Gransnet forums

Chat

Problem with dog

(72 Posts)
Littleannie Thu 07-Oct-21 16:02:10

We live in a bungalow in a small cul-de-sac, with our bedrooms at the front. All the gardens are open plan. Every few days we find a pile of dog poo on our lawn. There are no stray dogs about, so an irresponsible owner must be bringing their dog onto our lawn. We just can't catch them doing it, as they must be coming after dark, or very early in the morning. Short of standing at the bedroom window for hours we don't see how we can catch them.
Has anybody an idea of how to stop it? We can't afford expensive deterrents.

nexus63 Thu 07-Oct-21 16:11:06

you could put up a small camera or a light that goes on when someone comes into your part of the garden, also look online for things that dogs do not like the smell of. i live in a small block of flats that has a back veranda drying area and it is also the fire escape so i could not block it off, a small dog was coming along and pooing, i sprayed it with vinegar and as the dog was small it got a little burnt bum with the vinegar, owner is young and just can't be bothered taking it out.

Granmarderby10 Thu 07-Oct-21 16:11:41

Beg or borrow a cctv camera, get some motion sensor lights, put fencing up. They say good fences make good neighbours ?

Nonogran Thu 07-Oct-21 16:20:42

I have a bright external light (not halogen) from a well known DIY shop/warehouse. It’s shaped like a lantern and sits flush to the wall. Local electrician installed it beside my front door. It has a wide spread of light which stays on for a couple of minutes. Passers by set it off as they walk through our culdesac towards a service lane at the rear. This might put off the offender?
There are some reasonably priced cameras too & the Ring doorbells are very good for capturing images. Look them up to research functionality.
Get a sign made “Please keep your dog off our grass” on a stake to hammer into the grass. Make the text big and clear enough fir all to read from a distance.

grannyactivist Thu 07-Oct-21 16:23:16

I think I would be inclined to put out a small board with a note to the effect that you would like the owner of the dog to take it elsewhere to do its business. Most people want an easy life, so knowing they've been rumbled will probably be all it takes to send them in another direction for their walkies.

H1954 Thu 07-Oct-21 16:31:28

I have a sonic animal scarer in my garden. The settings range from small mammals to larger one, foxes dogs etc.
I bought this because I was fed up of having to clear up cat poo.
It's battery operated but has a small solar panel on the top. My grandkids can hear it and several work men have said they can too. Best £26 I ever spent, not had a cat in the garden since. If it offends any dog walkers, that's just too bad

SusieB50 Thu 07-Oct-21 16:34:09

It could be fox poo although that does really smell! I have a fox that deposits a poo right in the middle of the path to the front door several times a week . I got my son to wee into a bottle and I poured it over the path . It seems to have worked so far .

NanaandGrampy Thu 07-Oct-21 17:07:29

I've had some success with pepper liberally sprinkled about. Dogs sniff extensively before doing their business and sniffing pepper is unpleasant but wont harm them.

Could make the dog look for less peppery place to poo.

Littleannie Thu 07-Oct-21 17:13:24

Thank you for your suggestions. I did explain that we can't afford expensive deterrents. I think calling in electricians and buying lights, fencing, CCTV cameras etc. would be too expensive.

Tizliz Thu 07-Oct-21 19:31:29

H1954

I have a sonic animal scarer in my garden. The settings range from small mammals to larger one, foxes dogs etc.
I bought this because I was fed up of having to clear up cat poo.
It's battery operated but has a small solar panel on the top. My grandkids can hear it and several work men have said they can too. Best £26 I ever spent, not had a cat in the garden since. If it offends any dog walkers, that's just too bad

We thought we had a strange bird in our garden for weeks before we realised it was the low battery warning on our sonic cat scarer ??

highlanddreams Thu 07-Oct-21 19:46:37

We used to have the same problem, when we first moved here there were 3 dogs from separate houses along the street that were let out early morning to to their business and as we were on the corner it seemed to be a favoured spot for them, complaints fell on deaf ears so we just had to fence it. We have a dog but always pick up after him and would never dream of letting him out on the loose, for his own safety never mind anything else. Just save hard and either fence it off or plant some hedging.

NfkDumpling Thu 07-Oct-21 20:17:55

Have a look at a Defenders Jet-Spray Wildlife Repeller on Amazon. £24.99. There's a cheaper one at £15 something, but this is the one we have. You fix it onto your hose pipe, turn the hose on a little and it sprays anything which walks within range. It only works when an animal (or grandchild) breaks the sonic beam. Works on a couple of batteries. Most entertaining!

dogsmother Thu 07-Oct-21 20:46:50

Definitely recommend a blink camera I got one from Amazon for the very same reason. It’s actually quite a comfort to see who’s been and goneduring the course of the day……..

dogsmother Thu 07-Oct-21 20:47:28

Meant to add it solved our problem too!!!

JaneJudge Thu 07-Oct-21 20:49:46

it sounds like you have a problem with a person really

Jane43 Thu 07-Oct-21 21:09:32

grannyactivist

I think I would be inclined to put out a small board with a note to the effect that you would like the owner of the dog to take it elsewhere to do its business. Most people want an easy life, so knowing they've been rumbled will probably be all it takes to send them in another direction for their walkies.

A neighbour of outs did this. After he put the notice up the fouling on his lawn stopped. It’s worth a try.

Hetty58 Thu 07-Oct-21 21:30:20

Littleannie, a lot of us have security cameras and Ring doorbells now - so have a look and see if a neighbour might have footage of the offender.

Our local neighbourhood forum has regular posts with photos of people not clearing up after dogs, criminals stealing from gardens or trying to break into cars - all very useful.

Redhead56 Thu 07-Oct-21 22:26:25

When we moved to our house with open plan gardens we noticed people walking their dogs on our grass. Straight away I insisted on a small fence whether open plan or not.
We have cctv and I also put a sign on the fence to bag it and take it home. We still get the odd drop but at least it is not on our garden. We have a dog and we are looking after our daughters dog at present. I would never let a dog poop and leave it we bag it every time but we are all different. My ideas might not be for you but I hope you find a solution to this very annoying problem.

Gwyneth Thu 07-Oct-21 22:32:18

The problem is the owner not the dog. It’s a pity the jet spray mentioned by one poster can’t spray the owner rather than the dog.

Teacheranne Thu 07-Oct-21 22:39:11

Pepper might be your cheapest option, together with a sign for the owner.

There was a lump of poo on my back lawn today and I assumed it was a fox but my decorator said it was from a badger! I’ve seen foxes at night but not badgers so I must keep an eye out.

My front garden is open plan and we are not allowed to put up fences but I’ve planted prickly hedges all along my boundaries which seems to deter people and dogs wandering over the lawn - but was not cheap!

Littleannie Fri 08-Oct-21 08:59:06

Thank you all for your suggestions. As we are open plan we are not allowed to put up a fence, so we will try the pepper first!

Nell8 Fri 08-Oct-21 09:19:54

You have my sympathy. Our front garden is open plan and owners let dogs cock their legs on our trees in broad daylight!
To add to the list of possible wildlife culprits - it's amazing how much a big hedgehog can produce and they do favour a nice garden lawn. When you've nothing better to do you can find pics on google to help identify different animal poos (sorry, hope you're not having breakfast).

25Avalon Fri 08-Oct-21 09:31:28

Cayenne pepper is the best pepper. Whatever pepper it will lose it’s scent after rain. It is so annoying when someone lets their dog do this. Do you have a council dog warden who could give advice or put a sign up in the street warning of fines?
Also have you asked your neighbours if they have noticed anyone walking a dog or letting it run off lead? It may be going in someone else’s garden when it is not in yours.

Littleannie Fri 08-Oct-21 10:04:14

Well, I have just found some in the middle of the drive on the paving stones. I am now wondering if it could be a fox, as SusieB50 suggested! I know there are foxes in the fields not too far away.

25Avalon Fri 08-Oct-21 10:08:36

Fox poo often has little orange bits in it, if that’s any help in id.