Gransnet forums

Chat

Problem with dog

(73 Posts)
Littleannie Thu 07-Oct-21 16:02:10

We live in a bungalow in a small cul-de-sac, with our bedrooms at the front. All the gardens are open plan. Every few days we find a pile of dog poo on our lawn. There are no stray dogs about, so an irresponsible owner must be bringing their dog onto our lawn. We just can't catch them doing it, as they must be coming after dark, or very early in the morning. Short of standing at the bedroom window for hours we don't see how we can catch them.
Has anybody an idea of how to stop it? We can't afford expensive deterrents.

NannieAnnie64 Sun 10-Oct-21 18:19:52

Get a wildlife camera that points at your lawn. They can be easily camouflaged in a bush and go off when sensor is triggered. We got some and the film is excellent

Littleannie Sun 10-Oct-21 10:04:50

Lynnenana- I am most offended by your suggestion that I would hurt the dog. Anyway, if you had bothered to read the posts properly, you would see that we have established that the most likely culprit is a fox. And no, I wouldn't hurt a fox either.

Lynnenana Sun 10-Oct-21 08:18:06

Please don’t spray or hurt the dog. It’s cruel and not it’s fault. Follow it home and put the poo on the step.

Ro60 Sun 10-Oct-21 01:51:15

Just another thought before you blame your neighbours - it could be a fox. This is the problem we have here.

Cymres1 Sat 09-Oct-21 21:20:27

We had a rat problem last year for the first time in 33 years here, got a tip from a friend, the mix of talcum powder and extra hot chilli powder finally did the trick. Not seen a sign of them now life has started up again, but it was a cheap but effective way to keep them away.. Might be worth a try, got a kilo bag for around £6 or £7. Only needed a little bit. A tiny sprinkle might be enough to put the dog off. Hope so, owners like that give other dog lovers a bad name.

MamaCaz Sat 09-Oct-21 19:30:39

Teacheranne

Pepper might be your cheapest option, together with a sign for the owner.

There was a lump of poo on my back lawn today and I assumed it was a fox but my decorator said it was from a badger! I’ve seen foxes at night but not badgers so I must keep an eye out.

My front garden is open plan and we are not allowed to put up fences but I’ve planted prickly hedges all along my boundaries which seems to deter people and dogs wandering over the lawn - but was not cheap!

Fox sounds more likely.

All the badger poo that I see around us (and we are surrounded by badgers) tends to be in shallow, open holes. It's very rural here though, so I suppose it is possible that they might have different habits in less rural areas.

I think you would soon know if badgers regularly visited your garden - they can quickly do a lot of damage with their scratching in search of food!

But they say that getting a man to wee around the perimeter will deter them. It might deter your neighbours too, though grin

Shizam Sat 09-Oct-21 18:56:45

I had something, assuming a fox, leave a poo on top of wheelie bin. ? Guess it was a dirty protest when it couldn’t burgle the bin! Paw prints all over bonnet of car. Too big to be a cat.

25Avalon Sat 09-Oct-21 17:03:13

It is not deer. Their poo looks nothing like dog poo. It is more like sheep. Deer are always in my garden eating everything.

Hammo Sat 09-Oct-21 17:00:46

I think it has been mentioned earlier - but could you just stay up one night and watch! Leap up and say to the dog owner ‘ sorry old chap - not on my patch …. or something similar !!

coastalgran Sat 09-Oct-21 16:50:55

It may be that someone is letting their dog out at night without supervision or on a lead. Do you know who in the cul-de-sac has a dog or do your nearest neighbours have a dog and mention having found the offending poo and the clearing up of it to them, see what happens after that, it may be that the chat is enough to deter the owner.

Granny1810 Sat 09-Oct-21 16:00:00

It could also be deer. They are quite common now.

Fridayschild Sat 09-Oct-21 15:56:13

Some dog owners don’t seem to care where their dogs do their business. In our last house we had a strip of grass outside our wall which frequently had dog poo left by irresponsible owners. I caught one in the act one day and challenged the owner who scurried away without replying. If we didn’t see the poo then it ended up in our lawnmower! ?
A neighbour where we now live was plagued by a nearby dog that was let out on its own. She eventually picked its poo up on a shovel and deposited it on their doorstep. That seemed to stop them, but of course she knew where they lived.
It’s these type of dog owners that give everyone a bad name.?

greenlady102 Sat 09-Oct-21 14:43:32

Littleannie

Thank you for your suggestions. I did explain that we can't afford expensive deterrents. I think calling in electricians and buying lights, fencing, CCTV cameras etc. would be too expensive.

battery or solar motion lights on amazon are cheap as chips. www.amazon.co.uk/s?rnid=1642204031&ref=sr_nr_n_1&crid=2PU0F89WELMN7&sprefix=solatr+%2Caps%2C170&rh=n%3A10709361&k=solar+security+lights+outdoor+motion+sensor&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1633786954&dc

WendyBT Sat 09-Oct-21 14:33:06

Are you sure it isn't fox poo?

sundowngirl Sat 09-Oct-21 12:38:02

H1954

I have a sonic animal scarer in my garden. The settings range from small mammals to larger one, foxes dogs etc.
I bought this because I was fed up of having to clear up cat poo.
It's battery operated but has a small solar panel on the top. My grandkids can hear it and several work men have said they can too. Best £26 I ever spent, not had a cat in the garden since. If it offends any dog walkers, that's just too bad

Hi H1954 Would it be possible to let me know the make/model of your sonic animal scarer. I've looked on Amazon and the ones with the better ratings seem to have reviews about different products giving a false impression that the product is excellent. It would be good to get a real recommendation. Thanks

Mallin Sat 09-Oct-21 12:24:21

I had this problem some years ago and an elderly neighbour turned up with a box of white powder which he sprinkled all across my grass. Said he’d seen it advertised in a garden centre he visited as being guaranteed to stop all dogs and similar animals from making deposits in gardens. Have no memory of products name, but perhaps a free afternoon meandering about a large garden centre might let you come across a similar product. From daily experience though, I can tell you that
Canadian Geese and swans leave worse deposits than foxes and dogs. !!

Daisend1 Sat 09-Oct-21 12:14:39

Shop around as there are many inexpensive cameras you can have installed that will activate on any and every movement in the area the camera covers.

CarlyD7 Sat 09-Oct-21 12:09:42

PS in my experience, fox poo is usually well formed, blackish with a little point at the end. Cat's poo is very smelly (because they're true carnivores). Dog's can vary ...

CarlyD7 Sat 09-Oct-21 12:08:17

This reminds me of a BBC documentary I saw years ago on foxes where a lady had complained about a fox using her back garden as a toilet. The camera crew rigged up a night camera to catch reynard in the act, only to see next doors large cat drop a big one right in the middle of the lawn! In your place I would either borrow a night camera (they're usually activated by movement so that it will just record the animal itself) or sacrifice one night of sleep to make sure what's actually doing it (position yourself by a nearby window with a flask of coffee). Then you'll know if it's a dog, fox or cat, and then can decide what to do about it next?

Philippa111 Sat 09-Oct-21 12:07:36

Littleannie. Before you alienate your neighbours with signs etc I would take a photo of the poo and check online to see if it is fox poo. I have actually seen the foxes in my garden once when I was awake during the night. My burglar lights went on. They were amazing close up and looked so wild. The poo is not a welcome aspect. It seems to happen in bouts... I think they seek out food and if there isn't any ,after a while they move on.

blubber Sat 09-Oct-21 12:07:31

I put out a notice asking dog owners to pick up the poo but came home one day to find piles of poo on my back door step!

Linnie006 Sat 09-Oct-21 12:00:43

I would think it is most likely to be fox poo. Quite smelly usually!

Willow68 Sat 09-Oct-21 11:53:55

Hetty58

Willow68, don't use coffee grounds near dogs - poisonous!

Oh thank you!!! I had no idea and I do have a pup, good to know this…

Nell8 Sat 09-Oct-21 11:49:28

Hetty58 "I never realised that anyone would object to dog wee.."
The thing is my lounge window looks across the garden I love and that garden is part of my home. I feel my space is being invaded when random strangers make the decision to allow their dogs to use my home as a loo. Our neighbour opposite has the same problem (Our open plan front gardens face each other across a narrow footpath.) One of his trees developed a type of rot at a very localised area at the base and had to be felled. The tree surgeon told him that dog pee had contributed to the rot. Apparently once a dog marks a spot many others will follow.

I must say most owners keep their dogs on a tight lead as they walk through and I do appreciate that not having an obvious boundary is a problem. I think I need to get one of those twee little signs asking doggies to be nice to my garden! I am a dog lover, by the way wink

highlanddreams Sat 09-Oct-21 11:20:34

Hetty58

Nell8, I never realised that anyone would object to dog wee! I always bag the poop, though - and there's just no excuse not to.

Foxes tend to leave poop in an open place. Right now, it's full of blackberry seeds - on the outside door mat!

I save all the orange peels and rip them into tiny pieces to scatter outside. That definitely keeps cats away from the flowerbeds - but there's not enough to cover the lawn.

the reason people object to dog wee is because it burns the lawn, it smells strongly and attracts other to come and pee there too