Gransnet forums

Chat

I Do Miss…..

(109 Posts)
Calendargirl Sun 10-Oct-21 10:28:21

Woolworths.

And before anyone says “Well, if only people had used it more”.

But I did.

Only this morning, made some tomato soup and blitzed it up with a hand held blender, bought from there for about a fiver.

The bedding on the spare bed is from there, the bath and hand towels in the bathroom also.

Reasonable prices, good quality, nearly always found a bargain when I went in.

The old store is now a B&M type store, very useful, but I still miss Woolies.

Jaxjacky Sun 10-Oct-21 14:53:05

sodapop I used to buy Ladybird clothes there for my children too.
We came across a few C&A shops in France, memories!
I miss Wimpey burger shops, they were a treat when out shopping…yawn…with Mum and Dad, came across on in Ryde a few years ago but didn’t try it out.

JaneJudge Sun 10-Oct-21 15:00:59

I miss Wimpy too. They have even closed the one in Lowestoft

Ladybird clothes were lovely, I really think they could have made more of the brand. They just had no money though did they? The American daughter took all the money out of it or something and then they had to rent all the stores at an extortionate rate.

I think the range is a bit like a bigger woolworths

Callistemon Sun 10-Oct-21 15:13:41

Auntieflo

Must concentrate more, me that is!

I read the OP title as in "I do miss"..... as in a classroom and speaking to a teacher.
Bring in Marydoll, now please.

I will now go off, drink my tea and apply myself to preparing the meal for later on.

That's how I read it too, Auntieflo!
I shall join you in the corner, hands on our heads, for the whole thread grin

I do miss Woolies and the variety of goods they sold. Ladybird children's clothes always seemed to be good quality.

Wilko is good but doesn't sell the range as it's mainly hardware, gardening and toiletries.
The Factory Shop is ok as a replacement but it's just not the same.

The staff in our local Woolies were lovely, too.

Callistemon Sun 10-Oct-21 15:15:15

Parsley3

I think of Home Bargains as the new Woolworths. It is especially good for gardening things. I miss BHS as I bought nice towels from there.

I got some lovely towels from Dunelm.

Callistemon Sun 10-Oct-21 15:19:48

There was a superb one in Düsseldorf when we lived there, with an amazing Ski / Winter sports section.
TillyTrotter I bought DD her ski wear from the one in Cardiff when she went to work in Switzerland, all excellent quality.

tanith Sun 10-Oct-21 15:24:57

There are still quite a few Wimpys about.

JaneJudge Sun 10-Oct-21 15:25:22

Marydoll was posting yesterday smile

I like the factory outlet shop too but they seems thin on the ground near me anyway.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 10-Oct-21 15:35:11

We have a Wimpy within 10 minutes walk from us.

I really miss Top Shop as their jeans fitted me to perfection and they always had a good selection of sweaters and shirts (a bit different from the norm)

Auntieflo Sun 10-Oct-21 15:45:09

Just come back. Hands off head now, due to drinking tea.
Thank goodness Callistemon, that I'm not the only mad one in the bunch.

Amberone Sun 10-Oct-21 15:48:00

Woolies used to be my go-to store for almost anything house related, especially all those little things it was hard to get elsewhere. C&A was the first place I looked for lighting. Now I buy most lighting online, sadly. Most of all I miss them all being in town on the high street. Wilco is okay but a lot of them (like our nearest one) are quite small.

Woolies was where I did most of my food shopping in Sydney - not like here, more like Sainsbury, with masses of food choices including fresh fruit and veg, and meat and deli counters.

threexnanny Sun 10-Oct-21 15:56:11

Once the Woolies closed in our rural towns there wasn't anything similar replacing them so there's no where to just browse now.

Severnsider Sun 10-Oct-21 16:06:46

I think we're all going to miss Debenhams. It was such a BIG store, it was fun just wandering around all the floors, I wonder what's going to happen to all the premises.

tanith Sun 10-Oct-21 16:07:42

C & A Modes never sold lighting to my knowledge only clothes.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 10-Oct-21 16:19:52

My nearest Woolies was what my mother called ‘rough’ so we never shopped there! But BHS were excellent for lighting. They also sold raspberry ruffle chocolates, which I now buy from Amazon. I used to love Laura Ashley before they were taken over after LA herself and then her husband died. The sales were brilliant. Boswell in Oxford recently closed - I think they are going to be transformed into a hotel. They had a very good kitchen department and I used to take my children to buy marbles from the toy section.

Daisend1 Sun 10-Oct-21 16:48:38

Woolworths seemed to sell everything and where I bought my Friday night is Amami night and Evening in Paris perfume , .I look back at what I spend now in comparison hmm to those years

Amberone Sun 10-Oct-21 17:20:12

tanith

C & A Modes never sold lighting to my knowledge only clothes.

tanith - you're quite right - I meant BHS for lighting - BHS actually moved into where our C&A used to be but that's no excuse ?

I was actually wearing a jumper last Friday that I bought in C&A about 30 years ago. I did go some years not wearing it then found it in a cupboard with a bunch of other things I had stopped wearing it and still liked it and it still looks good. Think maybe it's time to consign it to the bin though ?

tanith Sun 10-Oct-21 17:53:56

No worries Amberone we’ve done it. Well done with keeping that sweater for that long.

DanniRae Sun 10-Oct-21 18:59:49

Do you remember the jewellery store that closed because it's owner said that the stuff in his shops was rubbish? Foot in mouth syndrome for sure! grin

Calendargirl Sun 10-Oct-21 19:03:29

Ratners DanniRae

The boss was Gerald Ratner.

tinaf1 Sun 10-Oct-21 19:03:52

I miss Woolworths too , used to have Saturday and school holiday job there in Poplar London. Drapery counter Saturday and pick & mix school holidays.
Was just reminiscing with my granddaughter yesterday about it she is trying out for her first Saturday job next week, fingers crossed ?

VioletSky Sun 10-Oct-21 19:12:43

I used to love Woolworths, it was always a little but of everything and an interesting shop to wander around. I remember buying baby clothes from there for my first child

Amberone Sun 10-Oct-21 19:24:36

Foot-in-mouth indeed, but I actually quite like what I've read of him. I believe the Ratner empire he built up is still going strong, although they kicked him out.

The Daily Mirror (I think) did the usual in reporting the joke out of context but he admits it was all his fault and that he shouldn't have said it and he lost everything as a result. I read somewhere his wife eventually read him the riot act when he was feeling sorry for himself and told him to get back to work and he did. He's doing okay again I think, he started a health club and sold it and now has an online jewellery concern.

Callistemon Sun 10-Oct-21 19:42:01

Auntieflo

Just come back. Hands off head now, due to drinking tea.
Thank goodness Callistemon, that I'm not the only mad one in the bunch.

Yes, I had to cook dinner so that was my penance grin

Lollin Sun 10-Oct-21 19:50:25

John Lewis sad none near us now and I cannot buy online. However apart from buying saved for item it was really just the opportunity to walk through the store looking at all the lovely things and then treating myself to coffee or lunch.

nexus63 Sun 10-Oct-21 20:05:22

i was always in woolworths as a child and teenager, i got all my lp's and 45's from the store, my gran got most things she needed, we now have home bargains, b & m and wilko, i have poundland 2 mins away and use it most days, all my clothes i bought from virgo then weww and now it is primark, when shops close there is always something to replace it.