Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you feel you have aged since the pandemic

(91 Posts)
Audi10 Wed 20-Oct-21 18:06:26

Obviously everyone ages as the years go by, we cannot stop our body clock, but despite being careful isolating self distancing etc etc, I feel I have, I don’t suffer from anxiety but I do tend to think is this really me lol,

Audi10 Wed 20-Oct-21 18:08:29

Sorry I pressed too soon, it should have said I do tend to think is this really me as I catch sight of myself in shop windows or mirrors

Allegretto Wed 20-Oct-21 18:10:34

I definitely think my face shows more wrinkles than it deserves to have gained in the past 20 months. However, I am thankful to have reasonably good health and will take the wrinkles without worrying too much about them.

crazyH Wed 20-Oct-21 18:20:34

Audi10, I don’t know about wrinkles, but my body has aged. My whole body seems to ache. I have gone lazy and lethargic. In the early days of COVID, I didn’t go far and now it’s become the norm. Everything is such an effort. Well I guess, 2 years is a long time ?

Esspee Wed 20-Oct-21 18:33:11

I know I am less fit thanks to being cooped up during lockdown but I don’t feel I look any different.

Blossoming Wed 20-Oct-21 18:38:56

I’ve lost a lot of muscle tone and function, which I’m working to get back. I’ve had a few setbacks, including some nasty falls, over the past two years. I think lockdown hasn’t done us any favours.

BlueSky Wed 20-Oct-21 18:39:26

Sadly I feel I’ve aged in spirit. All those travels I used to love, now really seem to be too much effort. It’s much easier to travel sitting in your comfy armchair watching some holiday shows!

Shinamae Wed 20-Oct-21 18:41:13

This is me……?

Shinamae Wed 20-Oct-21 18:44:57

This!!

Kamiso Wed 20-Oct-21 18:48:58

Definitely! The move from our house to a ground floor flat, though worth it in the long run, has been hard going. Not having a decent holiday doesn’t help!

MayBee70 Wed 20-Oct-21 18:54:26

Yes. I did read a while back that elderly people especially find that they’re less fit than they were pre pandemic. A friend of ours pointed this out to us ages ago. She’s in her nineties but could walk for miles…far fitter than me. She said she couldn’t walk as far as she used to. Although I still walk as much as possible I haven’t been going to the gym so I’ve lost muscle and my arthritic knees are really bad. I used to do strengthening exercises at the gym that kept the arthritis at bay. Maybe it’s being aware of a specific time scale but boy have I aged in my face! Even though I’ve done everything possible to eat healthily, watch my weight etc.

Baggs Wed 20-Oct-21 18:58:54

Feelings are irrelevant; everyone who was alive at the start of the pandemic and who hasn't died has aged during it. That's how tim (and life) works.

I thought the Queen's refusal of the Oldie Award was silly. Of course she's old and she's a great old person so why not accept the offered award with grace?

People are silly about oldness.

Baggs Wed 20-Oct-21 18:59:14

*time

MayBeMaw Wed 20-Oct-21 19:15:45

I think the enforced isolation in the early lockdown was ageing for many people- it certainly provided me a foretaste of what extreme old age might be like when I am perhaps unable to get out independently, to drive or when close friends have died off.
The things which we have the leisure to enjoy in retirement were largely denied and apart from our one hour’s permitted exercise we were housebound.
18 months of that may well have eroded people’s self-confidence or motivation and made them feel more vulnerable.
So yes-ageing but for those of us who still have our health, we can do something about it, Covid permitting.

1summer Wed 20-Oct-21 19:36:44

My husband and I retired 5 years ago and although I struggled with not going to work we both were beginning to enjoy retirement. We had a couple of fabulous long haul holidays to places we had dreamed of going to and also a few long stays at my nephews apartment in Spain. Lots of days out, new hobbies, and time together. Then Covid hit, it was a has been a difficult time for everyone but I felt I aged considerably also put on weight and struggled to maintain regular exercise. Then a start of this year Husband and I both had a bowel cancer scare and both had to have operations, recovered from that, then Husband had to have skin cancer removed from face. The biggest hit was in July when husband started to have seizures and after many tests was diagnosed with an aggressive acute rare Leukaemia. The Chemo treatment is terrible and prognosis not good. So we are shielding not going out and not seeing anyone. So I feel very old and almost feel Covid robbed us of a year of retirement. The only bright light in the last 2 years is the birth of our gorgeous granddaughter inMay 2020 but that time was fraught with problems due to Covid.

Smileless2012 Wed 20-Oct-21 19:40:23

I can identify with that Shinamaegrin sometimes I look in the mirror and see my mum, on really bad days I see my gran.

Both lovely ladies but even sohmm.

varian Wed 20-Oct-21 19:44:07

Yes. I am so much looking forward to seeing all our family here for Xmas. FINGERS CROSSED

But I think they will see that DH and I have turned into old folk.

MayBee70 Wed 20-Oct-21 19:45:31

1summer

My husband and I retired 5 years ago and although I struggled with not going to work we both were beginning to enjoy retirement. We had a couple of fabulous long haul holidays to places we had dreamed of going to and also a few long stays at my nephews apartment in Spain. Lots of days out, new hobbies, and time together. Then Covid hit, it was a has been a difficult time for everyone but I felt I aged considerably also put on weight and struggled to maintain regular exercise. Then a start of this year Husband and I both had a bowel cancer scare and both had to have operations, recovered from that, then Husband had to have skin cancer removed from face. The biggest hit was in July when husband started to have seizures and after many tests was diagnosed with an aggressive acute rare Leukaemia. The Chemo treatment is terrible and prognosis not good. So we are shielding not going out and not seeing anyone. So I feel very old and almost feel Covid robbed us of a year of retirement. The only bright light in the last 2 years is the birth of our gorgeous granddaughter inMay 2020 but that time was fraught with problems due to Covid.

I’m so sorry to hear that. DH and I were both feeling sorry for ourselves the other day saying that we were existing rather than living but I think we need to be more grateful that we are existing with reasonably good health. Take care x

VioletSky Wed 20-Oct-21 19:56:41

The pandemic coincided with being really ill so I have changed a lot in that time. I am seeing family that I haven't seen for 2 years tomorrow and all I've been able to think about is the state of me and my house since then.

Iam64 Wed 20-Oct-21 20:03:15

Yes, I do feel the pandemic somehow sped up the ageing process. Enforced isolation from grandchildren, family and friends. Family and group holidays cancelled repeatedly. Not driving any distances, quiet roads then currently incredibly busy roads.
It’s also added to existing feelings that being immune suppressed is not to be dismissed easily

May7 Wed 20-Oct-21 20:26:04

1summer I m sorry to read your post. Life can be very unfair thanks

Maybee70 We felt the same last week too.

crazyH Wed 20-Oct-21 20:32:53

I summer, sorry to see you are going through so much - thinking of you and all who are having a hard time flowers

Jaxjacky Wed 20-Oct-21 20:52:15

1summer that’s extremely hard for you both, I hope you still find moments of joy, especially with your granddaughter, even if it’s outside, take care.

Redhead56 Wed 20-Oct-21 21:24:54

Isummer so very sorry to hear of your troubles and illnesses. You have been blessed with a grandchild how wonderful. There is nothing more rewarding in life I have three beautiful little granddaughters I am so proud of.
Yes this time we have all endured has been difficult for all of us in many ways. Its been the biggest test to our resilience that's for sure.

GrandmaKT Wed 20-Oct-21 21:31:13

I don't feel I have aged physically during the pandemic, as during the first lockdown, we were stranded in NZ and had a great adventure, and since then I have been able to keep up with my cycling, either in groups or in twos when the lockdown was at its worst. However, mentally, I do feel I have aged. I used to go to a weekly pub quiz, which doesn't start til 9pm and finishes about 11:30. Now, it's a real struggle to go out at that time, when I feel like snuggling down for bed. The same goes for adventurous holidays abroad - they suddenly seem a lot more effort!