Gransnet forums

Chat

does any one know where we can purchase tinned chocolates

(33 Posts)
infoman Wed 06-Oct-21 06:13:08

It seems that all the major supermarkets have turned to plastic tubs of chocolates.
Although I know a couple of years ago John Lewis had a pick what you like favourite chocolates which came with a metal tin.
Any info most wellcome

grannyqueenie Wed 06-Oct-21 06:23:07

Think JL are doing it again this year.

FannyCornforth Wed 06-Oct-21 06:29:59

Roses chocolates are available in a lovely Cath Kidston tin. Unfortunately they are quite difficult to come by.
I’ve managed to get one from Ocado. (£9.99)
I think that Morrison’s also sell them.

Pirate Wed 06-Oct-21 07:13:43

I have seen tinned chocolates are available at Sainsbury's when I have been placing my online order, they are in the Christmas is coming section.

Justwidowed Wed 06-Oct-21 07:34:41

Tinned Quality Street 900 gram £7 in Iceland ,saw them on Monday in Preston .Available on web site as well .Hope that helps.

VioletSky Wed 06-Oct-21 07:51:49

I quite often sees metal ones but they are always more expensive. I have several old plastic tubs because I don't want to pollute with them, refil bags would be better

rosie1959 Wed 06-Oct-21 08:03:02

I believe Tesco has tinned Quality Street on offer at £5 if you have a club card about to do my weekly shop this morning so haven't had a good look. Mind you no point buying any yet unless I hide them

toscalily Wed 06-Oct-21 10:39:18

I was in B&M yesterday and noticed they had After Eight mints in a tin, also some other chocolates but can't remember which.

TerriBull Wed 06-Oct-21 10:45:56

Lots of them in store at Sainsburys when I was there yesterday.

Early Wed 06-Oct-21 11:23:36

I don't eat animal products so don't eat Roses or Quality Street but occasionally, people who don't know that, will wave a plastic tub under my nose. Is it my senstitve nose or do they smell unpleasantly chemical? I wonder if it's all the plastic wrappers "sweating" inside a sealed plastic tub or something in the chocolate and fillings? I don't recall this smell coming from tins.

Elless Wed 06-Oct-21 11:38:08

Garden Centres (which are more like gift centres these days) usually have some nice things especially around Christmas.

Spinnaker Wed 06-Oct-21 12:15:20

Farm Foods have Quality Street in store - £14.99 for the big deep tin, total 2kg.

infoman Tue 12-Oct-21 13:54:31

Thank you for your replys,
can't locate any tinned chocolates at any of the large supermarkets.
Although John Lewis is doing tinned chocolates,
and you can use your old tinned chocolate tins.

Franbern Wed 13-Oct-21 14:21:10

rosie1959

I believe Tesco has tinned Quality Street on offer at £5 if you have a club card about to do my weekly shop this morning so haven't had a good look. Mind you no point buying any yet unless I hide them

Unfortunately these tubs are not TINS, but plastic

Baggs Wed 13-Oct-21 14:59:12

Early

I don't eat animal products so don't eat Roses or Quality Street but occasionally, people who don't know that, will wave a plastic tub under my nose. Is it my senstitve nose or do they smell unpleasantly chemical? I wonder if it's all the plastic wrappers "sweating" inside a sealed plastic tub or something in the chocolate and fillings? I don't recall this smell coming from tins.

MrB maintains that since ¿Kraft? bought up Cadbury's, palm oil is being used instead of cocoa butter, at least in part. Certainly the last time I ate any I found them (a) far too sweet and (b) unchocolatey

Just out of interest, Early, what animal products would you expect to find in chocolates?

Baggs Wed 13-Oct-21 14:59:56

Oh wait! Milk of course. Silly me.

rosie1959 Wed 13-Oct-21 15:18:34

Thanks Franburn looks shiny in the picture like tin. I had one last year.
I have one on order will be here later will confirm whether tin or plastic

rosie1959 Wed 13-Oct-21 16:22:27

Franbern definitely a tin now to hide it up or no chance of lasting very long

NotAGran55 Fri 15-Oct-21 20:52:34

In Waitrose today they had tins, not plastic tubs, of Roses Quality Street , Heroes and Lindor .

infoman Tue 26-Oct-21 06:12:16

Made a trip to Waitrose and wonderful to see TINS of chocolates,not to mention the deli counter with fresh cheese and other meat items.

Michael12 Tue 26-Oct-21 06:17:48

The only tinned sweets , I have brought when visiting Harrogate is Harrogate Toffee , which have various size tins etc
Mick

BlueSapphire Tue 26-Oct-21 07:17:29

I find the plastic tubs are handy for freezing mince pies, sausage rolls, cakes etc and transporting said items to family or other places.

Calmlocket Tue 26-Oct-21 07:31:57

www.highlandchocolatier.com/keepsake-gift-tins-c-30

H1954 Tue 26-Oct-21 07:39:04

Tesco certainly have them. My OH went shopping on his own just last week and came back with a tin of Quality Street.

I do find tinned confectionary more reminiscent of my childhood too; our parents used to buy one of the large tins of Quality Street, finances allowing of course, and I recall many a Christmas morning finding a tin of Bluebird Toffee in my stocking......well, pillow case in those days!

Sarnia Tue 26-Oct-21 09:18:27

Tesco have a tin of Cadbury's chocolates on display. I am not sure whether they are individual or bars of chocolate.