Gransnet forums

Chat

I hate cats……

(157 Posts)
Sago Wed 22-Sep-21 19:42:00

I really don’t like cats, I live in an area that is teeming with them.

Our local neighbourhood watch Facebook page is full of pictures of lost cats and now people are just posting “cute” photographs of their cats.

I don’t get how anyone can be so crazy about these furry pests that use my garden as a toilet.

Am I alone?

kevincharley Fri 24-Sep-21 20:16:56

I don't much like people who don't like animals. There's something missing from their make-up which doesn't sit well with me.

lemongrove Fri 24-Sep-21 19:44:55

Kate1949

I don't tar them all with the same brush. People in my family have dogs and adore them. I think it's a bit unkind to tell someone they're not a nice person if they don't like them.
If someone told me they didn't like gay people or people with ginger hair, I would think that it was up to them. It's not how I feel but I wouldn't tell them they weren't nice.

I agree.My Grandmother didn’t want any pets in the house, she said that she just didn’t like them.A more lovely and kind person would be hard to imagine, although I never understood it as I really like them a lot.

WoodLane7 Fri 24-Sep-21 18:53:36

I have 3 feline rescue boys who give me lots of love and pleasure (I love dogs too but being at work a cat was more practical; two more have since made their home with me). They all use their own garden (ie mine!) as their toilet

123kitty Fri 24-Sep-21 18:45:42

Very brave of you to admit being a cat hater on GN Sago

Jaberwok Fri 24-Sep-21 18:34:52

I love dogs, but cats win out every time for me. My love affair with cats started when I was a toddler, living with my widowed mother and grandparents at the end of the war. They had a rather elderly tolerant ginger cat called Michael whom I would carry around and cuddle all day if they had let me! Since then we have always had cats, both at home and after I married. My last little girl was so affectionate and sweet natured and I was so upset when she had to be put to sleep (cancer aged 6) that I said I'd never have another cat, and I haven't. We do have a lovely Spaniel, and a beautiful Exmoor pony, so not animal free, not yet!

cupcake1 Fri 24-Sep-21 17:50:36

I’m a dog person dislike cats for reasons others have said ie using our garden as a toilet. We had builders in recently and they even s**t on top of a bag of rubbish they put outside. They squat on top of our planters and they never cover up their mess there or in the garden. They harass the birds which might well be in their nature but not a pleasant sight. I’ve had both cats and dogs, dogs are faithful and loving, cats are aloof and users IMHO.

Alioop Fri 24-Sep-21 15:49:16

I'm a dog lover and would never have a cat, although I wouldn't say I dislike them. One that lives near me is constantly on my fence, near the bird feeders waiting to pounce. I know it's in their nature, but it drives me bonkers.

Catterygirl Fri 24-Sep-21 15:09:07

Really old

Happysexagenarian Fri 24-Sep-21 15:08:59

Cats are wonderful creatures, how could anyone hate them. We have had several cats in the past but don't have one at the moment as we have a dog but I would happily have another one (or two) at any time. I've never hated any animal, with the exception of spiders and cockroaches, I even like snakes and rats.

Sago Do you like dogs? If you had a dog the cats would probably stay out of your garden. Alternatively consider moving to a cat free area.

Catterygirl Fri 24-Sep-21 15:08:34

Er, don’t know what to say. I don’t own a cat right now as wish to travel before becoming ready old. I am available for cat sitting though. Was brought up on farms. Enough said. Wary of horses as was badly bitten by one who crept up on me from behind and bit my elbow hard. Don’t hate them though. Chose my name as designed and owned a cattery abroad. I think I will keep out of this hot topic but enjoyed reading it all.

CBBL Fri 24-Sep-21 14:36:06

I love both cats and dogs. I only have cats because I cannot do the walking that a dog would need. My cats are indoor only - so they don't use anyone's garden as a toilet, not even mine!
I would happily have far more than the two rescues I currently have - but my husband has asthma, and I work hard to keep our home clean and sweet smelling.
I could not hate any animal, but I can understand that some animal owners could be far better than they actually are!

SueDonim Fri 24-Sep-21 14:33:45

Loyal or sycophantic? wink

All pets have a purpose in that they give us something to live for, especially if we live alone. Our cats have been endless sources of amusement, with their antics. They’re furry to cuddle, giving us warmth. They are company, even if they’re sitting in a corner in a huff. They’re someone to talk to and never answer back! grin

Juicylucy Fri 24-Sep-21 14:09:57

I love all animals but I’m a dog person at heart. I’m just unsure what purpose a pet cat has. Least with dog there loyal and you can get out for walks with them. I find cats fickle as they go with anyone that feeds them hence why so many appear lost.

SillyNanny321 Fri 24-Sep-21 13:46:04

If it hadnt been for my lovely girl all through Shielding & then after an arm injury I could not have gone on! She is the most affectionate cat I have had & I have had some real beauties! She is an indoor cat as too many cats have been killed on our road by drivers using it as a short cut & speeding through! Neighbourhood cats are welcome when I sit in my garden with my tortoise out in his pen for some sun! They come & play with him & sit with me! I still have birds visit also! Anyone who hates cats must be very sad! Cats rule LOL!!

pregpaws3 Fri 24-Sep-21 13:37:02

I used to breed Burmese cats and what joy those kittens gave to their new owners. Now many years later I still get messages and photos from the owners about their beloved pets.

Chino Fri 24-Sep-21 13:36:03

I LOVE CATS ?????

SueDonim Fri 24-Sep-21 13:24:54

There’s some hilarious anthropomorphism going on here! Cats kill for pleasure? No they don’t. They don’t have the thought processes for that. They kill because their survival instinct tells them to. And people lure birds to their garden and then complain when cats come to this honey trap?

I’m also amused by complaints about cats peeing on box hedges. Box stinks of cats pee at the best of times, especially when it’s sunny. It’s a revolting plant, I wouldn’t have it in my garden. grin

catladyuk Fri 24-Sep-21 13:21:06

Forgot to add that there are several humans I dislike (hate is too strong) but no animals. more tolerance is needed in this world

soop Fri 24-Sep-21 13:13:11

Well said NannyC1's Sago

Susanjaylibra Fri 24-Sep-21 13:08:38

Cats are beautiful and very loving and caring animals so I certainly don’t hate them or any animal

NannyC1 Fri 24-Sep-21 13:07:34

sago
My cat said she isn't very keen on you either.

hollysteers Fri 24-Sep-21 12:56:46

homefarm And why is that?

homefarm Fri 24-Sep-21 12:39:02

What a sad bunch of people

minxie Fri 24-Sep-21 12:36:44

I’m scared of dogs but don’t hate them, but I love cats, (not pests) there is no need to be horrible about them. There are worse things to get het up about

4allweknow Fri 24-Sep-21 12:21:46

I have had dogs and cats but do prefer dogs. There is a 17 year old cat with poor sight and is deaf who visits a lot of houses roundabout. He just wanders in if the door is open but my DH, not being exposed to cats for some time now has an allergic reaction if near one so we have to keep the visitor outside. Very difficult not to feed him when he sits staring in.