Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you feel you have aged since the pandemic

(92 Posts)
Audi10 Wed 20-Oct-21 18:06:26

Obviously everyone ages as the years go by, we cannot stop our body clock, but despite being careful isolating self distancing etc etc, I feel I have, I don’t suffer from anxiety but I do tend to think is this really me lol,

Kali2 Thu 21-Oct-21 23:07:42

You have no idea the responsibility some of the 'head in the sand' and blind support of this Government contributes to this anger. As for general moaning comment- what a good example.

lemongrove Thu 21-Oct-21 23:05:45

The honest answer to the OP is no, I don’t, thankfully, but only have to look at GN some days to age very quickly.....the sheer amount of anger and general moaning must put years on many people.

jeanio Thu 21-Oct-21 22:18:25

I thought it was just me, when I look in the mirror now I see a wrinkly old lady and never felt like that before ,although I am in my mid seventies. I've also put on some weight.grrr.

Margiknot Thu 21-Oct-21 22:17:48

I too have felt that life in general has become narrower- less positive since the brexit vote ( and the lack of civility and divisions that accompanied and followed it - and then Covid! I think I’ve lost confidence in both myself and to some extent humanity in general rather than physically aged!

MayBee70 Thu 21-Oct-21 21:47:42

I know exactly what you mean, Pedwards….

Pedwards Thu 21-Oct-21 20:56:02

I don’t necessarily feel that I have aged and did actually enjoy parts of lockdown, but I feel differently about things now than pre pandemic. It’s difficult to explain and I’m not sure it’s purely Covid. I don’t think it helps that we have a completely incompetent government who are wrecking the country and since Trump there is little world leadership. It all makes me feel quite sad and I worry for the future for our children and grandchildren. Covid and lockdown has just added to this.

Sorry for this sad outburst, I’m normally very upbeat and optimistic. A few more weekends away over the next couple of months with friends will hopefully help.

Kali2 Thu 21-Oct-21 17:06:51

Not since the pandemic, but since Brexit really. The disappointment in the UK I love has truly hit me, big time- and same for my OH. The pandemic just made it even worse.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 21-Oct-21 17:01:18

I’m so sorry bobbydog?.

I have definitely aged. Put on weight which makes my arthritis worse and have become more reclusive. I know the remedy is in my own hands but the news being so grim and the opportunities for gardening becoming fewer as the weather worsens just make me want comfort food. I like all the worst things!

Moth62 Thu 21-Oct-21 16:59:55

Yes, definitely aged, both mentally and physically. I am due shortly to do a long train journey (last did it in Dec 2019) that I have undertaken without a qualm hundreds of times with babies, young children, pushchairs, luggage, etc. I am already getting nervous about it. I almost cancelled the whole trip. However, I really feel it’s important to push myself out of my comfort zone and try to climb out of my shell. But it’s still a scary thought

Sadgrandma Thu 21-Oct-21 16:53:03

Yes I've definitely aged during the pandemic. Fortunately I've avoided Covid but have developed a problem with my hip meaning I now have problems getting around. I'm awaiting a hip replacement. I now feel very miserable as I shuffle about and my grandmother looks back at me from the mirror!

bobbydog24 Thu 21-Oct-21 16:41:38

I lost my husband in the autumn before the pandemic began so lockdown was particularly harrowing for me being totally on my own for the first time in 51 years. I also stopped wearing makeup going out, I felt it was a waste of time with a mask covering most of my face.
I think most people, young and old have if not aged they have changed in the way they live their lives. Unfortunately I don’t think the pandemic has brought the best out in a lot of people.

Fae1 Thu 21-Oct-21 16:36:06

Definitely! At least 10 years ?

queenofsaanich69 Thu 21-Oct-21 16:32:50

Definitely lots more wrinkles,now glad to wear a mask !
Isummer sending you hugs

Lizzie44 Thu 21-Oct-21 16:22:04

I recognise much of what others have said - the lack of energy, the listlesness, at times the tears. Looking back to the first lockdown I've noticed a rapid acceleration in ageing - physical and mental. I used to be very energetic, got through the household chores with ease, took part in group activities. travelled a lot. I laughed when I was first described as being in the "elderly, vulnerable" category, but now I've lost my confidence and do sometimes feel vulnerable when I'm out and about (juggling mask, hearing aids and glasses) in what sometimes feels like an alien landscape.

I've become more forgetful, often struggle to remember names etc and wonder if it is the start of something more sinister or just stress. I'm aware of time running out, or at least time in which I will be healthy and sound-minded enough to reclaim my pre-Covid life.

And then there is the guilt. I have a kindly Mr L, two supportive (though geographically distant) DDs, a lovely home and money to call Waitrose to my door in times of lockdown. Yet sometimes I whine like a spoilt child because I can no longer swan off on holiday. I try to be better than this and I count my blessings. I have it easy compared to the many suffering since Covid, whether losing loved ones, struggling financially, coping with illness, disability...

katy1950 Thu 21-Oct-21 15:36:48

Yes without a doubt I feel anxious, and have lost all my confidence it's sad

fluttERBY123 Thu 21-Oct-21 15:10:01

I feel I have aged. Not physically. There are just lots of things I no longer bother to do. Small things but there seems to be a gradual letting go. I feel more and more distanced from the family, not that I see them any less but they are all.busy and growing up. I hope it works out that I fade away and become memory. That's a quote I rather like from somewhere.

EthelJ Thu 21-Oct-21 15:00:57

Yes I have definitely aged more than I think I would have without the pandemic. I am much less fit , more overweight and get tired more easily. I don't think I am the same person I was before.

MayBee70 Thu 21-Oct-21 14:39:22

One good thing to come out of it is that I’ve got a couple of wigs that I’ve never worn in public. Because I’m not going to the hairdressers as I worry about catching covid there I now feel I have a reason to wear a wig (I know I don’t need to justify it but it’s how my mind works). The downside is I don’t actually go anywhere. But when hopefully things improve I might keep the same mindset.

jaylucy Thu 21-Oct-21 14:21:05

Before the pandemic I used to wear make up every day but since lockdown I have barely bothered even wearing mascara and have even gone out to family get togethers with little or no make up on. Something that was unheard of before!
I look at myself in the mirror, and everything seemed to have gone south and I have the dreaded turkey neck!
Spending quite a lot of time doing online courses means I haven't been getting the excercise I used to, so have put on weight and there is more grey than red in my hair, especially around my face!
Think I will avoid looking in the mirror in the future and just pretend I look about 10 years younger!

LuckyFour Thu 21-Oct-21 14:09:22

I've definitely got more wrinkles and my hair is now white. On holiday in 2019 according to photographs my hair was definitely a mousey blonde.
Also, I loved all my activities before the pandemic, now I can't be bothered with some of them (most of them actually) although I'm still carrying on reluctantly so as not to let people down.

Nannabumble70 Thu 21-Oct-21 13:42:51

I agree with most of you, lack of motivation, laziness, lethargy, weight gain and more aches and pains.

Theoddbird Thu 21-Oct-21 13:42:08

I have done more exercising during lockdown. Daily walkasize with core exercises using a dvd has kept me fit and supple. I have also used resistance bands to help my strength. My skin care has been twice daily. Oh and I have lost over a stone in weight.

Magnolia62 Thu 21-Oct-21 13:20:59

I definitely disliked seeing myself on screen during lockdown calls. Thank goodness we don’t have to do that any more!

I recently started to look and feel my age, painful stiff neck and shoulders. A trip to a recommended osteopath has made a huge difference. I booked a one hour slot for consultation, treatment and exercise plan. I admit it was a bit gruelling at times but the lovely young man who has not long started his own practice, same age as my youngest son, was so knowledgeable, informative and helpful. He actually complimented me on my strong spine and spent an extra 45 minutes with me since he didn’t have a follow on appointment. He worked on my neck, shoulders, arms and hands. I have been religiously doing the exercises for a week and feel so much better. More motivated too since I am not in pain and can move more easily. Perhaps not so old after all!

Supergran1946 Thu 21-Oct-21 13:08:46

During lockdown I made myself walk every single day. In fact I set myself the challenge of walking every street in my home town ! However, after succumbing to the dreaded virus I too feel my spirit has taken a knock back. I still go out walking, but as regards to housework, entertaining etc etc I just cant seem to be bothered.

Destin Thu 21-Oct-21 13:04:37

Yes...I’ve changed and obviously aged through the whole Covid experience ....but thank goodness for Zoom because that became a lifeline for keeping up my fitness level and I so enjoyed the social interaction. My garden benefitted from hours spent pottering around dividing up plants, growing stuff from seed packets I found in drawers etc., and I’ve realised I am an elderly ....with wrinkles and phobias ......but grateful to be alive and stepping back into life with a grateful heart that I’ve made it through!