Gransnet forums

Chat

Moved to Devon and am struggling to make friends.

(28 Posts)
Elie Fri 17-Sep-21 15:52:36

My husband and I moved to Devon around 3 years ago. He is happy to go his own way, not really needing mates, but I am a very sociable person and have always found it easy to make friends, to go for coffee, shopping expeditions, theatres, museums - you name it we did it. However, since being here I have struggled. I have joined U3A, as I belonged to one where we moved from, but with very few exceptions, there isn't much the local one does that I like. And even the activities I go to, the people, although friendly enough, are not looking for friends as they have their own outside U3A - unlike my previous one.
I have a wide range of interests, from gardening to learning foreign languages, shopping trips to travelling, various sports to day trips.
Any suggestions would be greatly as I am becoming more and more house bound, with the exception of days out with hubby.
I have even tried volunteering but again everyone seemed to go their own way.
This is an environment I am totally unfamiliar with and am running out of ideas.
HELP!!!!!!

Nacky Sun 19-Sep-21 03:11:14

Meet up groups (just 'google' for your area) are a good way of making friends and easy as you just join in what you want. Walks, meals, activities are all arranged by members. I know two people who moved to a new area and found them invaluable. Libraries can be good too both in terms of running groups (knit and natter, bookgroups here) and as a way of finding out what is going on locally. Good luck.

Scones Sun 19-Sep-21 09:47:30

My friend moved to a north Devon town 5 years ago. She's a single woman and knew nobody there. She's made a wide circle of friends by taking a part time job, joining dog walking groups, volunteering, joining the local social media forum and attending events advertised there e.g. fundraising fairs for RNLI, talking to her neighbours, taking courses at the local craft shop, helping out at the community garden, learning to play an instrument and joining the town band. Phew!!

I know people are joking about a dog being a way into the local community, but in remote/rural areas it really is true. I know you said your husband has said no to a dog but if he is happy and you are unhappy perhaps this might be something which could change your life and he should reconsider. If he won't then there is a Dog's Trust in Ilfracombe who might be very grateful for dog walkers and foster carers.

You sound lovely Elie and I'm sure people will be lucky to have you as a new friend. Stick with it. Try other volunteering opportunities as they are very definitely not all the same. These things just take time.