Gransnet forums

Chat

Dogs on beds

(113 Posts)
Neen Mon 20-Sep-21 22:22:16

I know I shouldn't have when i got her last year but I did and now she's a nearly 18 month old who has more bed than me. She has her three walks a day and I sometimes hire the freedom field so she has of leash time. I talk to her and we play in the garden. She gives me her paw if she wants a treat and barks at the hoover still. She's a strong girlie but trys to sit on my lap or acooss me and loves soft toy play time and I love her.
My friend said she shouldn't be in the bed and I'm too close to her and she should be a dog, not spoken to like a human.
I'm not the only one surely ?

Smurf52 Wed 29-Sep-21 20:25:36

Lulu, a bit sleepy.

Smurf52 Wed 29-Sep-21 20:18:25

My 4 year old dog always sleeps on my bed, as did my previous dogs. As I live in my own, it’s comforting to feel this warm lump lying next to me. I always make sure she is regularly groomed, wormed and deflead.

FlexibleFriend Mon 27-Sep-21 14:31:09

Exactly each to their own, if both owner and dog are happy with the arrangement what does it matter whether others approve or not.

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 26-Sep-21 15:57:56

I wouldn’t even have a dog in my house, certainly not on a bed. Each to their own.

dotters Sun 26-Sep-21 15:45:52

I shared my bed with my dog for 12 years (10 years ago now) and I still miss the way he used to push against my back oooooo!!

3nanny6 Fri 24-Sep-21 17:47:14

My dog came to me at 5 weeks old when some shitty people left her alone in a house and moved out. I managed to get in the house and then took her home and kept her. I thought she was about 7/8 weeks old and took her to the vet for her jabs but the vet said she was about 5 weeks old. I waited another few weeks and went back and got her jab and micro-chip also nobody had wormed her so I got all that done as well.
In fact she is not my dog she is the most faithful and loving friend more like a human to me and of course she sleeps on my bed her place is beside me just as it has been since I got her. She is eleven now but as healthy as ever with the odd spot of arthritis and the day I am parted from her will be the day I lose some of my world.

FlexibleFriend Fri 24-Sep-21 17:19:40

I have 3 Pugs, 2 females and a male. The girls sleep on my bed but the boy sleeps in his crate in my room. If he could sit still and not fidget I would let him on the bed. I have tried on numerous occasions but I think he prefers his crate. The girls sleep one either side of me, one flat out on her back and one on her front. Neither is interested in touching me or fidgeting. They stay on the bed while I shower and dress and then we all go downstairs together.

Tickledpink Fri 24-Sep-21 16:57:38

We had our dog for 15 years and he loved sneaking into our beds right down to the bottom. The children didn’t mind but I wouldn’t allow it.

sazz1 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:07:03

Only one puppy shared my bed. She came to me very ill with pneumonia and chronic eczema. I bought her from kennels in the 70s. Vet visited and told my mum she probably wouldn't survive. She was coughing all night. My mum told me to feed her on raw beaten eggs as she wouldn't eat. And she made a full recovery, and then slept in a dog bed on the bedroom floor. My dogs now sleep in the kitchen and are not allowed upstairs.

icanhandthemback Thu 23-Sep-21 11:01:07

I don't share the bed with my dog because there isn't room with the 3 cats...and he's terrified of lying down with them! He's 35kg and has been a lap dog at every chance for all his life. The only reason he doesn't get on my lap now is that his back legs are going so he can't make it.
The real point is whether your dog is well trained enough to be told to get off the bed when you want her to or stay off the sofa when guests come. Any sign of aggression when you try to move them off is the point where you have to make sure they are gently put back into place as a dog. Our boy had a moment so the Behaviourist said we had to stop the sofa surfing. We did until he realised his place in the pecking order was behind my son's and we never had a problem again. It was a transient thing of our boy going into adulthood from adolescence where he was trying it on. It is at the point you need to stand your ground unless you want a dog that rules the roost.

nipsmum Thu 23-Sep-21 10:47:47

I have 2 West Highland Terriers. They both follow me around and wouldn't give anyone peace if I shut them out of the bedroom. But the rule is " not on the bed". I talk to them like I did my children but they do know some hand signals and respond to them. They are generally quiet and both from that wonderful organisation called Westie Rescue. I love them both dearly and dread the day I have to part with them.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Thu 23-Sep-21 10:45:35

Both my dogs sleep in their beds on my bed! They sleep on the ex husbands side so not a problem, in fact they are better company than he was. They stay in their beds when I shower and get ready then we go downstairs to greet the cats and start our day. I did say when I got my new sofa and chair that they wouldn't be on them but a couple of fluffy throws later and the one loves the chair by the window along with the one cat and the other snuggles with me on the sofa the other cat on the back. It's their home as well and they give me great love and pleasure so worth it. ?

Neen Thu 23-Sep-21 09:19:22

Look at these pictures. I couldn't explain in words what Rana means to me . I love her and clearly some people on this thread also have some beautiful members of the family too. Enjoy them and I think basically yup, my home, my dog , my rules ..thanks for everything, it's made me feel better x

Hetty58 Thu 23-Sep-21 09:08:59

Here I am!

sodapop Thu 23-Sep-21 08:43:30

smile that made me smile Hetty58 I love JRs and still miss our boy. Have you any pics ?

Hetty58 Thu 23-Sep-21 08:37:42

I've had many rescue dogs, some trained to never go upstairs or on the furniture, others straight in the beds!

One never set foot on the lawn - coming from a house where even the children weren't allowed on the grass - and (no surprise) the owner had a complete breakdown.

My present little JRT is always beside me, day and night - (in the bed, of course) and a lovely little companion.

Once, we left a relative looking after the four kids and actually went out for the day. We returned to find her horrified that the dog had been on the beds - so she'd stripped them all and put everything on to wash.

She said she couldn't find our spare bedding. We didn't really have much - as I never washed it all at once!

MaggieTulliver Thu 23-Sep-21 08:16:32

Totally with you OP, my ancient rescue has shared my bed for 10 years (I’m single) and it’s just the norm for me. I’m a very clean person and don’t appear to have caught anything nasty off him! You do what you want and enjoy your lovely dog. They are the best companions and get us out and about which is really important as we age.

Mollygo Thu 23-Sep-21 07:27:55

No pets on beds or furniture for me thanks, though I did have a tank of stick insects on my bedside table at one time. My DDs both allow their pets on the bed. Their house, their choice.

MayBee70 Wed 22-Sep-21 23:35:29

He’s gorgeous!

Mamma66 Wed 22-Sep-21 23:02:18

Neen, Rana is stunning. They are such funny, quirky characters aren’t they? Our boy is the most gentle and loving creature, but he is quietly naughty in a mist unassuming way. He also makes us roar with laughter. Maurice very rarely barks but is extremely vocal with his rooing and whinging ?

Happysexagenarian Wed 22-Sep-21 22:05:57

Neen Your dog is just beautiful! Enjoy your lives together in whatever ways suit you both. It is nothing to do with anyone else.

Our dog (a Springer) sleeps in our bedroom, sometimes on the bed if it's very cold. He has his own raised bed at the end of our bed, or he may choose to sleep on the landing or in the bathroom in hot weather. Like any lively active dog he gets smelly so he's bathed every 2 or 3 weeks, and treated for worms and fleas throughout the year, so we have no concerns about hygiene issues. Yes, he sheds hair (everywhere), but we can live with that just for the pleasure and fun of having him in our lives.

muffinthemoo Wed 22-Sep-21 20:36:31

They're my dogs and it's my bed and I'll do what the hell I like smile

Coco51 Wed 22-Sep-21 20:32:30

I’m a cat person - but pets on beds is what we are talking about, strangely, after being cat-less for 15 years my new kitty has a reserved place on my bed. Previously my cats weren’t allowed anywhere but on the floor!

Neen Wed 22-Sep-21 19:50:24

Mamma66 oh your boy is gorgeous. Yes Rana is a saluki. She's funny and quite a character to say the least ha .

arum Wed 22-Sep-21 18:31:52

Of course, dogs are part of the family. Our dogs have always been allowed on the bed when we were awake. As soon as we switched off the light, the dogs hopped off and went to sleep in their own beds. But, no dogs allowed on the couch. Their beds were in the lounge, so had their place to spread out alongside their humans.