Gransnet forums

Chat

Shemima Begum

(168 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Wed 15-Sep-21 18:47:36

Did anyone see the interview on Good Morning Britain today? In case you don't remember this was one of the girls that ran off to join Isis back in 2015. She has been stripped of her UK citizenship but is now begging to be allowed back into the country. I don't know what to think about this case as you could argue that she was a young impressionable teenager who was groomed online I suppose. However, she didn't come across like that and gave the impression that she wasn't really sorry. Even when asked about her three children who died and her two friends, she didn't really seem that upset. I don't think by giving that interview that she did herself any favours. I know there was a huge backlash on Twitter against her. Who knows the truth? I will keep an open mind on this one.

Whatdayisit Wed 15-Sep-21 22:37:05

Gwyneth

I would prefer to trust what Sajid Javid says rather than Begum. It’s too big a risk to allow her back into the UK.

I completely agree with Trisher. We need to take responsibility. Leaving her out helps nobody.
The Western clothes seemed staged. She should be true to herself and be allowed to stand trial.
If sajid knows so much then she will be found guilty as charged.
She is a loose cannon as she is and may become a martyr. I feel very uncomfortable stripping her of British citizenship take responsibility.

Urmstongran Wed 15-Sep-21 23:00:45

At least she has the latest Sports Direct gear to cheer her up.

SueDonim Thu 16-Sep-21 00:33:16

I don’t have any sympathy for her and I note she isn’t sorry for what she did, she’s only sorry if people were offended by it. However, I also think it’s better to keep your enemies close. If she was in the UK she could be monitored more easily than in Syria or Bangladesh, which I think is her dual-citizen county.

Oldwoman70 Thu 16-Sep-21 06:28:40

Her comments about the Manchester bombing being "justified" lost her any sympathy people felt for her. This comment was made after she had claimed to have changed and wanted to return to UK. Remember the organisation she joined has told its supporters to return to their home countries and continue the fight there. Would those advocating her return be happy for her to live next door and spend time with their children and grandchildren?

BlueBelle Thu 16-Sep-21 07:21:50

I remember at 15 being totally in love with a man in his late 20s and separated from his wife he was my saviour out of a boring life he was my future I was SO in love I m sure I would have followed him to anywhere and then he dumped me and I came back down to earth with a bang
Surely we have a duty to this girl we can’t shrug our shoulders and be so cruel I don’t mean put the red carpet out for her if she needs to be watched or prosecuted then so be it but for those saying leave her to rot don’t you have an once if compassion and humanity in your bones nothing is as cut and dried as that

Lincslass Thu 16-Sep-21 07:27:11

I cannot believe this is even being discussed. The woman will say anything to try and get into peoples good books. Her lawyer quoted as saying”the boys are back in town’, he’s as bad as she is. She is not British, she was denationalised, she is not to be trusted. She should not and will not be allowed to tread our streets again.I for one am saying no more on this

Sallywally1 Thu 16-Sep-21 07:51:03

If she is allowed back to the UK then her Jihadi ‘husband’ will automatically be allowed to join her., on the grounds that he has a ‘right’ to a family life.

Before wasting our sympathy on this woman think of all the victims this evil group perpetrated. Sympathise with the Yazidi people and the aid workers such as Alan Henning who went to help and was beheaded and many many other innocent people who were murdered.

Sarnia Thu 16-Sep-21 07:56:17

I wouldn't let her back into Britain at any price. She happily went of her own free will. She has witnessed atrocities that, in her own words, didn't faze her. She has made her bed, let her lie on it. Letting her back in would open the floodgates to others like her. We don't need them.

foxie48 Thu 16-Sep-21 09:45:50

The girls who were groomed by gangs of men in Rotherham etc were seen by the police and social services as "bad" girls who were prostituting themselves and taking drugs because that was their decision. Thank goodness society eventually recognised what had happened to them. The young girls and boys who were radicalised and helped to travel to Syria IMO were in exactly the same category, just as those vulnerable school kids who get sucked into right wing groups and those that get drawn into county lines operations. At 15/16 children's brains are very "plastic", they are not always good at decision making and are much more likely to indulge in risk taking. This girl has had 4 children and 3 have died, her jihadi husband is dead and she has witnessed the most dreadful acts of violence. If she had objected to anything she saw or was told to do no doubt she would have been the next for the chop, literally. People expect her to behave normally after going through that as a teenager? Where is your compassion and empathy? Bring her home and let her stand trial.

Whatdayisit Thu 16-Sep-21 10:09:36

I do not understand when those who say don't let her back in why they think that Britain is a safer place without her. Surely it is similar now to the situation with Afghanistan? They are loose cannons.
Why can't she be tried for her alleged crimes? that is what our constitution is based on. For those saying if she moved in next door - then she would have done her time it's called rehabilitation.
How many lives have been saved by The Good Friday agreement? How many innocents were lost because of Government's refusal to speak to the IRA. And how fragile is that peace process since Teresa May rode roughshod over it forming her Westminster Coalition with the DUP.
Begum was a child when she left this country and we are responsible for what happened to her and we should take on that responsibility not kowtow to the readers of the tabloids.

Chewbacca Thu 16-Sep-21 10:11:22

I can see both sides here; yes she was a young, impressionable and vulnerable girl who had no idea what she was getting herself into when she joined ISIS and was, in all probability groomed. She is our responsibility and we have already repatriated other ISIS members back to the UK, so, why not her? However, I can also see why people are so disbelieving of her remorse and apologies. She's been interviewed several times since being in an internment camp and has steadfastly refused to acknowledge that ISIS is a terrorist group that she enabled and supported nor has she shown any regret or remorse until now. Apologies that are given, only when one's back is against the wall and you're absolutely desperate to exonerate yourself from wrongdoing, are worthless; she's had plenty of opportunities to express herself in the past but chose not to.
Savid Javid appears to have more conclusive information on her involvement in Syria than she's, even now, willing to admit. I'd need to know more before casting my vote.

crazyH Thu 16-Sep-21 10:11:42

Her “your country” says it all …….

trisher Thu 16-Sep-21 10:15:22

Under International law she qualifies as being a child soldier. Child soldiers are traditionally regarded as boys forced to fight and kill. but significant numbers of girls are recruited as 'wives' or sex slaves. Her behaviour and attitude shows real evidence of the desensitisation such people show. If you are at all interested theres more here theirworld.org/explainers/child-soldiers#section-1
It's time we recognised the awful things that happen to women and girls.

henetha Thu 16-Sep-21 10:21:00

I much prefer to believe Sajid Javid than this young woman. It's not just the fact of her leaving to join Isis, it's her whole attitude. I don't trust her one bit.

Zoejory Thu 16-Sep-21 10:22:00

crazyH

Her “your country” says it all …….

Why?

She's been stripped of her UK citizenship. It's not her country any more.

Maybe that's why she says that.

bikergran Thu 16-Sep-21 10:23:25

I did watch the interview and found it robotic. I don't know anything other than what the media has portrayed. It seemed rehearsed and without any emotion what so ever.

I got the feeling she was trying to "bargain" with the UK, sort of "let me come back and I will tell you everything secrets and all"

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-Sep-21 10:25:42

I acknowledge she was radicalised/groomed to become a Jihadi Bride , she has had to bury all three of her children.

Some of the atrocities she has seen and been party to are dreadful.

My suspicion was aroused when watching the full interview on GMB yesterday morning. She is being kept in a Northern Syrian Refugee Camp, this is a strict Muslim enclave however, Shamima is shown wearing Western clothes, baring her shoulders, makeup, jewellery and a neat manicure, how has this been achieved? Is she being manipulated by Daesh still? She was constantly looking off camera before she answered a question?

By all means bring her back to stand trial, but treat her as a danger to the UK at all times.

The full Burka didn’t work a few years ago and the all Western Girl doesn’t work today…

rafichagran Thu 16-Sep-21 10:27:30

Foxie Where was her compassion and Empathy?I have no sympathy for her at all all.

seacliff Thu 16-Sep-21 10:27:35

If she doesn't feel it's HER country, why does she want to come back here?

Alegrias1 Thu 16-Sep-21 10:28:41

Good post at 10:15 trisher.

We don't have to feel sorry for her, or think she's hard done by or any of those things. The law is meant to be blind to all that. She is British, whatever Javid says, because she doesn't have any other nationality. That's how international law works and despite what we think, we can't change things unilaterally.

She is our responsibility and we need to take her back to Britain, put her on trial and imprison her if necessary. I don't think anyone is suggesting she gets to wander the streets and play happy families.

timetogo2016 Thu 16-Sep-21 10:33:16

Kandinsky,i totaly agree with you 100%.

Whatdayisit Thu 16-Sep-21 10:36:02

I watched the interview and felt sickened by her Westernised appearance. It felt obvious she was trying to look as though she was no longer a Muslim. It felt shallow and a waste of time it won't win people round. I feel sickened by what she has gone through and what she has alleged to have done.
But I feel sickened that we as a country are not taking responsibility. Who are we expecting to do our duty work. If Javid has more dirt on her take her to trial. I would be happy for my taxes to go to her incarceration. We have just been happy paying for Peter Sutcliffe all those years. It was never suggested we should strip him of his citizenship. This is Islamophobia and misogyny.

trisher Thu 16-Sep-21 10:37:49

Thanks Alegrias1 I think it's so interesting that many of the posts on this thread describe her as "robotic" *unfeeling" or use other words meaning she fails to show the emotional responses people think women traditionally should exhibit, because such behaviour is typical of people who have been recruited as children, and exposed to unthinkable levels of violence. In other words they are actually just showing how damaged she really is, and not as the poster imagines giving reasons why she shouldn't come back to Britain.

Josianne Thu 16-Sep-21 10:40:45

GrannyGravy13

I wonder where she got the make-up, the western clothes, the jewellery and her perfectly painted manicured finger nails, I shouldn’t think that these are readily available in a refugee camp in Northern Syria?

If she has all those modern western trappings, isn't the worry she also has a mobile phone and access to social media? How is anyone able to properly monitor that and does she present a danger to us with all her contacts?

Woodmouse Thu 16-Sep-21 10:42:51

No sympathy for her whatsoever.