Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it just my town ?

(42 Posts)
BlueBelle Tue 14-Sep-21 19:08:33

We seem to have had a vast increase in cycle thefts over the last couple of years Every day they are going, locks are being cut
Nothing seems to being done to rectify it and I just wondered if it was my town or happening nationally

Oofy Wed 15-Sep-21 12:45:43

My DD's partner is a bit of a bike freak, and had a super-expensive carbon frame bike that the had built himself from parts. Thieves stole it from the underground car/bike park at his work (in a University in London). It was well chained up. There was CCTV, and the thieves could be seen using bolt cutters to cut through the actual frame to remove the bike. That was what upset him most, that the bike was ruined, the frame could not have been repaired, but he'd lost it anyway, and the thieves were't caught despite the CCTV. And no, it wasn't insured. He said difficult to insure as self-built. His bikes have been since, though.

icanhandthemback Wed 15-Sep-21 13:30:00

Bike theft carries a smaller risk of getting caught and if taken from outside the house is unlikely to be investigated even if you have a tracker on it or there is CCTV. My bike was recently stolen from my kitchen so was classed as burglary which meant it was taken more seriously. The police knew exactly who had stolen it as it had a tracker on it bu needed to get CCTV footage. I am still waiting (since January) to see if charges will be laid.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 15-Sep-21 13:36:11

Bikes are stolen everywhere, all you can do is make sure you have a lock that locks the back wheel and a chain lock so you can lock your bike to a lamppost or something similar.

Here bikes are so common that no-one stops cyclists and robs them of them, as it is easier to take a bike from a bike stand.

Mobile phones and money, yes, that gangs of schoolchildren threaten others to give up.

H1954 Wed 15-Sep-21 13:37:25

I am trying to sell my bicycle with absolutely no success. It's nothing flashing or fancy, just an ordinary small framed ladies cycle with a gel seat and new tyres.
Plenty of people would have it gifted but no one wants to pay for it.

maryrose54 Wed 15-Sep-21 13:40:59

It's happening in our town in Norfolk too.Somebody is always posting on social media saying that their bike has been sto.en.

nanna8 Wed 15-Sep-21 13:41:56

You’d think they would nick a car not a bike, must be either very young or desperate! They chuck out bikes on the nature strip, especially small ones for kids. Help yourself.

LovelyLady Wed 15-Sep-21 14:02:38

South East area here. Many quality bikes are regularly stolen and the motorised ones too. It’s a daily occurrence and I agree the police numbers are so low they can’t cope with the thefts. Cat converters too. Police think it’s all drug related, yet don’t pursue known drug takers let alone the dealers. (Don’t know why they don’t call drug dealers. ‘Potential murderers’)
Leaving prams outside shops is unknown here too.
Dogs tied up are not safe outside shops.
What a wonderful world.

BlueBelle Wed 15-Sep-21 14:29:46

Buy a bicycle from local buy and sell sites. Don't pay more than a tenner and put it in your hallway each evening. Other than that, try walking for fitness
That was NOT the point of the thread at all effelump of course we can do that (although if you’re buying off a local buy and sell site you might well be buying a stolen bike) and cycling is just as healthy as walking it’s all exercise

I come from a middle sized town and we have three police officers in our towns team …..That’s the problem

Kayteetay1 Wed 15-Sep-21 15:14:38

I’ve noticed an increasing number of young adults/older children using e-bikes extremely recklessly, in fact downright dangerously - to the extent they are endangering their own and other road users/pedestrians safety. These bikes are very expensive and suspect that some will have been acquired without the owners consent.

montymops Wed 15-Sep-21 15:16:37

In Cambridge in the early 60’s , all our bicycles had to have a college registration number painted on the mudguards. If your bike was ‘nicked’ or ‘borrowed’ it was usually found dumped in the town somewhere. There was also a large police pound where dumped bikes were stored - So you could usually be reunited with yours in the end. Mind you, most of our bikes were fairly scruffy uprights with baskets - not like the very smart expensive gear that students have now.

Mamma66 Wed 15-Sep-21 16:50:45

Our Grandson’s bike was stolen. It was his pride and joy, he is only 13 and the bike represented a degree of independence for him. He was absolutely gutted. The boy who stole the bike was identified and had stashed the bike at another boy’s house. The frame was recovered, but the valuable gear mechanism and wheel were not. Even though the parents of the second boy confirmed that the first boy had asked them to store the bike in their garage, he got away with it completely. The thief’s Mother even admitted that he had stolen it. Despite this, no further action was taken by the Police, the boy got away with it Scot free (again, as he has done it before). We bought our Grandson another bike as we did not want him to go without. I actually feel sorry for the thief, he is being taught a very dangerous lesson that life has no consequences for those who flout the law. I imagine his life has started on a course he is unlikely to change..:

f77ms Thu 16-Sep-21 16:14:19

It happened to my son but fortunately he saw it parked outside B&Q unlocked so he pinched it back ?

MerylStreep Thu 16-Sep-21 16:29:36

Nana8
It’s a lot easier to whip through a precinct on a bike and steal a phone out of someone’s hand.
I’ve been very close to 2 such thefts this summer.

RandyGoldy Wed 06-Oct-21 07:57:00

We recently moved with my wife and apparently we didn't come across the most prosperous area because our bike was stolen too. I was just in shock. We were upset because the bike is quite expensive. We ordered Ajax motion sensors that day, and also ordered surveillance cameras at home, but already from another company, my wife was looking for, I don't remember. By the way, it's very convenient, because we connected the cameras to the application and now we have both sensors and cameras in one place. And in general, I hope that there will be no more thefts.

ElaineI Wed 06-Oct-21 08:15:36

In our area there are lots of bike thefts and scooter thefts. Also on the rise are thefts of tools from work vans which is awful. I've seen stickers on vans saying "No tools in van overnight". Thefts affecting people's livelihood are disgusting. 50 odd years ago my brother had his homemade go kart stolen from him and my father tracked it down and confronted the thief's father. He got it back with 10 bob for my brother and the thief got a hiding from his own father. Changed days!

Redhead56 Wed 06-Oct-21 10:14:45

Thieves are more interested in high powered cars here so they can make a quick get away after breaking into a house.