Gransnet forums

Chat

Does anyone remember when mortgage rates were almost 17%!

(136 Posts)
Kandinsky Tue 26-Oct-21 07:52:34

I do because I was paying it.

Bought our 1st house in 1988, can’t remember the rate at the time but probably around 10%? ( which seemed ok at the time )
Then the rate started going up literally every few months until it reached 17%.
I don’t know how we survived but we did.
3 young children as well.
I really hope the rates don’t go anywhere near those rates as my dd has a 200k mortgage! ( ours was 40k back in the 80’s but still nearly finished us )

mokryna Wed 27-Oct-21 23:51:26

We bought our first house in 1969 and bought our second in 1973 but hadn’t sold the first as sale fell through at the last moment. Two mortgages. We were young…..

However living in France, let me tell you if you take a mortgage out with a French bank, the rate you sign for is that you pay for the rest of the repayment, even if the rate shoots up.. Moreover, if the rate goes down you can speak to the bank, or play one bank against the other and get a lower rate.

When I think of the misery I and all the others suffered and will suffer in the UK, I really don’t understand why it can’t be done the French way.

M0nica Thu 28-Oct-21 07:43:01

Nowadays, in the UK as well, people take out fixed rate mortgages, however they will rarely be for more than 10 years at an absolute max and are usually 3 - 5 years long.

We have just taken out a Retirement Interest Only mortgage to pay for an extension. The rate is fixed for the first 5 years

mokryna Thu 28-Oct-21 09:55:04

But MOnica, these mortgages are fixed at the very low rates and can be spread over as many years as you wish, 25 years + if you wish. At the time of signing you are given a spreadsheet of all the payments due over the years. There is no shortfall because the rate was so low at the beginning.

mokryna Thu 28-Oct-21 09:57:17

If you move and same mortgage can be transferred to the new home

Rosina Thu 28-Oct-21 10:18:09

I can recall mortgage rates being that high, and also one terrible week when inflation and mortgage rates, already high, were hit by a financial crisis that saw interest rates rise yet again and to a frightening figure. My work colleague had just bought a house that he could barely afford, and on the day when the news was released he felt so ill and stressed that he went home. My OH worked in finance in the City and tried to reassure him that it wouldn't sustain - the Government would recover the crisis and the rates would return to what they were - and they did, quite quickly - but what a frightening time that was. I was uncomfortably aware that we too were stretched to the limit and both working full time - there was no more 'give' in our economy!

M0nica Thu 28-Oct-21 17:27:37

mortgages are now treated like utility bills. You regularly shop round to see of you can do better with another lender.

It is fine if you have a fixed rate for the full term of the mortgage when rates are low, but imagine you had signed up for a mortgage when rates were over 10% and they drop, as they have done, to only 2 or 3% when you are stuck with paying 10%.

You can port mortgages from one house to another in the UK, but it is not common.

I think every system in the UK and elsewhere have pros and cons and we are most comfortable with the system we are most familiar with.

mokryna Thu 28-Oct-21 22:56:27

^ It is fine if you have a fixed rate for the full term of the mortgage when rates are low, but imagine you had signed up for a mortgage when rates were over 10% and they drop, as they have done, to only 2 or 3% when you are stuck with paying 10%.^
Too true in the UK but in France you can change to a lower fixed rate.

Mistyfluff8 Sun 31-Oct-21 14:24:49

Yes I’m 1975 we bought our first house It was my money but my name never went on the mortgage account Lived on egg curry Had£6 a week to live on Was expected to give up work once had a child no way did nights Mu in-laws no help man attitude

Anneeba Sun 31-Oct-21 19:07:04

In our city of York, house prices actually doubled the following year (1988), such that the wonderful family who moved next but one to us paid more for their mid terrace two bed than we did for much larger three bed. However they were leaving a one bed London mousehole, so were still thrilled to get garden etc. Just not fair, who gets what for how much.

M0nica Sun 31-Oct-21 19:23:12

mokryna we change to different rates in the UK as well. If automatic it called the 'variable rate' but now adays, many people prefer to negotiate an even better deal with a different lender.