Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's warm and welcoming kitchen for kindly folk.

(1001 Posts)
soop Thu 14-Oct-21 12:58:04

Help! The old kitchen door is locked. I'm wandering hither and thither like a lost soul. Has a new kitchen been opened please? I hate being this side of the door.

Kalu Sat 23-Oct-21 10:58:42

Sincere condolences Sue. I know the sadness of losing a dear friend. ?

MayBeMaw Sat 23-Oct-21 11:07:44

Urmstongran

I recall last year soop saying it was his preferred moniker.
Pay attention class!
?‍??

Oh dear I must have missed that too - I usually try to read everything but clearly sometimes things slip through in the news from other Kitcheners.
As Charleygirl says, maybe it happened while a group of us were consigned to the outer darkness. ☺️

Blossoming Sat 23-Oct-21 11:33:35

Good morning dear Kitcheners, after a busy afternoon and a late night I am feeling very lazy today. I must catch up on a little housework. It’s cold and cloudy here, but quite light and I can see some lovely autumn colours outside. I would like to have a walk and take some pics, but I did quite a lot of walking yesterday and my foot is reminding me that it’s only 10 days since my last fall. I could quite happily snooze in my chair today but must get moving. Have a lovely afternoon all. I’m relieved to know soop doesn’t have several husbands stashed away!

MayBeMaw Sat 23-Oct-21 12:44:12

“Relieved” Blossoming ?
I was admiring her stamina! grin

soop Sat 23-Oct-21 12:52:13

grin Well now, as you lot appear to be a tad confused, I shall come clean. MacSporran and Mr Soop are indeed the same dear man. I seem to recall that he prefers to be known as the latter. Bless! He considers you all to be "his ladies". wink

dragonfly I feel as bushed on this new medication as I did when taking the former Letrozole. Washed out and listless. When I had permission to stop the drug for a couple of months, my former self surfaced. I am lucky to be able to keep the cancer at bay. That is more important and therefore, I shall persist. It's what we do. smile

GrannyGravy13 Sat 23-Oct-21 13:00:50

My condolences suedonim ?

I am having a very lazy day, curled up in my favourite chair with a book, magazines and iPad.

Will look in later ☕️?

MayBeMaw Sat 23-Oct-21 13:14:43

For GrannyGravy and everyone else who enjoys an afternoon curled up in a comfy chair (and who doesn’t?)

silverlining48 Sat 23-Oct-21 13:29:02

Hello Soop and fellow kitcheners, it’s been a while since I popped in but do look in sometimes.
Sorry to hear your new medication is causing unwanted side effects and hope this eases soon and does the job it’s supposed to do.
I for one would be happier if your dh were to remain McSporran as it rhymes perfectly with my lovely new Scottish doctors name. I have called her by a different, and non rhyming, name, which might be my age but that would annoy anyone, but do need her onside because as far as I and my bad hip are concerned, she is a VIP.
I am also on my sofa, doing absolutely nothing.
Take care all.

Urmstongran Sat 23-Oct-21 13:34:42

Me too Maw & GG13. TOTALLY ‘busy doing nothing’.
In fact only got dressed at 1pm.
?
Reading. Always a pleasure.
Plus on here (a bit).

kittylester Sat 23-Oct-21 13:57:23

On my way here, I called into our local fb page where I happened to notice that a prominent member of one of our churches is offering, free, the stair gate that I leant her when she had a new puppy! Not sure how that works. confused

MayBeMaw Sat 23-Oct-21 14:00:43

Disingenuously just enquire whether she is finished with it NOW? Hope it was useful etc etc etc
You could offer to pic it up too!

soop Sat 23-Oct-21 14:46:50

You lot make me chuckle. I'm not complaining. In fact, thank you for doing so. flowers

annodomini Sat 23-Oct-21 14:53:54

Regarding the appellation for Mr Soop/MacSporran. I like the latter name, but I know that it is, in fact, a real name as I did once know a family of MacSporrans. That being so, I will accede to his preference and refer to Mr Soop.
I'm also doing not very much though I know there is a dishwasher to be cleared and re-loaded. I'm still wondering who knocked on my door when I was just getting out of the shower at 12.30 and was in no fit state to answer. I've spent some time trying to complete the Guardian prize crossword on line - so nearly there! And there's Alexander Armstrong on Classic FM. I can always rely on some favourites on Saturday afternoon, as well as some new pieces - new to me that is.

muse Sat 23-Oct-21 16:13:58

Reluctantly, we will now have an ‘at home’ weekend as the invite to be with the extended family gathering, will wait until safer times. With cases still rising here in Cornwall, the risk is too great, especially as MrM needs to get the doctors for his 2x weekly visit to dress the leg ulcer. Improvement continues. No compression stocking yet but he had a slightly looser bandage last Thursday. He is now booted up!

We both had our flu vaccination and covid booster earlier today. Well done to our local community hall and volunteers. Such a friendly buzz around the place. We were in and out in 20 mins and that included the compulsory 15 min with our egg timers to ensure —we— I was safe to drive.

Snow on the way then Jax. I must admit, I’d love a good sprinkling of snow here in Cornwall. We get very little. What a lovely caring thought about the heating allowance. I know three AC here who would appreciate our’s. Good idea Jax, MrM has just said.

Take care of that foot Blossoming.

I’ve been regularly posting in the kitchen since I joined GN in January and was surprised to see McSporran being used recently. I now understand the reason why Susan and Urms. As Mr Soop is his preferred handle, Mr Soop it will remain for me, but I did wonder why some use Mc and others, like soop, use Mac. Apparently there is a difference: Scottish patronymic surnames frequently have the prefix Mac and Irish patronymic surnames frequently use Mc.

I shall brave the cold outside now with hat, gloves, scarf and many layers. There’s a chilly blast and Mya missed her midday walk.

MayBeMaw Sat 23-Oct-21 16:50:21

Report soop Mon 09-Mar-15 12:56:13
Ahem!!! Whilst a few of you lot are on the subject of architects and boring buildings... MacSporran is a retired architect and I must put in a good word on his behalf

Looking back through old threads with happy memories of many who are no longer with us (in both senses sad ) I came upon this venerable use of the name MacSporran gringrin
If the search facility on GN wasn’t such ? I am fairly certain I could find earlier usages!
BT W for anybody else who has been a member for years and years- a trawl down Memory Lane aka the “Chat” threads is nice, a bit like looking at old family albums and a joy to read posts from many we sadly miss.

Marydoll Sat 23-Oct-21 17:08:38

Apologies, for getting it wrong all for all those years. I do stand corrected. Sorry, my only excuse is, I was born a Mc, my Irish ancestry must have affected my brain and old habits die hard.
In fact, very few Macs, on our school register, mainly Mcs. Intriguing, to say the least.

soop Sat 23-Oct-21 17:26:34

Ha! It's so good to have a silly chit chat with you lot. You always cheer me greatly. flowers

I am now beginning a painting of Pumpkin, our granddaughter's new cat. The previous cat, Juno, died. It is a colourful character. At one point, my eyes went all dizzy because of the concentration I was putting into capturing it's busy, fluffy coat.

Our Sweetie Pie (feral cat) spent almost all of yesterday with us (in the utility room, lolling on the door mat), eating freshly cooked chicken. What an appetite. A joy to know that he/she is thriving and sporting a very glossy coat. Not visiting us daily. But does spend the occasional night in the apartment. Not a bad life! wink

Away to read the newspaper. Is there any hint of good news? hmm Wouldn't it be a treat to hear that life is improving for one and all? I would hang out the bunting in celebration.

TOYA and hoping to be with you again tomorrow. smile moon

kittylester Sat 23-Oct-21 17:27:50

I suspect I have been inconsistent.blush Is there a reason why some are Mac and some Mc?

I have Irish ancestry too and neither a Mac nor a Mc among them. Those some were fervent catholics and some fervent CofE. It's a wonder I exist at all. grin

MayBeMaw Sat 23-Oct-21 17:30:33

One thing I did notice from the “old” threads was there was much more cake
Not that I am hinting or anything …..?
To put my money where my mouth is I am leaving an Olive Oil and Apple cake on the side. It was a bit of an experiment as I thought it might be good for vegans (no eggs, no butter) and also I was expecting my sisters in law for the weekend , planning to take them out to lunch and then to Bletchley Park today and the Laura Knight exhibition at MK tomorrow.
Their aunt was at Bletchley in the war and both she and FIL were MI5, but they had never been to Bletchley.
Long story short, I messaged one on Thursday night to confirm times etc , then again yesterday morning and — - - - -
they had completely forgotten. shock
I have just got to ? let it go ?but I am a bit cross.
Spare rooms tidied , beds made up, shopped for visitors and baked a flippin cake! They are sweet ladies but clearly getting a bit vague.
So see what you think of the cake. In the interests of research (of course) I have been eating it ever since I heard they were not coming and able to offer some to a friend who popped in unexpectedly for a coffee. Actually I rather like it - very moist!

Blossoming Sat 23-Oct-21 17:33:37

Mc doesn’t mean you’re of Irish origin, it just means that’s the spelling attached to one of your ancestors. They seem to be interchangeable in very old documents, and people weren’t so fussy about spellings. Most of them probably couldn’t read or write anyway ?. I have lots of McKenzies in my family tree and they are solid Aberdeenshire farmers.

Marydoll Sat 23-Oct-21 17:39:14

I have found memories of the founding members of the Argy, infiltrating the Kitchen and causing havoc, when we tried to lead Soop astray. I believe smelling salts were needed! ? She was such a good sport!

Blossoming Sat 23-Oct-21 17:39:19

I’m tidying up the family history today in cahoots with a cousin, can you tell? grin

Marydoll Sat 23-Oct-21 18:00:32

Blossoming that sounds fascinating.
My mother's family were called Murphy, no guessing where they came from. However, I have only managed to trace my father's family back to the 1880's in Coatbridge, Lanarkshire. Drawn a blank before that. There does seem to be something strange, to do with my grandfather marrying his sister in law on his wife's death! I'm itching to find out more.

MayBeMaw Sat 23-Oct-21 18:24:21

So many families seem to “straddle” the Irish Sea don’t they? Did they originate in Ireland and come to Scotland for work perhaps or move the opposite way to seek, their fortune?

Marydoll Sat 23-Oct-21 18:39:47

Oh I know why mine came to Scotland. I don't know whether I'm willing to share it! They may still be on the Most Wanted list!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion