Gransnet forums

Chat

Unromantic partners

(26 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 16-Oct-21 12:04:48

Inspired by a comment on the 'love notes' thread (about the radishes grin) I thought about one of my exes, who was a lovely, kind man.

He sent me a christmas card (the nicest one out of a box of 25, I reckon) and inside was written.
"Best wishes. Kevin."

MissAdventure Sat 16-Oct-21 12:12:16

He also once nervously told me he had something to ask me.
He pointed out that we got on well, had been together 9 years now, and so he thought it was time to commit to something a bit more permanent.
Then said "Shall we get an allotment together?"

crazyH Sat 16-Oct-21 12:15:33

Dont go by romantic gestures……my ex husband brought me 12 red roses and the most gorgeous, boxed Xmas card, full of ‘gushy’ words. Within 2 weeks I discovered, he had been having a rather long time affair with the wife of one of our friends. Apparently, he was waiting for my youngest son to finish his GCSEs (oh how thoughtful ?) before he dropped the bombshell. He left me for her, and eventually we got divorced.

crazyH Sat 16-Oct-21 12:16:47

Oh Miss A ….you always bring a smile to my face ??

MissAdventure Sat 16-Oct-21 12:19:57

smile
That's good to hear. Thank you.

Kali2 Sat 16-Oct-21 12:25:05

Ah well- give me a good, kind, honest, faithful man anyday- like mine- rather than one that gives flowers and diamond rings to hide the fact that they are not .. (see above)- as many of my friends have, or rather, had!

Namsnanny Sat 16-Oct-21 12:27:22

You have my sympathy crazyHyou reminded me that a spontaneous hand hold and kiss was used to divert my attention from seeing something incriminating.
Romance becomes a little jaded when you realise it's just camouflage.

But back to th op. Sweet story MissAdventure, did you join him in his agricultural adventure?smile

Candelle Sat 16-Oct-21 12:30:58

My husband is lovely but a bit of a joker at times.

For our thirtieth wedding anniversary he bought me... a bag of pearl barley.

I was not impressed (he said he didn't know which type of pearls I wanted and anyway, I already had some!).

Can anyone beat that for unromantic gestures?!

MissAdventure Sat 16-Oct-21 12:31:30

No I didn't want that level of commitment. grin

Kestrel Sat 16-Oct-21 12:47:44

I think I would take humour over romance - esp after several decades together - well done Mr Candelle!

Namsnanny Sat 16-Oct-21 13:03:29

Wisdom and Wit!!
He missed out there.grin

sodapop Sat 16-Oct-21 13:07:44

?? MissA

dolphindaisy Sat 16-Oct-21 13:22:48

My DH is very thoughtful When I had a slipped disc I complained I couldn't get on my hands and knees to wash the kitchen floor, next day he came home and proudly presented me with a long handled mop, he really thought he was doing me a big favour.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Oct-21 13:39:24

And they say romance is dead. smile

Nannarose Sat 16-Oct-21 14:29:59

I have had the good fortune to read UA Fanthorpe's Atlas at 2 weddings:
www.storiesspace.com/forum/poetry-discussion/poem-of-the-day-atlas-by-ua-fanthorpe

grannyactivist Sat 16-Oct-21 15:01:26

MissA you’ve brought a smile to my face. ???

My husband is not a natural, so when he does do something romantic I always appreciate the effort it’s taken. Like the time he made me an ‘everlasting’ wooden Christmas card (saves paper), or when he brought me a bag of carrots after I’d had a baby (lots of VitA to help night-time eyesight). ?

He sometimes buys me flowers, occasionally he’ll write something very precious in a card, but he is always totally dependable, a genuinely good man who is generous and kind……and we also share an allotment!! ?

GrannySomerset Sat 16-Oct-21 15:30:18

Ŵhen DD was born her besotted papa came to hospital laden with flowers. When DS was born 20 months later he came with a box of envelopes and a list of names and addresses to enable him to send out a newsletter to a professional group he chaired. “I thought you hadn’t really anything much to do” he said as he handed them over. And stupid me actually sat up carefully on my stitches and addressed the envelopes.

Having said that he has bought many bunches of flowers over the years because he loves flowers in the house, and I do feel a bit resentful that I have to buy my own now.

kittylester Sat 16-Oct-21 18:41:59

DH once bought me a really expensive iron. He didn't make that mistake again!!

Nortsat Sat 16-Oct-21 18:47:41

My partner once spent £70 on a set of Joseph Joseph plastic chopping boards for my Christmas present (there is not a level on which that works) ...

GrannyGravy13 Sat 16-Oct-21 18:59:12

I shall be ordering my Christmas Gifts tomorrow to give it DH in plenty of time for him to wrap them and put them under the tree. (I also put the gift wrap, tags and trimmings in the bag, otherwise they could be wrapped in anything grin)

Trisha57 Sat 16-Oct-21 19:09:58

I once queued at Argos on Christmas Eve for a present for my youngest daughter that I had forgotten to buy. In front of me was a man who collected an ironing board - I DO hope it wasn't a Christmas present!!!!

MamaCaz Sat 16-Oct-21 19:12:02

On my last birthday, a big birthday, OH gave me a card that seemed familiar.

It didn't take me long to realize why - I had bought it myself, as a 'just in case' card. It wasn't even a birthday card really. The wording on it was very general.

So, having been too lazy / self-centred /inconsiderate (take your pick!) to go to the shops to buy me a card for my 60th, he had panicked last minute, searched through my things, and given me my own card!

foxie48 Sat 16-Oct-21 19:17:10

In the early days of our relationship, we dug a pond in our garden. We had an old metal wheelbarrow and eventually I had to admit that when it was filled with earth I couldn't push it up the plank into the skip because it was just too heavy. I came home the next day to a present.... a lightweight plastic wheelbarrow!

Katie59 Sat 16-Oct-21 19:31:21

It’s the little things that matter, holding hands, the hugs, doing things together, saying “ I love you” and flowers are a bonus.

Mattsmum2 Sat 16-Oct-21 19:39:24

GrannyGravy13

I shall be ordering my Christmas Gifts tomorrow to give it DH in plenty of time for him to wrap them and put them under the tree. (I also put the gift wrap, tags and trimmings in the bag, otherwise they could be wrapped in anything grin)

I don’t actually buy the gifts, he does that after I send him the link to what I would like. Once we went shopping for my Xmas gift and I said I would like a pair of earrings I saw in a jewellers. Went in had a look and said yes they’re perfect. He forgot his wallet so I ended up paying (he did pay me back).
Yes I get all the wrapping paper etc too.
Tend to get a range of birthday and other cards, some saying to the one I love and others to someone special.
Oh to get a surprise gift or something out if the blue!
I give a lot of thought in to gifts, making a note of things he says during the year to surprise him. Guess we’re not all alike but doesn’t make him a bad personal x