Tue 07-Sep-21 12:35:00

I hope I havent destroyed an eco system but lots of wasps in my bedroom needed to be sorted.

MayBee70 Tue 07-Sep-21 12:45:07

Rosycheeks

I hope I havent destroyed an eco system but lots of wasps in my bedroom needed to be sorted.

Since my last dog was seriously ill after being stung I’m afraid I don’t hesitate to kill them if they’re in my house. Prior to that I used to do everything possible to put them outside. I once worked in a building where wasps were coming in from a nest in the loft. They were coming in through a tiny hole where the wiring for the burglar alarm sensor went into the loft. It was a nightmare.

Jillyjosie Tue 07-Sep-21 13:13:04

Mancjules thank you for that fascinating post. I try never to kill anything and I get tired of the flap some people get into about wasps. They are useful as predators in the garden and they make a meal for the many spiders about now.
We have a willow which is infested with wasps and I've discovered that when a tree, like this one is stressed because it's short of water, it is attacked by aphids. The willow exudes a sticky, sweet substance all over its leaves and this attracts wasps who will fly five miles to feed.

SueDonim Tue 07-Sep-21 13:24:49

I wasn’t going to put three under-seven-year-olds and an allergic son at risk of wasp stings, so the nest we had went. If the wasps are dying anyway, I can’t see it makes much difference if you hurry the process along.

I generally usher out any wasps that get indoors and they seem to fly off, grateful to be in the fresh air again.

Rosycheeks Tue 07-Sep-21 14:34:36

jillyjosie I understand where you are coming from but your wasps were in your garden mine were in my bedroom I wasnt going to take any chances after being stung on the head in my kitchen the other day. And cats like playing with flying things and I have a duty of care to him and because I love him and dont want him harmed. I had a cat stung by a wasp before and he lost the use of his back legs and had to be pts I will never forget it so upsetting.