Gransnet forums

Chat

£10,900 annual income needed to retire

(109 Posts)
Chestnut Tue 12-Oct-21 16:58:16

So much depends on whether you have mortgage, rent or service charge payments, or a car. Those are all large amounts to find. So plucking a figure out of the air like £10,900 is a bit random.
Then we have holidays, not essential I guess, and entertainment, meals out etc. again not essential. Those things are all dependant on the amount you have left after paying the essential bills and food.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 12-Oct-21 16:41:13

I would have great difficulty keeping my dog I think - not only food (she’s a big dog) and annual jabs but medication as she’s elderly.

Casdon Tue 12-Oct-21 16:14:59

I guess the issue is whether that amount will be enough a year from now, when the cost of everything is rising, but pensions won’t keep up with inflation. It must be very worrying for people who already live on or below the line.

BlueBelle Tue 12-Oct-21 16:07:08

I manage fine on just under £11,500 and don’t live a spartan life at all I am mortgage free I paid that off by myself some years ago I don’t have or run a car so that would make a difference I wouldn’t want to go any lower although I m sure I could adjust, but why should we ?

sodapop Tue 12-Oct-21 15:52:54

I did read that pensioners needed more because nowadays they like to eat out and have haircuts. - really, how very dare we.

Jaxjacky Tue 12-Oct-21 14:39:17

Rising to the heady sum of £16,700 for a couple. To carry on our not particularly extravagant lifestyle, which we enjoy, would be a struggle.

Blossoming Tue 12-Oct-21 13:48:57

It would depend on your outgoings. We are mortgage free, but still have to make sure we have money to cover maintenance, repairs and replacement. If you pay rent those things may be covered. I went through all this with my financial advisor before retiring and it really does help to include things like hairdresser, nights out, hobbies, etc.

Kim19 Tue 12-Oct-21 13:48:22

Well..... I keep a spreadsheet of my monthly income and outgoings. I think I could manage on that but it would be a pretty Spartan existence. That's, of course, before all these price increases we are currently being warned of. Certainly wouldn't enjoy it.

Esspee Tue 12-Oct-21 13:40:38

Comments anyone on this gem from today’s news?