Gransnet forums

Chat

£10,900 annual income needed to retire

(110 Posts)
Esspee Tue 12-Oct-21 13:40:38

Comments anyone on this gem from today’s news?

Grannynannywanny Sat 16-Oct-21 11:49:50

If someone is looking after a sick relative, disabled child or foster children do they not get their NI paid? It seems most unfair if they don't get at least the same deal as people who choose not to work when their children are at school. I would have thought that carer's allowance or similar would apply - if it doesn't, it should, IMO.

Doodledog from personal experience I can confirm that those in receipt of Carer’s allowance are entitled to NI credits.

Doodledog Sat 16-Oct-21 12:08:40

Good. I thought they would be.

I asked as someone upthread seemed indignant that people were assuming that women with an incomplete record were relying on a partner's contributions instead of paying their own, as they may have been caring for sick relatives or disabled children.

Grannynannywanny Sat 16-Oct-21 12:22:18

That might have been me that came across as indignant upthread Doodledog. It was in response to the poster who seemed to be suggesting women were at fault if they reached state pension age and hadn’t paid into a private pension during working years. The suggestion that we shouldn’t be relying on a partner for financial support did irritate me ?

I posted it to draw attention to the army of family carers who are unable to work full time if at all. If they’ve been in that situation long term then they’re not in a position to have a private pension pot. Fortunately they do receive full state pension as NI credits have filled the gaps.

Doodledog Sat 16-Oct-21 13:38:09

Ah, maybe I misread, Grannynannywanny. I thought the post (if it was yours) was about state pensions being topped up. Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

nanna8 Sat 16-Oct-21 13:43:07

What makes me sick is when these extremely rich people pontificate about things when what they really need to do is dole out some of their cash to others in dire need. Thinking of those princes in the royal family .

Grannynannywanny Sat 16-Oct-21 14:49:47

No need to apologise Doodledog ?

nadateturbe Sat 16-Oct-21 17:11:36

nanna8

What makes me sick is when these extremely rich people pontificate about things when what they really need to do is dole out some of their cash to others in dire need. Thinking of those princes in the royal family .

Could not agree more.

M0nica Sat 16-Oct-21 19:51:39

nna8 I understand that the Royal family are generous donors to the charities they support. they just do not make a song and dance about it.

And whils some rich people are tight fisted, many do give to charity - and generously - but, again, do not make a song and dance about it.

What private knowledge do you have that justifies your sweeping statements?

nadateturbe Sat 16-Oct-21 22:54:37

Perhaps they do give Monica but who needs to hoard millions? However it's a topic for a different thread.