Gransnet forums

Chat

Where’s the one place you never want to visit again?

(555 Posts)
hollysteers Mon 13-Sep-21 12:13:57

In my case, Benidorm?

Lucca Mon 13-Sep-21 13:08:55

FannyCornforth

Lucca no, I’ve just checked on Google maps and it’s 105 miles, 2 hours and 45 minutes drive time shock

I heard something about 52 miles the other day and can’t remember where but clearly it is nonsense, sorry !!

Grandma70s Mon 13-Sep-21 13:11:29

Mansfield.

cb1963 Mon 13-Sep-21 13:17:38

Mablethorpe too many amusement arcacdes

Blossoming Mon 13-Sep-21 13:23:01

Scarborough

Grandmadinosaur Mon 13-Sep-21 13:26:38

I’m originally a Midlands girl so I hear what you’re saying about the coast and distance FannyC V3a and Lucca
I found Skegness boring. Never been to Chapel St Leonards so can’t comment. Have been to Sutton on sea which was an awful place. Came home after 4 days!
I do love Weston though Lucca I suppose as it’s somewhere we went as kids I look back on it with fond memories.
I’m lucky now to live within a short driving distance to the Yorkshire coast. After growing up in the Midlands I really appreciate it.

Sara1954 Mon 13-Sep-21 13:26:49

Legoland, total nightmare, and IKEA.

JackyB Mon 13-Sep-21 13:26:56

Rome. The people are as arrogant as they are reputed to be and they have made nothing of the treasures they have. Such a let down.

The pavements are narrow and full of cracks. Even in trainers I felt constantly in danger of twisting my ankle. The famous cafes are a ripoff and traffic is horrendous, spouting exhaust fumes at you if you do sit in one of the street cafes.

OK there are millions of tourists, have to accept that, but they are not offered much and groups of youngsters will get stroppy if bored.

I don't know of anyone who hasn't been pickpocketed there. My son had his purse taken. I took many precautions, only taking cash when out and about, spread over several small purses in different pockets. Phone shoved right down my bra. Hotel key left at reception DH had a pedometer attached to his belt which was nicked.

Also: Lisbon. Again, lots of treasures, all in state of disrepair. They only seem to expect tourists. We walked for miles and didn't see a single shop where you could just pop in and buy a packet of tissues or a bottle of shampoo. All that was on sale were cheap souvenirs or designer clothes. The people were nicer, though, and food decent at non-ripoff prices

Grannynannywanny Mon 13-Sep-21 13:30:23

My ex mother in law’s house.

MerylStreep Mon 13-Sep-21 13:31:50

This resort in Egypt. Never never ever again. It truly was the holiday from hell

www.google.co.uk/search?q=nuweiba+%2B+egypt&client=safari&hl=en-gb&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=VbEKQO8utccEGM%252CMT5rQJ7bg-

RGQM%252C%252Fm%252F0b8jkz&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTvB5cfNtycllSS0z3Ye-T_0fTBfg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjzr-P29vvyAhUSEcAKHSZcALkQ_B16BAhUEAE&biw=1269&bih=906#imgrc=OopK6ibfsBDnrM&imgdii=cCS_c65lJBtEKM

China. Too rigid and miserable people. I knew it wasn’t going to go well when I was literally pushed back into line at Shanghai airport by an automaton.

Daisytwoshoes Mon 13-Sep-21 13:33:02

Turkey
Got hassled for the whole two weeks we were there .

MiniMoon Mon 13-Sep-21 13:33:07

The public toilets in Stirling, eek!

Rural Lincolnshire. It's flat and featureless and smell of cabbages.

Grandmadinosaur, Marmaris was a lovely little seaside place in the mid '70's when I was there. I daresay it has grown and changed in the intervening years.

dragonfly46 Mon 13-Sep-21 13:34:58

Prague - got caught in a traffic jam of people on the Charles Bridge.

I love the Nile and Cairo although Istanbul is my favourite city!

Sparklefizz Mon 13-Sep-21 13:36:46

humptydumpty

Morocco - beautiful place and weather, but hassled endlessly so I just stayed in my hotel or went on organised coach trips in the end, and got room service. (On my last night, the guy delivering my meal hassled me!)

Tunisia.

Hassled endlessly, same as you, Humpty, even though I was with my husband who wanted to give them a punch.

Men touching me in the street, stroking my long blonde hair, and all the staff in the hotel were men. I went back to our room to get my jacket, and the guy who was in there doing the cleaning locked the door and tried to chat me up and was making some sort of suggestion about the bed. I was very scared. Luckily we were flying home that afternoon and I couldn't wait to get away.

LucyLocket55 Mon 13-Sep-21 13:37:24

Isle of Wight, went there once and we weren’t told that the hotel we booked in also too school parties, they were like a flick of vultures and not much was left of the breakfast buffet by the time they had decimated it.
Found the island very uninteresting apart from Osborne House

Sparklefizz Mon 13-Sep-21 13:37:59

PS. I was only 23 .... I would be much more assertive now!! angry

Grandmadinosaur Mon 13-Sep-21 13:40:44

Minimoon probably spoilt by tourism. We were there there in 1996.

Ro60 Mon 13-Sep-21 13:40:44

Never say never!
The only places I can't think of - (too far in the back of my mind) would be connected to personal events.
Barbados - I Love Barbados! ?

JaneJudge Mon 13-Sep-21 13:41:51

Milton Keynes is the furthest in England from the coast isn't it? I've just googled and its closest coast is Leigh on Sea which is 84 miles away. My closest coast is 55 miles apparently (1hr 45 min) which feels like a long way from the sea!

Anyway, I really don't know where I have been where I wouldn't like to go again. I suppose a lot of posts on here are about feeling safe (or not as the case may be)

halfpint1 Mon 13-Sep-21 13:48:15

Brittany, 1week of rain and a grotty cold gite. Never set foot in the region these last 40 years but the people from there are lovely

Grannyboots1 Mon 13-Sep-21 13:48:31

Great Yarmouth

Spice101 Mon 13-Sep-21 13:55:48

New York and Paris. Both vastly over rated IMO.

nanna8 Mon 13-Sep-21 13:56:22

Before lockdown I used to like driving to IKEA, an hour or so away from here, and having lunch in their restaurant. It is all shut now. Always used to get serviettes there .

Atqui Mon 13-Sep-21 14:03:20

Morocco -Same reason as humptydumpty. Such a shame as it’s such a lovely place.

eazybee Mon 13-Sep-21 14:10:48

Westward Ho! (what a disappointment)

Riverwalk Mon 13-Sep-21 14:12:21

Daisytwoshoes

Turkey
Got hassled for the whole two weeks we were there .

It's funny how we all have different experiences - I've been to Turkey many times and never had any problems. Istanbul is one of my favourite cities.