Gransnet forums

Chat

Engagement rings and choices

(69 Posts)
Judy54 Tue 26-Oct-21 14:35:08

Many years ago my friend's boyfriend asked her to marry him and produced a ring that had belonged to his grandmother. Unfortunately my friend did not like the ring. She told him it was a lovely ring but not to her taste and She would prefer it if they chose a ring together. He was upset by this and told her she was ungrateful and why should they spend money on a ring when this was perfectly fine. Ultimately they did not marry as their were to many differences about how their future together should be. I know I would not have been happy to wear a ring for life that I did not like. What would your reaction have been, would you have accepted it graciously or insisted on a ring of your choice?

maddyone Tue 26-Oct-21 18:52:27

We discussed the kind of style I would like and then chose the ring together. Unfortunately I lost the ring a few years later and we replaced it very hurriedly. Anyway I was never terribly happy with the new ring and so two years ago we went to Hatton Garden to buy a new engagement ring, as similar to the first one as possible. We recreated a special afternoon which had been lost by losing the first ring. I had the second ring’s diamond made into a pendant for my daughter, which we gave to her for Christmas. She was delighted and I’m very happy with my new ring.

maddyone Tue 26-Oct-21 18:56:25

Incidentally I didn’t like Diana’s engagement ring at all and feel very sorry for Catherine having to wear that ring for the rest of her life. I suppose she’ll have many other lovely pieces of jewellery to wear anyway so perhaps won’t be too bothered.
I thought the ring Harry had made for Meghan was lovely, but she spoilt it by having the band changed and thinned and having little stones put all around it. It’s now not to my taste at all.

J52 Tue 26-Oct-21 19:58:13

My ring is a solitaire from an antique Jewellery shop (50 years ago) strangely the setting became popular in the ‘90s as modern. I had the setting remade as it was wearing and I didn’t want to risk the diamond falling out.

NotANana Wed 27-Oct-21 11:00:17

I did feel sorry for the Duchess of Cambridge...imagine wearing a ring which was so well-known and for ever linked to her late MIL...

When we got engaged (in 1976...) we went and chose the ring together. I have never understood men who buy an expensive ring to present on one knee when they are asking the question. Unless they are very sure about style and size etc. Much better, I would, have thought, to choose together.

My original engagement ring was stolen about 10 years ago. It was a solitaire diamond in a very plain setting, the best that could be afforded at the time (it cost £67, as I remember, which seemed like a lot of money back then...). I am still very annoyed and rather upset about its loss.

MissAdventure Wed 27-Oct-21 11:18:20

Poor old Kate.
It's desperately sad to have to wear that £30000 ring.
Not sure on my noughts there.
Poor woman.

helgawills Wed 27-Oct-21 11:23:39

Never had money for an engagement ring. There's more important things than jewellery. Virtually all mine inherited, apart from wedding ring. Still together, 50+ years on.

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 27-Oct-21 11:26:45

Each of my children have a family ring - either wedding or engagement, all representing a long and happy past union which I think is lovely, but I think that the OP's friend had a lucky escape from Mr Myway or the Highway.

nexus63 Wed 27-Oct-21 11:27:50

i had been with my partner for 8 years when we decided to get married, his mum offered a ring but i said no, we went to a very cheap jewellery shop and i picked the cheapest ring costing £9, i was happy with this, i never been a fan of jewellery. the only thing i wear now is my wedding ring even though he has been gone 19 years, some people find it strange that i do not like necklaces and bracelets but that's just me.

Dearknees1 Wed 27-Oct-21 11:32:55

I gave my son a ring which had belonged to my mum and told him it was his to give to whoever he wanted when the time was right. When he decided to get engaged I made it clear I didn’t expect his girlfriend to accept it if she didn’t like it. He could sell it and buy another ring. As it happens it’s a very pretty ring and she did like it.

Tish Wed 27-Oct-21 11:46:36

Kate Middleton did.

jaylucy Wed 27-Oct-21 11:49:13

A friend of mine was in the same situation and I can only say that the ring was a huge carbuncle several sizes too small.
When it was taken to a jeweller to be re sized, they found out that it was a complete fake - not even gold!
It turned out that it had never been a heirloom engagement ring at all, just one they had found in the back of a drawer when the previous owner moved into a home.
The relationship didn't last as my friend found out that the reason that he had given it to her was because he didn't want to spend money on one of her choice!
The "romantic " picnics at any time of the year, cinema nights in with a meal cooked for her (usually burger and chips or a ready meal from Iceland) were basically because he was a skinflint - all his money, he spent on himself - designer clothing, new car, expensive toiletries etc. She had a lucky escape!

PS, the man is still single several years later , despite 5 engagements !

Ramblingrose22 Wed 27-Oct-21 11:58:25

The boyfriend sounds like a tightwad. The OP's friend had a lucky escape.

hamster58 Wed 27-Oct-21 11:58:42

Absolutely would not feel happy to be given someone else's ring as my engagement ring. By all means give/offer the ring as a gift and hope the recipient likes it, but being given a second hand ring for me smacks of 'too mean to buy her a new one of her own'

Paperbackwriter Wed 27-Oct-21 12:12:20

I'm not keen on the concept of engagement rings. I did have a sort-of one but it was 4 shillings and six pence in a sweet shop and I've still got it.
When my dad asked my mother to marry him, he offered her a ring that he'd given to someone else but she'd changed her mind and returned it. My mum didn't want it and continued to wear the ring her Canadian wartime love had given her. I think she often wished she'd been brave enough to emigrate and marry him.

Ellet Wed 27-Oct-21 12:35:29

My now late MiL gave my husband a bag of old jewellery to sell, things she had inherited but never worn. There was a pretty little diamond ring in the bag. I showed it to my son and asked if his girlfriend would like it. When he proposed he gave her this ring but stipulated that she didn’t need to wear it as an engagement ring but would be nice until they chose one together. My wonderful DiL loved it and has worn it proudly ever since.
I have since passed on my MiL’s engagement ring to her and she is going to have it redesigned as it is quite ugly.

Tempest Wed 27-Oct-21 12:38:35

When my son proposed to his girlfriend he gave her a Promise Ring. These rings signify a bond between two people. The couple then went together to choose her engagement ring and their wedding bands.

Hellsbelles Wed 27-Oct-21 12:42:50

My MIL gave me her engagement ring ( her first husband, the father of my dh ) as a ring , not engagement. It is not to my taste , but I told her we would pass on to her first born granddaughter .

grandtanteJE65 Wed 27-Oct-21 12:43:20

My paternal grandmother left a ring to each of her grandsons in the hope that they would give it to their wives, if and when they married. She left her own engagement ring to my mother, who was her eldest son's wife, and her other rings to my paternal aunt and uncle, who had been widowed.

This was I believe quite common in Scotland formerly - our grandmother died when we were teenagers in the 1970s.

Grandmothers quite often did leave their engagement rings to a grandson in the hope that they would give it to their fiancee.

I agree, I would not neccesarily have wanted to wear a ring, just because it had belong to my own or my husband's grandmother. I would happily have worn my grandmother's which was a half-hoop with five dark blue sapphires. It was however intended for my sister, which was fine by me.

Sadly neither she nor I got a chance to wear it, as it was missing from my mother's possessions after her death - rather oddly, as she had never worn it, and all her other rings, necklaces and brooches, and she had many, were where we expected to find them.

BlueSky Wed 27-Oct-21 13:04:25

I would have accepted it, as it was family heirloom, but not wore it, as I don’t think it’s right wearing somebody else’s ring. I would instead have saved the money for two wedding rings we both liked.

Davida1968 Wed 27-Oct-21 13:07:01

Judy 54, I'd have responded exactly as you did! I wouldn't wear a ring that I didn't like.
When we met, DH & I had little spare cash; I only had an engagement ring because it's a lovely one, left to me by my Grandma. (I never really wanted to be "engaged"- just married!) Some years into our marriage, DH bought me a pretty ring, which I wear for "best". He wanted to make up for not buying me an engagement ring, which (IMO) was a beautiful & thoughful gesture. We're still together, nearly 40 years later.

Metra Wed 27-Oct-21 13:21:51

I gave my son a very valuable ring which I had inherited to give his girlfriend if she accepted his proposal. I made it very plain that if she didn't like it, they could have it remodelled. She loved it and when they split up some years later, kept it. My head tells me that I gave the gift freely and ownership passed to her but my heart.....

Lucca Wed 27-Oct-21 14:01:29

MissAdventure

Poor old Kate.
It's desperately sad to have to wear that £30000 ring.
Not sure on my noughts there.
Poor woman.

??

kittylester Wed 27-Oct-21 14:09:58

I think it is a very loving thing that Kate is doing by wearing Diana's ring. It presumably makes William happy.

MissAdventure Wed 27-Oct-21 14:26:57

I agree.
It must mean a lot to him, I would think.

nipsmum Wed 27-Oct-21 14:40:08

I did get to pick my engagement ring. If I hadn't had one I wouldn't had minded too much . We both worked hard and money wasn't available for things that were not necessary. I would have married him anyway engagement or otherwise.