Gransnet forums

Chat

Help - I have become my father!!

(63 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Wed 22-Sep-21 15:02:37

Listening to the radio this afternoon I heard songs by Freddie Mercury and Elton John (great), these were followed by a woman singing about her "booty" and how her friends man wanted to "be more than friends", and then a man rapping that his "bitch" was his "personal slut". Found myself thinking "they call this music" - which is exactly what my father used to say about the music I listened to!

I know different generations inevitably like different music and I do like some modern music but I have to say I find lyrics like this turn me into my father!

effalump Sun 26-Sep-21 21:21:02

Sorry that should have said 'woke speak'.

effalump Sun 26-Sep-21 21:20:36

I say the same about current chart music. At least music from the 70's and 80's seemed to be stories set to music whereas a lot of today's songs seem to be about heartbreak, etc. or 'work speak' which I just don't get at all.

Seabear Fri 24-Sep-21 08:36:20

Blossoming

Singalonga Foo Fighters please! Plus for disco fans there’s their Hail Satin album of Bee Gees covers.

(Seriously, for YouTube fans you should definitely give the Foos’ live cover of Shadow Dancing a listen)

youtu.be/7o5n5SpWEwQ

It’s my latest earworm and now it can be yours too grin

OMG! I never knew this existed. Buying the album now grin

hereshoping Fri 24-Sep-21 08:14:11

I rather enjoy Dementia Radio, except that they keep repeating the same few songs day in, day out. You can choose 50's , 60's or 70's.

Nell8 Thu 23-Sep-21 20:28:31

Blossoming and Green Gran Thank you both. Sandy MacPherson .... I'm sure that's the man! I've googled him and he had several request shows on the Light Programme, including one called "The Twilight Hour". What sort of doomy gloomy title is that? No wonder my childhood memories are grim!
Anyway, thanks again. I now have "closure".smile

chrissyh Thu 23-Sep-21 20:15:11

I've found Boom Radio and, as it suggests, plays music of the Baby Boomer era. What I love about it is the presenters are all of a certain age and it is very soothing, no shouting or inane chatter. Even the ads are not intrusive. I listen to it on Alexa but don't know where else you can find it.

GreenGran78 Thu 23-Sep-21 20:07:55

Nell8 I'm rather ashamed to admit that it was Sandy McPherson at the organ (not sure about the spelling). I can't remember what I had for breakfast, some days, but the name popped into my head as soon as I read your post.
I was born in 1939, so my childhood memories are of Workers' Playtime, Vera Lynn's Forces' Favourites, The Billy Cotton Band Show (Wakey...wakey!) I could probably still remember the words and music for most of the wartime songs, because we only had 'the wireless' to listen to. My parents weren't classical music fans, so I didn't even know that such a thing existed.
I was taken to a performance of "Merrie England" just after the war, and was absolutely blown away by the sound of all those voices singing in harmony. It triggered a love of choral singing which I still maintain, though my voice is getting a bit past it now. I love most music, but some of the modern rap leaves me cold.

Bazza Thu 23-Sep-21 17:30:24

Love that usuallyright and you absolutely are, particularly the silent K.

Flakesdayout Thu 23-Sep-21 17:30:00

We had a radiogram when I was growing up which I was allowed to play my singles which stacked up to 7. Then when I started work I bought my own "stereo record player/cd player." My Dad used to bang on the ceiling with a brook stick as my music was too loud. I was into Soul Funk and Reggae with a heavy beat. I also remember Sing Something Simple and sometimes for some strange reason will wake up with a really old song in my head. (Dont know where that comes from). I like T.Rex so will be happy with that. Even have Get It On as my phone ring tone.

usuallyright Thu 23-Sep-21 17:19:19

I personally have different classifications for the modern day noises as I consider them to be.
These are as follows, Thrash, Wail, Wail and Thrash together,
Just noise, even Louder Noise, Head Banging, and, not the least Silent K. This particular one is often referred to as Rap where the K is silent. Happy listening.

Janburry Thu 23-Sep-21 16:12:16

I remember singing along to a song that Boyzone had 'just' released, my GD was amazed l knew the lyrics when l informed her l used to sing along to the song many years before she said l couldn't possibly have as it was a new song they had just released hmm

Lizzie44 Thu 23-Sep-21 16:11:11

My Dad loved his wireless and I can picture him in the 1940s and 50s sitting in his armchair, puffing on his pipe and tapping his feet to the Latin American music of Edmundo Ros on the Billy Cotton's Band Show. He also loved Friday Night is Music Night and Sing Something Simple.

Trisha57 Thu 23-Sep-21 15:06:34

Both my daughters were born in the early 80s, but because of their Dad's taste in music and his huge 50s and 60s record collection, they used to sit on the swing together swinging backwards and forwards singing "Anyone who had a Heart" by Cilla Black, much to the amusement of our neighbours. When youngest DD was in hospital having her adenoids removed at age 6, the hospital radio man came round the children's ward asking for requests. Many requests for Kiley and Jason, and then he came to my daughter who promptly asked for "That'll be the Day" by Buddy Holly!!!

Blossoming Thu 23-Sep-21 14:55:56

I don’t know, not I know!

Eloethan Thu 23-Sep-21 14:54:24

I don't mind rap - though dislike some of the lyrics. However, some of these raps are quite poetic and very meaningful. But I don't really see them as "music". Quite often the backing track has been taken from previous records, which, to my mind is cheating anyway.

I also hate the growing trend in contemporary music for synthesized voices, which, again, I see as cheating. Quite often the voices sound very similar because of these synthesizers and I wonder how many of these artistes would be successful if they didn't have the aid of technology.

Blossoming Thu 23-Sep-21 14:52:37

Nell8 I know the name of the programme but I think the organist was probably Sandy MacPherson.

Blossoming Thu 23-Sep-21 14:49:37

The Dee Gees started as a joke Pink Cosmos as part of the Foos’ ongoing response to the Westboro Baptist Church pickets. It kind of grew from there, and there are several other Dee Gees songs on YouTube. It’s fun and the music’s good!

Nell8 Thu 23-Sep-21 14:25:00

This thread has given me a half-formed and depressing flashback. Mum used to listen to Sandy Mac-somebody on the Home Service playing requests on his Hammond organ. Everything about it was drony and dreary especially the time I had to sit through the whole thing waiting for a request for Grandma to be played ... which it wasn't, of course.

Can anyone remember the name of the programme?

Unigran4 Thu 23-Sep-21 14:02:54

I used to like Sing Something Simple UNTIL.....I joined the BBC as a secretary and my first job (which lasted several days) was to sit in a soundproof booth and listen to over 50 recordings of SSS on the trot to check they were edited properly. I gather one SSS had gone on air unedited causing complaints and overrun in the week before I joined.

I went right off it after that!

PinkCosmos Thu 23-Sep-21 13:48:23

Blossoming - Singalonga Foo Fighters please! Plus for disco fans there’s their Hail Satin album of Bee Gees covers.

Just listened to the You Tube video. Brilliant.

Never knew that the Foo Fighters were a.k.a. the Dee Gees. My mum (R.I.P.) would have loved this. Better than 'Roll out the barrel' which seemed to be a favourite in the car home hmm

PinkCosmos Thu 23-Sep-21 13:39:02

Teacher Anne My mum is in a care home, she was born in 1932 but hates all the war time songs they sing there! As she was 13 when the war ended, I doubt that she was a fan of them first time around!

My mum was the same. She would have much rather listened to Michael Jackson or the Bee Gees!

Neilspurgeon0 Thu 23-Sep-21 12:04:40

Can I put in a plug for brilliant nostalgic music on Angel Radio angelradio.co.uk/

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 23-Sep-21 12:03:31

I used to work with a chap, who said his greatest fear of old age was ending up in a care home and the Brownies coming on to play Jimi Hendrix to the residents.
Me, I will want to be hearing Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Queen, Dire Straits, and the louder the better. Probably because I'll be deaf as a post and won't hear it if it isn't cranked up loud.

Yammy Thu 23-Sep-21 12:00:32

My uncle liked "Sing something simple", and played it while taking us for a walk on the beach and an ice cream on a Sunday evening, we always waited in anticipation for my aunt to say to him and so are you , Giggles all around.
My dad had been in the forces with the Americans and when we got a record player the house bounced to Souza marches and Glen Miller.
I do play the Beach Boys and a 60's compilation in the care so maybe in the Care home, I'll be singing "I get around" with my zimmer frame.

Dee1012 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:55:59

pen50

In my car we have Shriek-a-long-a-Plant....

Love it...
We have Air-guitar-like-Page in the kitchen!