Gransnet forums

Chat

Cardigans ...longer ones not in fashion this year

(74 Posts)
seacliff Thu 30-Sep-21 12:30:37

Just a little rant as fashion yet again is not for me this autumn. I always like to get a new cardigan or two each autumn. Being a bigger lady and on a budget, I used to get ones easily from supermarkets. I like chunky knit, marl or cable, coming just below my bottom but not knee length. Would love some in deep warm colours like teal, mustard, pink. Not all navy and grey.

Many this year are short and boxy, sadly not at all flattering on me. There are a few very basic ones in Bon Marche but they are boring.

I'd love something with a Scandinavian or Aztec pattern on cuffs for instance. I also like cardis with a slight shoulder pad, they look smarter.

Joe Brown have some interesting ones but was hoping to pay less than £45/£0. Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions? Can't knit my own though.

I still have a few old ones from Littlewoods, with lambswool, and even a very smart pure wool jacket style from C & A. . Wish I could time travel back and buy some more.

nadateturbe Mon 04-Oct-21 12:42:30

Sent back! I'm sure you were speechless. Very bad service. I would never shop from a company that would do that.

Callistemon Mon 04-Oct-21 14:27:13

They did send a £20 voucher but I don't want anything else so months later it remains unspent!

I think the quality of their goods used to be better when they started out but no longer.
It's not just me - beware:
www.reviews.io/company-reviews/store/woolovers

Josianne Mon 04-Oct-21 14:41:11

Callistemon

They did send a £20 voucher but I don't want anything else so months later it remains unspent!

I think the quality of their goods used to be better when they started out but no longer.
It's not just me - beware:
www.reviews.io/company-reviews/store/woolovers

Oh no, now you tell me! I might cancel the elusive jumper after all.

Callistemon Mon 04-Oct-21 14:44:16

Oh dear, t might be fine.
I know someone who had a similar jumper to me and she ignored their washing instructions and swished it around in the sink in very cool water.

Woolovers said it was my fault because I had "Spun the garments for too long and too fast".
I used the machine programme they recommended!

Josianne Mon 04-Oct-21 14:51:27

Do you have a variable temp and spin speed on your machine? I'm guessing I could try the hand wash at 20 degrees or even cold. The spin I could take down to 400.

Callistemon Mon 04-Oct-21 14:56:53

Yes, I spun it at 600 or 800 rpm as far as I remember. Labels said wash at 30C so I did.
Dried on an airing rack.

A M&S fine merino wool jumper washed exactly the same is as good as new.

Jaxjacky Mon 04-Oct-21 15:40:04

After a previous thread I started, specifically on long cardigans with buttons I’ve two, one from M&S and one Cotton Traders, happy with both.

seacliff Mon 04-Oct-21 23:17:38

tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Grey-Contrast-Diamond-Pattern-Coatigan/139398869-MultiColoured. I just found this, a bit different

seacliff Mon 04-Oct-21 23:21:09

Sorry link not working, it's a patterned coatigan from Tu £25

nadateturbe Tue 05-Oct-21 05:53:15

Found it. Very colourful.. Seemed to be reduced.
I had a further look and Sainsbury have a good range of cardigans.

Hetty58 Tue 05-Oct-21 06:47:36

There's plenty here:

highstreetoutlet.com/collections/clothing-knitwear-cardigans

Josianne Tue 05-Oct-21 07:23:03

Regarding Woolovers, I spoke to a nice customer services lady and she explained they have now added a little red "out of stock" warning when you select an unavailable item. Apparently they were having issues with the website and it definitely didn't show up when I ordered.
When the goods arrive with them, they allow two weeks to quality check before sending out.

seacliff Tue 05-Oct-21 08:19:29

This is the one I've seen, will see what it's like in real life.

seacliff Tue 05-Oct-21 08:21:25

Thanks Hetty. I am not sure what the quality will be like, not sure who makes them (probably China like many products now) have you ordered from them? yourself

nadateturbe Tue 05-Oct-21 08:42:00

Thats different to the one I looked it. Its actually nicer. Lovely cardi.

Hetty58 Tue 05-Oct-21 08:49:24

seacliff, they're excess stock from high street brands. On the website, look under 'brands' - and 'famous uk store' is, in fact, M&S. I've had some lovely stuff from them!

seacliff Wed 06-Oct-21 16:23:44

Thanks Hetty, good to know.

I have just found a second one in Tu, hope I like them when I collect.

Roodyboy Mon 16-May-22 09:01:45

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MawtheMerrier Mon 16-May-22 09:37:43

That’s a bit of an irrelevant, dismissive , not to say silly observation.

Witzend Mon 16-May-22 11:15:11

Thanks for this thread, seacliff - I just found and ordered a longline one in ‘dark khaki’ (looks more like dark green to me) from M&S. And not before time, my old favourite is getting decidedly scruffy.

sodapop Mon 16-May-22 12:23:59

Another resurrected thread.

Esmay Mon 16-May-22 13:40:58

Hi Seacliff ,

Have you looked at Yours ?
Plainer than you wanted ,but you could customise .
I sometimes add some applique ,embroidery even tiny beads .
Good Luck !

Esmay Mon 16-May-22 13:43:37

Sorry.
Old thread.
Why did it come up ?