Gransnet forums

Chat

When did you start feeling old?

(77 Posts)
Smurf52 Fri 22-Oct-21 14:44:12

My experience was visiting a clinic when I wanted to stop taking antidepressants. On arrival I was greeted with a sign proclaiming Psychiatric Services for the Elderly. I'm 69 and know I'm elderly, but I felt really old even though I'm young in outlook.

timetogo2016 Sun 24-Oct-21 10:30:09

I haven`t yet thankfully.

Clawdy Sun 24-Oct-21 09:05:26

DH and I walking through park, a group of small children on bikes approached us. The little boy at the front shouted to the group "Stop!! Old people! " and they stopped to let us walk past!

Sweetpeasue Sat 23-Oct-21 23:29:48

BigBertha1 So sorry. Its really not much fun losing your health for sure.
Hope u get some relief soon, whatever the cause. ?

BigBertha1 Sat 23-Oct-21 22:21:49

Started feeling old this year mostly due to cheer continued intractable pain. I'm 68 but knackered.

Greeneyez Sat 23-Oct-21 22:03:34

?

lemongrove Sat 23-Oct-21 21:58:33

In the car last week, taking DGS aged 17 somewhere I was singing along happily to a ZZ TOP song and he said ‘why do you always play this old fashioned music’ ....I felt a bit old and deflated then.?

lemongrove Sat 23-Oct-21 21:54:16

Kim19

Somewhere around five years ahead of me is when I might be considering myself old. It's currently a moving target.

I always say ten years older than me is old....it’s worked so far.

varian Sat 23-Oct-21 19:16:33

I don't think I look particularly young for my age so I was amazed (and flattered) when someone referred to my 12 year old grandaughter as " your daughter". I was 72 at the time.

allule Sat 23-Oct-21 18:34:37

I’m not bothered about my actual age. I found being in my sixties amusing, seventies alarming, and being eighty last year quite incredible.
What does get me down is the lack of energy and mobility. Things that used to be so easy are now such a problem.
But that’s the way it goes…just have to make the best of it.,

Billybob4491 Sat 23-Oct-21 18:21:21

When I hit 70 I realised I could not longer do a handstand, thats when I felt old.

Esspee Sat 23-Oct-21 18:14:09

Not yet. I’m only 72.

M0nica Sat 23-Oct-21 17:36:31

I am 78, I am old, but I have yet to feel it. Being a woman I am used to being classified and dismissed by age.

I take as little notice of it now as I did when I was 27 and was classfied as an 'elderly prima gravida'.

We must learn to assert ourselves and not allow others to classify and dismiss us.

Boz Sat 23-Oct-21 17:24:29

I feel fine at 78 until I do too much walking. I am on the cusp of hip replacement and am taken with the pain in the groin which leads to limping and the use of a stick! Limping with a stick is not a good look and so ageing if you are past your prime.

Sweetpeasue Sat 23-Oct-21 17:23:48

You've made me smile Maywalk not an easy task lately.
Thankyou lovely lady. ???

FarNorth Sat 23-Oct-21 17:17:02

Wow May getting old is so busy!

I'm sure Johnny Walker is your favourite. smile

JaneJudge Sat 23-Oct-21 17:14:03

smile

silverlining48 Sat 23-Oct-21 17:08:37

That made me smile Maywalk. Arthur Itis is a real pain isn’t he?

AGAA4 Sat 23-Oct-21 17:01:55

Maywalk ?? thanks, so funny

MerylStreep Sat 23-Oct-21 16:45:36

Maywalk
?????

Maywalk Sat 23-Oct-21 16:35:21

Well I am 91 and was honoured to be asked if I would be celebrity of the day at a WW2 re-enactment show about three weeks ago.

I have become older since I called in last and a few changes have come into my life.
I have become a frivolous old woman.
I am seeing six men a day.
The first one is when I wake up named Will Power who helps me out of bed to go and see Jimmy Riddle and then its time for breakfast with Mr Kellogg followed closely by the refreshing company of Mr Tetley or his other friend who I only know with the initals P.G.

Then comes someone I dont like at all named Arthur Itis. He knows he is not welcome but insists on staying all day. Even then he does not like staying in one place as he takes me from joint to joint. After a hectic day I am glad to be going to bed ( and with Johnny Walker too ! ) but I keep having to dodge that horrible Al Zheimer.

Well I will leave you all now but I hope Will Power is your constant companion too but just make sure Emma Royd does not creep up on you from behind and watch out for Gerry Atric.

silverlining48 Sat 23-Oct-21 14:06:44

At 70 I didn’t think I could get away with being middle aged any longer and started to accept I was old (but still only felt middle aged). Walked for miles and was always out and about.

At 73 I have developed hip problems, it’s painful to walk anywhere and now I do feel old. It’s all about health.

dragonfly46 Sat 23-Oct-21 13:54:08

I am 75 and chemo knocked me out for a bit a couple of years ago but I have picked up since and still feel pretty good (considering my age of course) wink

FarNorth Sat 23-Oct-21 13:50:33

Recently, when I realised that my risk of a bad reaction if I get covid is much greater because of the age I am.

Dinahmo Sat 23-Oct-21 13:23:55

I'm 74. I feel the same in my head as I did when I was in my 20s. My body however, doesn't. It's starting to show it's age and sadly, to feel its age.

Margiknot Sat 23-Oct-21 13:20:33

Well there is old and ‘getting older’. I at 65 have only recently accepted I am ‘middle aged’ ! I still work ( only) alternate days and work in the nhs. I do get rather tired towards the end of my long days.
Our staff cafe is on the top floor and I can no longer walk up the stairs in one go, and get breathless ( OK and rather faint) after 2 flights for stairs. Last week a young doctor stopped to check I was alright! So I’m definitely getting older- and must be looking it too.