Gransnet forums

Chat

Cardigans ...longer ones not in fashion this year

(74 Posts)
seacliff Thu 30-Sep-21 12:30:37

Just a little rant as fashion yet again is not for me this autumn. I always like to get a new cardigan or two each autumn. Being a bigger lady and on a budget, I used to get ones easily from supermarkets. I like chunky knit, marl or cable, coming just below my bottom but not knee length. Would love some in deep warm colours like teal, mustard, pink. Not all navy and grey.

Many this year are short and boxy, sadly not at all flattering on me. There are a few very basic ones in Bon Marche but they are boring.

I'd love something with a Scandinavian or Aztec pattern on cuffs for instance. I also like cardis with a slight shoulder pad, they look smarter.

Joe Brown have some interesting ones but was hoping to pay less than £45/£0. Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions? Can't knit my own though.

I still have a few old ones from Littlewoods, with lambswool, and even a very smart pure wool jacket style from C & A. . Wish I could time travel back and buy some more.

love0c Thu 30-Sep-21 18:13:20

I have three! I will still wear mine grin

seacliff Thu 30-Sep-21 18:27:11

Kitty....I'm sure my bottom is bigger grin. Those cropped ones look awful on me, and so do the knee length. Mid thigh is good for me. I like this www.marksandspencer.com/cotton-textured-ribbed-longline-cardigan/p/clp60507892?color=NAVYMIX&prevPage=srp#intid=prodColourId-60507893 and also www.jdwilliams.co.uk/shop/julipa-longline-boucle-cardigan/tu706/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=5010&optionColour=DUSTY%20GREEN&pdpClick=true&optionSize=20/22

LadyGracie Thu 30-Sep-21 21:52:57

I’ve looked with no success for a warm longer cardigan so I’ve decided to knit my own with 100% wool yarn.

If and when the lights and heat go off I’ll be ready!

Aveline Thu 30-Sep-21 22:04:13

Can't believe none of you have spotted the huge range of long cardigans at M&S. They even have virtually ankle length ones. I only saw them in passing but there were lots of them in a good variety of colours. I made a mental note to go back and look at them in more detail.

NotTooOld Thu 30-Sep-21 22:08:38

kittylester - that is very nice, especially the pink.

seacliff Thu 30-Sep-21 22:09:50

I want just mid thigh, long ones just too much for me.

SueDonim Thu 30-Sep-21 22:57:19

Aveline

Can't believe none of you have spotted the huge range of long cardigans at M&S. They even have virtually ankle length ones. I only saw them in passing but there were lots of them in a good variety of colours. I made a mental note to go back and look at them in more detail.

Ha, same thoughts here! I was in M&S on Tuesday and it was a sea of long cardigans. There was an entire section of long cardigans within their knitwear section and then various other areas such as their cashmere and Per Una also had their own versions. There were thick ones, thin ones, ones with pockets, ones with hoods, some had buttons, others didn’t. I was left wondering how many permutations they could come up with and I wasn’t even in the market for a long cardi! grin

Callistemon Thu 30-Sep-21 23:06:24

I have a few long cardigans but one cardigan I bought last autumn I've never worn.
It's a bit shorter than usual and shorter than many of my tops, so just doesn't look right.

seacliff Fri 01-Oct-21 08:29:07

I haven't been shopping in high Street since before lock down, can't walk much, so I'm obviously missing out doing online only.

MayBeMaw Fri 01-Oct-21 09:13:21

seacliff

I want just mid thigh, long ones just too much for me.

These from M&S look to be mid thigh or you could look at Woolovers, this last was in their Clearance

TheMaggiejane1 Fri 01-Oct-21 15:29:43

There’s a good internet company called highstreetoutlet.com which usually has excellent cardigans and jumpers (as well as lots of other clothes) at excellent prices. I’ve always been really pleased with everything I’ve bought there.

nadateturbe Fri 01-Oct-21 20:31:18

Charleygirl5

I bought a beautiful one in M&S for £35. I would have preferred more wool, only 5% and less cotton and polyester. It is not too long for me- I hate when they are near my knees. It comes in 4 colours and I may buy the navy marl as I like this one so much.
Have a look online, they do have a large selection and at different prices.

I think I have bought the same navy marl. Its not exciting but its well made comfortable and has pockets.

lemongrove Fri 01-Oct-21 20:44:10

I love longer cardigans ( am wearing one right now) a plum coloured cosy one which wraps right around my great bulk?

seacliff Fri 01-Oct-21 20:58:19

Great ideas, thanks everyone. I have seen some sites I never knew about.

Personally I prefer thicker more structured cardis on me, with a cable twist or something. The finer knits can cling a bit and aren't so flattering on me. I found a lovely Ochre boucle one in Next but max size was XL which with that make is a 16! www.next.co.uk/style/ls242572/L40867#L40867x

I will probably go for one or two from J D Williams and M & S..

Callistemon Sun 03-Oct-21 12:39:08

I bought a couple of long cardigans during lockdown from White Stuff and must say that the quality is far inferior to anything I've bought from there in the past.

It's an acrylic/wool/ alpaca/nylon mix and it scratches and itches my arms and when I got very wet the other day (rain soaked through my Joules supposed waterproof mac), I was left with navy blue hairy arms as the fibres from the cardigan got damp and shed on to me.

Nothing seems to be good quality any more.

Casdon Sun 03-Oct-21 13:43:29

For quality, I really rate Celtic &Co, their stuff is always lovely, and it lasts for years. They have some beautiful long cardigans - but at £120 or so they aren’t cheap. The Sale is always worth looking at in the new year.

Callistemon Sun 03-Oct-21 17:58:19

Thanks Casdon

I've given up on Woolovers too.

Blondiescot Sun 03-Oct-21 18:07:39

Primark had loads!

nadateturbe Sun 03-Oct-21 18:21:05

I agree Callistemon. I returned 3 sweaters to White Stuff and had a lot of hassle to get refunds. Very bad service compared to previous.

Callistemon Sun 03-Oct-21 19:58:39

A linen t shirt I liked got a holes after a couple of washes and the shop ordered a replacement as they were out of stock and were very apologetic. The same thing happened again - couldn't be bothered any more but it has made lovely dusters.

Woolovers are not at all helpful, blaming the customer even if washing instructions were faithfully followed. Made in China rubbish and not cheap.
I would avoid them.

Callistemon Sun 03-Oct-21 19:59:00

T shirt was White Stuff, btw.

nadateturbe Sun 03-Oct-21 21:45:04

I ordered a grey patterned sweater, size 10. Too big. Ordered size 8. Totally different sweater sent. Returned both and reordered grey size 8. Arrived. Seam ripped as soon as I wore. After lot of hassle which included sending photos of Hermes receipts finally got refunds. Never again. I can understand you losing patience Callistemon. Thanks for heads up on Woolover.

nadateturbe Sun 03-Oct-21 21:55:05

Charleygirl forgot to say it also has buttons. So many don't. I can't see the point of warm cardis that don't have buttons.

Callistemon Mon 04-Oct-21 10:51:55

Callistemon. Thanks for heads up on Woolover.

Other posters seem quite happy with them but I posted two sweaters back with photos of my washing machine and the cycle I used with Woolite, exactly as recommended. The labels said to machine, not hand, wash. One shrunk to half size and the other shrunk and went matted.
They said it must be my fault and had the cheek to send the shrunken sweaters back.

Josianne Mon 04-Oct-21 11:10:19

Another grrrr for Woolovers.
I ordered a jumper a week ago, the money was taken, but now they are saying they won't be despatched until 4th November. I actually need it for half term. They should have a system like John Lewis where it is impossible to place an order if the item is NOT in stock. Not happy.