Gransnet forums

Chat

Haircut

(10 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 21-Sep-21 09:20:52

Oh dear my courage failed me this morning and i rang and cancelled appointment. It was giving me panic attacks yesterday just thinking about it and i couldnt sleep last night.
I am going to have to do it but obviously i am not ready yet. Not sure if its the thought of being in that kind of enviroment, covid, or just fear i wont like what they do.

Yammy Sat 18-Sep-21 10:24:16

Phone your regular hairdresser and ask for a quiet time, explain you will need to talk about your hair and see what they suggest. My hairdresser left during covid but when I wanted to go back I explained that I would need longer time to talk.
I got another one who was happy to take me on who suggested cutting my hair short from the long bob with blond highlights I had had and just let the streaky grey grow through. I have actually had compliments from family and friends, it does not look like me in the mirror but with more modern glasses taking their advice as well I feel quite happy with it.
See what they can suggest.
You have done really well so far a new style will make you feel another step on the way.flowers

Jaxjacky Sat 18-Sep-21 10:10:49

I’d suggest a bob to your hairdresser, have a chat too about it’s condition, see how you feel after that. As NotAGran said, you can always have more off next time.
Best of luck.

BlueBelle Sat 18-Sep-21 09:18:59

You have done so well in all aspects travel after a horrendous year I hope a shorter cut will give you a tiny umph
You say it started to fall out but having it in a bun will encourage it to break off
I have had a pixie cut for many years and it is just so easy and everyone says it looks good and it’s just such a real doddle to keep looking ok A wash in the shower and an upside down head to dry it tiny bit of a product to run through and bingo done for the day

NotAGran55 Sat 18-Sep-21 09:02:11

Personally I wouldn’t go too mad with the first cut, a bob if you know it suits you to start with .
You can’t stick it back on , but you can always have more cut off!

Years ago a friend went from waist length to a pixie cut in stages to get used to it .

infoman Sat 18-Sep-21 06:23:07

If you go at a quiet time maybe midday-ish on a tuesday or a wednesday the salonn might have more time to spend with you.

Georgesgran Sat 18-Sep-21 05:00:39

I was much the same - had my hair cut last year, then DH died in March and it took me a few months to go back to the salon. I don’t go often - 3 or 4 times a year, but to the same place, so I do have a relationship with my Stylist. My worry was her asking after DH, but once I’d told her my news, we just discussed my hair and I went for quite a drastic cut - no regrets.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-Sep-21 20:03:24

If you have a regular hairdresser speak to her, she will know you and your hair. (My hair is now halfway down my back as I cannot make a decision, like you I put it up most days, I keep thinking that one morning I shall wake up and know what style/cut I want)

Sorry you have had such a dreadful year, good to see you posting again ?

J52 Fri 17-Sep-21 19:50:38

So sorry for your loss.
I’d go to a salon you trust and ask for a consultation on a cut to suit you and how to improve the condition. A good hairdresser should spend time giving you advice.
You obviously feel it’s time for a change, go for it!

travelsafar Fri 17-Sep-21 19:40:32

I need to pluck up courage to get my hair sorted. Since loosing my dh at the beginning of the year I have neglected it. I haven't had it trimmed once since January and being as it started to fall out after having covid it needs a really good cut. Currently it is in a bun everyday and my fringe clipped back as so long and out of shape. Should I go short or a bob which would be half way. At the moment it is shoulder length.