Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday 18th September 2021

(49 Posts)
Michael12 Sat 18-Sep-21 06:06:25

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark here in brackley with mist or fog about .
Yesterday , or last night I enjoyed watching a programme on Channel 5 "The Cotswolds with Pam Ayres " , and the first programme of the series showed allot of familiar places to me, apart from that many years ago when I first started work at 15 , I did have the pleasure of knowing Pam before she was famous , although she worked on the office side of where I worked , we did further education day release from work in Oxford , I sat behind her n the classroom .
Anyway today , my usual Saturday bus trips to Buckingham and Bicester with hopefully no hold ups .
Take Care,
Mick

Anniebach Sat 18-Sep-21 08:18:29

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Jane71 Sat 18-Sep-21 08:21:33

Good morning all from the north west. It’s a grey day here with a not brilliant forecast which is a nuisance as we’re just back from Co Kerry in Ireland and loads of washing to do.
Catching up with family is the other main job for the day, with hopefully a walk, and sorting out the garden. No rest for the wicked!

Sar53 Sat 18-Sep-21 08:24:25

Good morning from a brightening sky here in Essex by the sea.

Congratulations to May and Maw on the birth of their new grandsons. Enjoy your cuddles.

We are going into town so that DH can try and upgrade his phone. I have a few bits to buy.

A Chinese take away this evening. That's about the extent of our plans for today.

Enjoy Saturday everyone xxx

Urmstongran Sat 18-Sep-21 08:26:28

Lovely to be amongst other avid readers! ?

So your daughter had a doula Maw? How wonderful. I think it’s very posh (but amazingly supportive for those who can afford it). I read an article on them once. A cross between a midwife and a special birthing friend as the trust in the ongoing relationship builds up and the new mum can call on her doula any time for support and reassurance. I think they sound marvellous, not only for a first birth but subsequent ones as family bizzyness can sometimes cloud this special time. Lucky girl!
?

monk08 Sat 18-Sep-21 08:27:22

Good morning all from a sunny Black country.
Busy busy on here this morning will catch up later full English is calling.
Welcome any newbies, best wishes anyone celebrating and virtual hugs were needed.
Enjoy your day everyone and may you all find some ?.

cornergran Sat 18-Sep-21 08:34:25

Morning Mick, morning All from a sunny corner of Somerset.

We also enjoyed the tour of parts of the Cotswolds, Mick, good to revisit places we know, Pam Ayers has a gently humorous, relaxed style suiting the programme.

Enjoy meeting your new grandson maw. Congratulations to you and the family maydonoz, cuddles ahead for you too. Fingers crossed for you alizarin, a consultant request could do the trick. Go gently greyd, hope that’s not a frozen shoulder.

Pleased you slept well mattie, I’m sleeping like a log since returning home. Wonder if it will last. Unexpected need for sanitisation in corner-land today. Our much anticipated visit from a cleaner didn’t happen yesterday, poor soul has vertigo. The Butler says he will diversify. smile. I can dust remove, strangely am quite looking forward to it. Good exercise for me.

Take care everyone. Hope Saturday is kind to us all.

MayBeMaw Sat 18-Sep-21 08:57:39

I don’t think it’s posh at all!
Most expectant mums book into ante-natal groups like NCT or Hypnobirthing etc . When you think that many new mums may live at her other end of the country from their own mothers, the support given by these groups is invaluable. The NHS just does not have the resources for Health Visitors in the way we had them, or home visits from community midwives . Mums are in and out of hospital often within hours of giving birth (D3 was home by teatime when her first baby was born in the morning ) so I’m for all young families getting whatever help or support they can at a time when they can be very vulnerable. If only the Community Midwifery and Health Visitor services were adequate to support everybody who needs them.

Annapops Sat 18-Sep-21 09:02:00

Good morning from Cartmel in Cumbria where we are enjoying our hot tub lodge break. It's rather wet this morning but yesterday turned out to be glorious for our 6 mile circular walk taking in Grange over Sands. Today we're off to do a boat trip across Windermere so fingers crossed the rain soon stops.

Congratulations May and Maw. Such wonderful news regarding the new arrivals.

GS2 celebrates his birthday today by first visiting a magic shop to spend some of his birthday cash (he's recently become amazingly good at card tricks). Then he's off for his first grown up restaurant birthday meal. I'm sure he'll enjoy. Oh how I wish I was 12 again.....eeek....maybe not!

Have the best day you can everyone.

Grammaretto Sat 18-Sep-21 09:05:28

Good Morning from the Scottish Borders. At least it's not raining for the wedding later today.
It is really autumnal now. I have been picking the last of the sweet peas and honeysuckle for the flower arrangements.

Many congratulations to Maw and to May on the new arrivals.
Plenty of cuddles in store!
It's DGD's 4th birthday but I will not be at her party. I will go later in the week when the excitement hype has settled.

What fun to be with Pam Ayres, Mick or maybe you were the comedian back then? Did she write a poem for you?

Hoping everyone has a nice day.

Urmstongran Sat 18-Sep-21 09:06:48

Totally agree with you Maw on all points there. It’s just that not everyone has the finances to pay for a doula. I suppose that’s what I meant by ‘posh’! I too wish NHS maternity care stretched to fit the needs of all who would like some extra support.
? ? ?

Nannytopsy Sat 18-Sep-21 09:19:22

Doulas can be a great help as long as they understand their limitations, as they are not qualified midwives. DiL, a midwife, had a real problem with one when a water birth suddenly went very wrong and needed immediate action. The doula tried to interfere.

Nannytopsy Sat 18-Sep-21 09:25:54

Good morning Mick and all his followers. The mist has cleared and it looks like a lovely day in Suffolk.
Enjoy your cuddles Maw & May and I hope you get lovely names for the boys.
Gardening and housework today - we are a bit messy and in need of some serious cleaning.
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

aggie Sat 18-Sep-21 09:35:23

Good morning everyone, lovely and sunny here but nippy !
Congratulations on the new wee babies , no more expected here … sigh
I wiped round the hob as I waited for the kettle to boil , hope that counts as my housework contribution today , I have gardening conundrums to apply myself to decide

Blossoming Sat 18-Sep-21 09:38:33

Good morning Mick and all. Light cloud here in Lancashire. Temperature currently 16°C.

Nothing much planned for today, I am feeling the after effects of yesterday’s walk.

Welcome to any new posters. Best wishes to anyone celebrating and virtual hugs to anybody suffering. Wishing a safe journey to anybody traveling.

Have the best day possible. ???

NanKate Sat 18-Sep-21 09:53:13

Missing Marydoll and her wonderful novellas. ?

EkwaNimitee Sat 18-Sep-21 09:58:20

Good morning Mick and everyone from a rather wet Carlisle.
I am still nursing my tooth extraction site. So far, so good, it's only slightly sore but I'm still worrying about getting the dreaded dry socket so I'm continuing to eat tediously slowly and carefully.
A Tesco delivery arrived yesterday, the second time no free-range chicken available, so a good job Sainsbury's had some the other day. DS1 tells me the GCs are making up their Father Christmas lists already in case he can't get what they want later. I don't like to think about the C-word in September, I think I shall survive, whatever is missing in the shops.
I am going to spend some time with a book today, listening not reading as BBC Sounds has the complete unabridged Jane Eyre.
Congratulations to the new Grans, an enjoyable few days for you both.
Thanks for your kind messages yesterday LauraNorder and brook. A pity my brother lives so far away, I shall be upping my contacts with him from now on.
The best possible day to you all.

Stilllearning Sat 18-Sep-21 10:04:58

Morning from S Lanarkshire, cloudy but milder than yesterday which was distinctly ‘parky’ yesterday. Definitely autumn arriving.

Congratulations to maydonoz and Maw, new babies are such a special joy.

Lovely long blethery afternoon yesterday with a good friend and another planned for later today, combined with a visit to MacKinnon Mills to return shoes which have my usual problem of only fitting one foot properly. This is why I never buy shoes online so it’s my own fault.

I’ve noted down your book title too Urmston, I am starting to read again now my eye has been fixed. Enjoy your last week in the sun.

Wishing everyone a good weekend ???

Grandmadinosaur Sat 18-Sep-21 10:07:52

Good morning from sunny East Yorkshire.

Congratulations to maw and may enjoy cuddles. There’s nothing beats that first cuddle!

I had a very enjoyable lunch yesterday and then time with dgs after school. His mummy came home from hospital early evening. She is resting so we are having him for a few hours this morning whilst daddy goes to football.
Then Strictly tonight ... it comes round so quickly every year.
I enclose a photo of what our small town woke up to this morning. Words fail me.

Have a good day all.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 18-Sep-21 10:08:39

Didn’t work the first time ?

hollysteers Sat 18-Sep-21 10:11:08

Good morning Mick and all from a dull Lancashire coast.
More plum picking today and a little singing practice for next Tuesday’s meeting.
Really enjoyed art group up yesterday, experimenting with ink and bleach, very interesting effects.
I too will watch the Cotswolds programme Mick, I spent the long summer holidays with my godmother in that part of the world and thought it was paradise, a tiny hamlet.
‘You should be here in the winter!” my city born godmother would say when I rhapsodised about it…She liked Pam Ayres too.
Congratulations to Maw and May and thoughts to grandMattie and Harrigran,

Litterpicker Sat 18-Sep-21 11:54:42

Good morning from a cloudy but bright West Sussex.
Mick how lovely to watch a programme with places that you know and the memory of Pam Ayres from your early working days.
DH and I had a lovely day yesterday at Goodwood Revival. We volunteered for a 2 hour stint collecting for charity. Then had the afternoon free to enjoy all the wonderful outfits from the 40s, 50s and 60s. Lots of classic cars on show and racing noisily round the track!
Off to have my flu injection now.

Auntieflo Sat 18-Sep-21 12:25:23

Well, apologies, it's good afternoon, Mick, Annie, Marydoll and all.
It is another beautiful day here, and the sun is really warm.
I slept until 9.00am, and woke to a luke-warm cup of tea. So by the time I had had breakfast, showered and washed my hair, paid a couple of bills on line, and hung out a quick laundry wash, it's mid-day. Oh well, it's a good job that there is nothing absolutely necessary here to do.
DH has an appointment with the podiatrist at 1.30, so maybe a light bite in town afterwards.
Many congratulations to Maw and May , on the arrival of new babies in the family. How lovely with all the cuddles to look forward to.
Nice to see GrandMattie posting, love and hugs to her.
Have a good day one and all.

maydonoz Sat 18-Sep-21 15:09:01

Hi all
Many thanks to you for your kind wishes for our DGS, yes it is a very special time for the family.
Congrats to you too MaybeMaw and enjoy your first meeting!