Gransnet forums

Chat

I Do Miss…..

(109 Posts)
Calendargirl Sun 10-Oct-21 10:28:21

Woolworths.

And before anyone says “Well, if only people had used it more”.

But I did.

Only this morning, made some tomato soup and blitzed it up with a hand held blender, bought from there for about a fiver.

The bedding on the spare bed is from there, the bath and hand towels in the bathroom also.

Reasonable prices, good quality, nearly always found a bargain when I went in.

The old store is now a B&M type store, very useful, but I still miss Woolies.

Beswitched Tue 12-Oct-21 10:17:49

All the newsagents/sweetshops are disappearing where I live. So many memories of hanging around my local one having a free read of that week's comics.
I suppose the supermarkets all sell newspapers and magazines and stationery and sweets nowadays, so another bit of the past on the way out.

Marmight Tue 12-Oct-21 10:30:48

Woolies is alive & kicking in Australia. Its a huge supermarket and also, separately, a Woolies as we knew it selling just about everything you need and more that you don’t know you need! I love going there when visiting DD.
I bought my first bra in Woolworth in Croydon on the way home from school aged 11, egged on by my friend Gaynor Wenham. ?. I didn’t need one (it was pale green if I remember correctly). I loved the stationery dept. full of notepads and newly invented ‘biros’.

Summerfly Tue 12-Oct-21 10:52:14

I remember the clear box filled with peanuts. It was heated and the nuts were warm when we bought them.
I remember my darling mum telling me that everything used to be sixpence in Woolies. She bought a frying pan there. It lasted for donkeys years.

Callistemon Tue 12-Oct-21 11:17:17

Woolies is alive & kicking in Australia. Its a huge supermarket and also, separately, a Woolies as we knew it selling just about everything you need and more that you don’t know you need! I love going there when visiting DD.

Yes, Big W is always a port of call for me as well!
I bought some clothes there last time.

Big W opened near here in the UK but unfortunately didn't last long. I think The Range took over the site.

Sheilasue Tue 12-Oct-21 15:39:02

Yes I miss it too.used to get my nephews little pressies for Xmas from there. I had a glass fruit bowl, my mum had it for years and I remember her giving it to me. Sadly I dropped it and it shattered.

Buttercup1954 Tue 12-Oct-21 16:59:14

BHS

DanniRae Tue 12-Oct-21 17:28:18

Marmight - the Woolworths in Croydon is the one I used to go to. Right from a child until a few years ago when Mr R and I started going to Bromley.

Marmight Wed 13-Oct-21 08:33:59

DanniRae

Marmight - the Woolworths in Croydon is the one I used to go to. Right from a child until a few years ago when Mr R and I started going to Bromley.

It was in the road at the end of Surrey Street market. I was at The Old Palace school but moved away when I was 12. Never been back to Croydon since! Funny the events from way back which stay in one’s memory. Obviously buying a first bra was a Big Event ?