Gransnet forums

Chat

Maybe we should listen more to small children.

(28 Posts)
chris8888 Fri 29-Oct-21 13:15:40

I was out with my neice and her three children yesterday ( they are all under 7).
As I sat outside a busy shop the 6 year old decided to sit with me. She told me they had been out for dinner the night before to a Toby Carvery. We I asked if she enjoyed it she said yes but she wasn`t allowed ice cream because she didn`t eat her veg. Why didn`t you eat your veg then ? I asked. The carrots had hairs on them and I didn`t want to eat hairs!

Seemed fair enough reason to me lol. I asked her Mum and she said I was busy with 3 kids in a busy place I will listen next time. Fair enough but just shows that sometimes they do have reasons for not doing something.

Grandmadinosaur Fri 29-Oct-21 13:49:46

I totally agree with you.

Our grandson (nearly 5) has often told us of things that when we’ve mentioned to his parents they have no idea about. No excuse but it’s today’s busy world.

welbeck Fri 29-Oct-21 14:24:32

it's almost as if they are human beings and individuals, a bit like us.
how many adults have to eat their vegetables before they are allowed pudding.
actually i can imagine an establishment with very stern waitresses along those lines would attract a certain kind of clientele.
could be quite lucrative. another business idea just waiting for the investment and a capable manager. anyone ?

Mollygo Fri 29-Oct-21 15:17:09

Welbeck!shock

MissAdventure Fri 29-Oct-21 15:21:06

I think that's already been done, welbeck.
Unless it's a figment of my imagination, I'm sure there was a club somewhere, where "naughty boys" grubby men were punished for not eating school type dinners.

Hithere Fri 29-Oct-21 15:21:33

Welbeck

Great idea!

felice Fri 29-Oct-21 15:25:01

I was a bar/restaurant owner here in Brussels for many years and I have met a lot of customers who would love your suggestion Welbeck. Also know there are a few establishments here who would happily oblige.
Not my style !!!

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 29-Oct-21 15:27:55

Presumably your niece’s little girl ate all the other things, just not the carrots? I would have known about this, because we frequented places like ‘ The Little Chef ‘ I always checked their meals before they ate them, and we had four children.

When it came to eating out, we were very careful. Although to be honest, my kids were all good eaters. They now say it was because they got the ‘ death stare ‘, if they didn’t!

However, I used to talk to my granny far more than my mum. She definitely had more time for me, and she didn’t favour my sister over me.

Namsnanny Fri 29-Oct-21 15:32:56

I would be grateful to listen endlessly to anything my GC said, unfortunately that attitude gave rise to me being prohibited from doing just that. Sigh!
Apologies for derailing.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 29-Oct-21 15:35:28

welbeck

actually i can imagine an establishment with very stern waitresses along those lines would attract a certain kind of clientele.
could be quite lucrative. another business idea just waiting for the investment and a capable manager. anyone ?

It might go the other way. They wouldn’t be able to sell any puddings!😂

GagaJo Fri 29-Oct-21 15:44:20

TBH, I don't think it's unreasonable to say no pudding if you don't eat your veg. I did it with my veg-hating DD and she does the same with her son. Got to get the vitamins in somehow!

Hithere Fri 29-Oct-21 15:46:04

What did the child mean by hairs on the carrots?

Children have the weirdest reasons not to eat anything they dont like.
"My food is touching! Ewwww I want a new plate!"
"My school gives it to me in a plate vs a bowl"
"I don't eat yellow food!"
"I want a pink bowl with orange spoon!"

This mother had 4 kids at the same time. Dinner and lunch time can be very stressful and this is so minor

If anybody brought this up to my attention, I would tell him/her to please do not offer opinion unless requested (aka mind your own business)

Of course kids do have reasons not to do things - pick your battles

MissAdventure Fri 29-Oct-21 15:48:10

No battle for me.
No dinner eaten means no dessert.
Simple.

Riverwalk Fri 29-Oct-21 15:51:23

Seems a bit mean to spoil a treat out to deny ice-cream for not eating carrots, regardless of the reason.

No ice-cream if throwing food, tantrums, running around etc., but for not eating a few carrots?

welbeck Fri 29-Oct-21 16:17:34

Riverwalk

Seems a bit mean to spoil a treat out to deny ice-cream for not eating carrots, regardless of the reason.

No ice-cream if throwing food, tantrums, running around etc., but for not eating a few carrots?

exactly.
esp as the carrot were adulterated.
Hithere, it means probably the catering/serving staff need to wear hairnets.

Riverwalk Fri 29-Oct-21 18:47:09

I presumed the child meant the thin stringy thingies that are on unpeeled carrots, rather than human hair.

lemongrove Fri 29-Oct-21 18:50:25

That’s what I thought River ....sometimes carrots do have fine hairs on them, won’t hurt you but may upset a child forced to eat them.

Blondiescot Fri 29-Oct-21 19:19:48

I also thought the same.

foxie48 Fri 29-Oct-21 19:29:18

Children + food = potential battleground and IMHO is best avoided. I often used you "why aren't you eating that?" approach, if the answer was "I'm not hungry" then no pud, if "I don't like it" I'd say try a little just to make sure. I don't like eating things that I don't like, won't eat if I am full and as a child was quite wary of anything new. My grandchildren were the worst eaters in the world, so darn fussy but none of them have died, yet! I just used to serve up the meal and if they didn't eat it, they went hungry but without comment.

Calistemon Fri 29-Oct-21 19:36:06

Hithere

What did the child mean by hairs on the carrots?

Children have the weirdest reasons not to eat anything they dont like.
"My food is touching! Ewwww I want a new plate!"
"My school gives it to me in a plate vs a bowl"
"I don't eat yellow food!"
"I want a pink bowl with orange spoon!"

This mother had 4 kids at the same time. Dinner and lunch time can be very stressful and this is so minor

If anybody brought this up to my attention, I would tell him/her to please do not offer opinion unless requested (aka mind your own business)

Of course kids do have reasons not to do things - pick your battles

Some carrots have little white whiskers - presumably they weren't peeled so perhaps not like the ones Mummy and Daddy make!

Namsnanny Sat 30-Oct-21 15:38:02

Proto roots.

Calistemon Sat 30-Oct-21 15:45:17

Oh, is that what they are?

LovelyCuppa Sat 30-Oct-21 16:51:14

Your niece is very lucky to have you there correcting her parenting. I hope she appreciates it

Shinamae Sat 30-Oct-21 16:56:29

welbeck

Apparently there is or at least was a restaurant called “school dinners” in London,attracted a lot of adult men my friend told me who had frequented the establishment himself

Urmstongran Sat 30-Oct-21 17:02:59

Surely going out for a meal is a treat? And with littlies, different ways of cooking can affect the taste/appearance too. Seemed harsh IMO. One sad child watching their siblings tuck into a pud. I couldn’t do it to them. Home rules should give way to a bit of laxity when out. In my opinion.