Gransnet forums

Chat

I have never been drunk in my life, is this unusual?

(137 Posts)
grandMattie Sat 25-Sep-21 16:41:57

And don’t forget the little ditty by Dorothy Parker:

I like to drink if I’m able
One or two at most;
Three I under the table;
Four, I’m under the host!
?????

grandMattie Sat 25-Sep-21 16:39:51

Me neither. But I have been tipsy on many an occasion. Is there a difference.
It was common in our expat milieu to drink like fish, but I’ve never liked the loss of control. Added to which, my father was an alcoholic, though no one called it that then…

MerylStreep Sat 25-Sep-21 16:39:22

Too many to mention or even remember. The first I suppose I must have been about 17. The last, my birthday at the beginning of this month. The champers was going down too nicely ? and then I went onto G&Ts. ??‍♀️
My OH knew which way the wind was blowing when I put on all the old sentimental music.

grannyactivist Sat 25-Sep-21 16:30:25

I was teetotal until my late forties and then, until very recently, I had a strict ‘one glass’ limit with a meal. Since I turned sixty I am much more relaxed and will have an occasional glass of wine when I’m cooking and enjoy a cocktail or a liqueur.

I grew up in a household where alcohol caused my life to be a misery so being drunk has always been anathema to me.

Nonogran Sat 25-Sep-21 16:27:50

A tad tipsy & happy but never drunk. Only when I was a lot younger. Don’t like the taste of alcohol now so never drink it in any shape or form.
Don’t feel I missed or indeed miss anything now.

Sara1954 Sat 25-Sep-21 16:27:08

Oh I’m afraid so, not recently, but on many occasions over the years, the best of times, and the worst of times!

62Granny Sat 25-Sep-21 16:22:17

Merry but not drunk so that I loose control of memory of what I done or said. I would hate to loose control like that.

crazyH Sat 25-Sep-21 16:20:46

Oh yes - a couple of times. I ‘over drink’ at family parties . My tongue loosens and can get / has got me into trouble. But hey, I can always blame it on the alcohol. Trust me, I only drink in a social situation, not when I’m on my own.

Kandinsky Sat 25-Sep-21 16:19:20

Very tempted!

It’s on my ‘20 things to do before I die’ list.

Galaxy Sat 25-Sep-21 16:18:38

Yes I have been very drunk many times, some good, some not.

Scones Sat 25-Sep-21 16:16:20

I don't know if it's unusual. I have had one too many too many times. I've had some amazing times when I've had one too many and some times I'd rather forget.

Aren't you tempted to get drunk just once to see what it's like?

Kandinsky Sat 25-Sep-21 16:14:01

Just a random question for a Saturday.

Have you ever had one too many? grin