Gransnet forums

Chat

Keeping warm

(155 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 07-Oct-21 22:40:16

Maybe there could be a publicity campaign to "layer up" - it seems to have become more common not to do so.

Redhead56 Thu 07-Oct-21 22:37:46

I got my thermals thick tights woollen dresses and jumpers out last week all the summer dresses went away. I hate the cold but I don't like the heating on too much so I layer up.

Callistemon Thu 07-Oct-21 22:30:46

If I feel a bit chilly the first thing I do is put on a cardigan, not tweak up the thermostat.
I used to think everyone did that but apparently not - people have been on TV news for several years complaining about heating bills but wearing t-shirts in winter.

It would also go towards saving the planet.
Yes, I agree.

Now, where's the Damart catalogue?

ginny Thu 07-Oct-21 22:30:35

My thoughts were the same as yours.
If you are sitting down a blanket makes a big difference.

Luckygirl Thu 07-Oct-21 22:22:40

There was a lady interviewed on the news today who was very worried about the predicted rise in fuel bills - and I felt very sorry for her.

But I was perplexed by something she said about how awful it was that she had to wear a cardigan about the house. I cannot remember her exact words but it sounded as though she felt this was a cause for concern.

I can remember when I was still working I used to visit homes in the middle of the winter and people were dressed in T-shirts and I often thought about what their heating bills must be like. Their heating was turned up to a level where a T-shirt was sufficient.

When winter arrives, indoors I will be wearing: long-sleeved vest, long-sleeved polo neck, thick jumper, cardigan, and leggings under my jeans. I still have the heating on, but hopefully not as much or as high.

I think we will all need to accept the need to wear more layers indoors. I am lucky enough to be able to afford to pay my bills, so I do not share the anxiety that this poor woman had. But I suspect that there needs to be a change in how we heat our homes - some of the heat can come from clothes. It would also go towards saving the planet.