Gransnet forums

Chat

Keeping warm

(156 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 07-Oct-21 22:22:40

There was a lady interviewed on the news today who was very worried about the predicted rise in fuel bills - and I felt very sorry for her.

But I was perplexed by something she said about how awful it was that she had to wear a cardigan about the house. I cannot remember her exact words but it sounded as though she felt this was a cause for concern.

I can remember when I was still working I used to visit homes in the middle of the winter and people were dressed in T-shirts and I often thought about what their heating bills must be like. Their heating was turned up to a level where a T-shirt was sufficient.

When winter arrives, indoors I will be wearing: long-sleeved vest, long-sleeved polo neck, thick jumper, cardigan, and leggings under my jeans. I still have the heating on, but hopefully not as much or as high.

I think we will all need to accept the need to wear more layers indoors. I am lucky enough to be able to afford to pay my bills, so I do not share the anxiety that this poor woman had. But I suspect that there needs to be a change in how we heat our homes - some of the heat can come from clothes. It would also go towards saving the planet.

Land Thu 16-Jun-22 08:28:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Beautful Mon 20-Jun-22 09:31:50

I do wear extra clothing ... but ... sorry if shouldn't put this on this thread ... just phoned up my energy company to fix my price as I am on a flexible tariff I pay £140 ... my decision to put it up ... if I go on a fixed tariff would go up to £259.91 !!! I do now know how more people are really feeling !!! My flexible tariff is being reviewed in October ... disgraceful !

MawtheMerrier Mon 20-Jun-22 09:34:37

Let’s not complain about heatwaves then!
Pity we can’t bottle them ??? and save them for the colder weather!

Beautful Mon 20-Jun-22 09:41:43

MawtheMerrier
I agree entirely
People go on solar power ... have to pay lots for that ... then with the cost takes years back to reap the financial benefits ... if you know what I mean

karmalady Tue 21-Jun-22 06:41:47

layers from top to bottom, the weather even now is so erratic. I have spent spring and summer building up the layers in my wardrobe and drawers, coatigan, cardigans, shacket, tunics, sweatshirts as well as the usual polo and crew necks. Leggings, warm tights, hand made woollen socks. Thin jumpers, flannel and wool skirts. Dresses that can be layered. etc

Similar for my bedding, I have worked on layers for my bed and now have them ready in my airing cupboard. It has cost a lot over time but I have reached the sublime state of being finished. Wool all season duvets, welsh wool blankets, linen bedding, flannel bedding tucked away in a corner just in case, very thin woollen blankets.The temperatures vary so much day by day and right now I am sleeping under a linen sheet and one thin cellular woollen blanket