Gransnet forums

Chat

I have never been drunk in my life, is this unusual?

(138 Posts)
Kandinsky Sat 25-Sep-21 16:14:01

Just a random question for a Saturday.

Have you ever had one too many? grin

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 27-Sep-21 16:22:17

When I was a child I recall asking mum what it felt like to be drunk and she said that it was like your head was spinning round - I wasn't sure I wanted to feel like that.

I've only been drunk a couple of times which was when I was young and lacked confidence. I'm perfectly capable of having a good time without what has become for many a crutch and I can't understand why anyone would willingly put themselves in a vulnerable position where they can be taken advantage of. Getting drunk is perhaps a rite of passage for many while growing up and it's sad that it can become a habit for all manner of reasons.

A young man once told me that he never got drunk as he believed that he was 'obnoxious enough when he was sober'. If anyone asks me why I don't overindulge I say the same and it usually shuts them up.

Retired65 Mon 27-Sep-21 16:14:24

I have never been drunk in my life. If I have two small glasses of wine I either became a bit giggly or I want to go to sleep

MayBee70 Mon 27-Sep-21 16:13:53

How can anyone miss out on the joy of feeling that someone is hitting you over the head with a hammer after getting drunk on barley wine (recommended as a way of getting drunk cheaply). Don’t get me started on scrumpy. Even now I can’t drink even the gentlest of ciders.50 years on and it’s still my main memory of camping in Cornwall.

Elvis58 Mon 27-Sep-21 16:08:35

Yes in my youth terrible hangovers, merry nowadays if l drink.Over 40 years since l was really ill.l once stopped drinking for 15 years after one bad episode.l can take it or leave it,l mostly leave it.

cannotbelieveiamaskingthis208 Mon 27-Sep-21 16:06:26

As a young woman I drank way more than I should have more times than I would like to admit. Most of the experiences were a ton of fun. However, after a while I did realize that they only times I have really done (or said) anything truly stupid was when alcohol was involved. I then went onto have 5 children in less that 4 years so who had the time?? Now I drink very little.

Kali2 Mon 27-Sep-21 15:56:25

Many times when I was younger- and VERY rare now, and just a bit tipsy as we hardly drink at home, so I have to be careful when we go out as I am not used to it.

I worry for our children in their 30s to 50s- as for them over-drinking is the norm, and they don't see it as a problem. Never ever drunk, but drink far over the weekly limit and a bottle of vino every night is 'normal'.

Yammy Mon 27-Sep-21 15:52:36

Only badly three times in my life. Once on a Saturday evening near Christmas, we were feeling down as DH was working Christmas. He brought a bottle of Southern Comfort and we drank it between us. I vomited all the way upstairs, tripped in the bathroom and pulled the towel rail off the wall, couldn't remember Sunday and had to make an excuse to work on Monday. .
I once bought what I thought was a good bottle of port, to be told I had been conned so I drank the lot myself in a tumbler and had to spend the night hanging in the rescue position on a settee with a bucket.
The last was a Christmas day when DH got called into work we sat down to Christmas dinner very late the DD's was still opening presents one had got a room fragrance from MIL. Again of to bed. When MIL phoned and asked to wish me a Merry Christmas DD replied "No she's gone to bed with a bucket".I had only had two glasses.
Still can't drink, I'm cheap to run and buckets seem to have played a large part in my life.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 27-Sep-21 15:23:06

I haven’t been really drunk since my 21st. There was champagne on my desk as soon as I arrived at work, then we went to the pub where I had around a dozen vodkas. Back to work where I lay down on someone’s new coat and was sick. My sister (she and her boyfriend appeared out of nowhere) rang my dad and he came and picked me up. I was sick out of the car window all the way home and I don’t remember the rest. I can’t bear the smell of vodka, even over four decades on. Now, I occasionally get tipsy, but I never ever suffer hangovers!

HannahLoisLuke Mon 27-Sep-21 15:09:07

Only twice in my life and I was very embarrassed about it. I’ve been teetotal for thirty years since my last pregnancy and don’t miss it one bit.
I do find people who’ve had a bit too much rather embarrassing, especially when they’re slurring and getting over affectionate.

Shinamae Mon 27-Sep-21 15:08:02

grandtanteJE65

When I was in my twenties and going to wild parties (that was in the 1970s) I did sometimes get drunk, although I have never been incapable.

I never liked the feeling while drunk, and even less while hung-over, so I learned my limitations and have not been drunk since.

I have no idea how usual or unusual this is. I have known strict Presbyterians, Methodists, Quakers and Muslims who never drank, so we are not alone.

My own experience plus that of watching friends and relations battling alcoholism leads me to warn others against "getting drunk just to try it" - it probably will not do you any harm, no-one becomes addicted to drink, as far as I know, by gettting drunk once, but why do something that deliberately will leave you out of control over your actions for a number of hours`? You might just do someting you bitterly regretted afterwards.

As a recovering alcoholic your last sentence resonated with me, so,so many times…And there was no “might”about it.. when I drank alcohol it was a given

Kryptonite Mon 27-Sep-21 14:11:16

Proud to say I've never been drunk. Seen too many idiots in that state. Nothing to recommend to me and not good to be so out of control. Quite dangerous actually.

Missiseff Mon 27-Sep-21 14:08:25

Lots of times. The last time being Saturday night at a friend's 60th wine

grandtanteJE65 Mon 27-Sep-21 13:52:04

When I was in my twenties and going to wild parties (that was in the 1970s) I did sometimes get drunk, although I have never been incapable.

I never liked the feeling while drunk, and even less while hung-over, so I learned my limitations and have not been drunk since.

I have no idea how usual or unusual this is. I have known strict Presbyterians, Methodists, Quakers and Muslims who never drank, so we are not alone.

My own experience plus that of watching friends and relations battling alcoholism leads me to warn others against "getting drunk just to try it" - it probably will not do you any harm, no-one becomes addicted to drink, as far as I know, by gettting drunk once, but why do something that deliberately will leave you out of control over your actions for a number of hours`? You might just do someting you bitterly regretted afterwards.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Mon 27-Sep-21 13:41:55

Oh my too many times to count in my younger days. Had some wild drunken times in Ibiza and in local nightspots. Can remember lots of them and they were great times. Not so often these days as don't enjoy drinking so much (rather have coffee) & don't really go out anywhere to drink.

Blondiescot Mon 27-Sep-21 13:25:51

M0nica

My response to not wanting a drink has always been just that 'No thank you I do not want a drink I would prefer a soft drink. If any one pressurises me I get bolshie intransigent.

My big problem at the moment is that since the sugar tax, soft drinks manufacturers have replaced much of the sugar in soft drinks with sweeteners. Unfortunately I can taste and smell these and the taste hangs in my mouth for hours, so I am finding that there are fewer and fewer soft drinks for me to choose from. I got caught out with a J2O last week I hadn't had one for ages. Asked for one, took a mouthful and nearly spat it out. I am getting sick of fizzy water.

I've only ever been drunk a handful of times in my life, and I haven't touched alcohol for years. However, I agree with M0nica that it can be hard to find a 'nice' soft drink which isn't full of artificial sweeteners, especially if you are out and about. I have found a couple of alcohol-free gins, which are quite nice though.

Daisend1 Mon 27-Sep-21 13:24:52

A few too many but enough to know when to stop before making a fool of myself by giving my version of 'I did it my way''

silversand12 Mon 27-Sep-21 13:18:56

I've never even drunk! I just don't like the taste, and I never got into the social culture...so I've definitely never been drunk smile

homefarm Mon 27-Sep-21 13:12:23

No never been drunk. I do not drink at all. tastes absolutely vile and a total waste of money.

Shirlb Mon 27-Sep-21 12:52:08

Getting drunk is overrated lol horrible feeling next day and then there’s the parts you can’t remember if you done anything embarrassing ?

Petera Mon 27-Sep-21 12:42:47

I've been drunk but I don't go through the "I'm feeling good" phase I go straight to the "I feel ill" phase, so it only ever happens by accident.

A doctor friend told me this is a thing.

Yellowmellow Mon 27-Sep-21 12:39:10

Me neither. I get migraine and even a glass puts me in bed. Actually don't like the taste of alcohol now

sazz1 Mon 27-Sep-21 12:36:42

Yes quite a few times when I was in my teens and twenties. I found it either makes me very sick or sends me asleep. I don't seem to liven up at all just get very tired.
Nowadays I drink occasionally when I fancy alcohol but don't have more than 2 or 3. Can't drink wine gives me stomach pains next day.

Musicgirl Mon 27-Sep-21 12:28:58

I have never been drunk. I don’t much like the taste of alcohol and only have a small glass of white wine very occasionally - think Christmas and Easter. I would far rather drink tea or coffee.

Moggycuddler Mon 27-Sep-21 12:27:50

Got drunk a few times in my 20s. Once I went out with a friend to a pub at lunch break at work - it was her birthday and we got carried away. Had brandy and babychams, a few in a very short space of time. Then went back to work very drunk and became very ill in the office, threw up and everything. Had to have a workmate take me home. I thought I'd get fired, but I just got a little talking to and a warning. It was horrible and so embarassing though. Never did it again. More or less stopped drinking in my 30s. My limit is one glass of mulled wine at Christmas now.

GardenofEngland Mon 27-Sep-21 12:12:39

Too embarrassed to answer! But been sober now for over 400 days...have to keep my tally so I keep it in my mind. This Naked Mind by Annie Grace saved me and I have never looked back!