Gransnet forums

Chat

Lush (the toiletries store).

(65 Posts)
grannydarkhair Wed 24-Nov-21 11:35:31

As from Friday, Lush are withdrawing from Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and Snapchat, they will continue on Twitter and YouTube. This is until social media channels “Take action to provide a safer environment”. How ironic! The press release goes on a lot more than what I’ve written obviously.
No mention of the many negative messages they must have received in the UK alone over the breast-binder issue.

Calistemon Wed 24-Nov-21 22:03:46

Can he not see how ironic that statement is?
Really?

Peasblossom Wed 24-Nov-21 22:05:55

AmberSpyglass

Peasblossom …Everything contains chemicals. Literally everything.

Yes, it’s just that Lush has really been criticised for the amount and type it uses.

I particularly don’t like the way they have a few organic, ethical products and mislead people into thinking that’s the whole range.

I just thought you might not know.

Hetty58 Wed 24-Nov-21 22:07:17

Why do people buy these daft, unnecessary, potentially toxic items anyway? I really can't understand it. What's wrong with smelling clean - or of nothing?

Why the horrid cheap perfume on bodies, on clothes and in homes - unless it's to mask something whiffy? It just makes me sneeze so I don't get the appeal.

Calistemon Wed 24-Nov-21 22:10:01

I certainly don't want to smell like a cinnamon bun!

Audi10 Wed 24-Nov-21 22:18:04

I can’t stand the overpowering smell good riddance

Chewbacca Wed 24-Nov-21 22:35:11

Cheap scent appeals to some; each to their own.

Ro60 Wed 24-Nov-21 22:40:16

Used to like them when they were "Cosmetics to Go" - postal with a brochure.
They seem to jump on any available band wagon these days.

Haven't been in one since my slim, intelligent, pretty daughter was told she needed to wear more make-up and wasn't pretty enough!

Seems the individual store management doesn't communicate or understand the ethos of the company.

Hetty58 Wed 24-Nov-21 22:40:34

Chewbacca, the worst thing was a couple of grandkids arriving when mum had used laundry scent booster beads - we had to go out, then stay outside until they left!

Chewbacca Wed 24-Nov-21 23:06:41

grin Hetty! I sympathise; the cheaper the scent, the longer it lingers! grin Even if you're in a town your unfamiliar with, you know there's a Lush store in the vicinity long before you see it; that awful, sugary sweet stench hits you as you turn a corner!

VioletSky Thu 25-Nov-21 13:43:44

Poor grandchildren.

Mollygo Thu 25-Nov-21 13:49:07

VioletSky

Poor grandchildren.

???

Rosie51 Fri 26-Nov-21 01:00:41

Anybody still supporting Lush in the belief they're ethical really needs to google beyond the company's publicity pages. If you did that you'd never spend a penny in there again, unless of course you're not that bothered, which is a valid position, but one that needs 'owning'.

VioletSky Fri 26-Nov-21 13:42:41

Lush is very transparent on their website and actually scores quite highly on eco friendly and sustainable score charts compared to many many other companies.

They have far less synthetic ingredients than most brands and my body vouches for that because I am not allergic to Lush products.

They are also always improving.

I can own that I am better off buying a bath bar than a plastic bottle of bubble bath and I do.

Peasblossom Fri 26-Nov-21 14:46:51

Their web site is a perfect example of how they spin to hide the truth.

They use phrases like ‘all natural” which means nothing in any legal or defined sense. Arsenic is natural after all.

“Safe chemicals” Not proven to cause damage because many have not been the subject of long term research.

“We are workng hard to eliminate… ie we are continuing to use

Parfum. Artificial chemicals

Colouring, Artificial chemicals.

Both of these at very high levels that have been criticised for their environmental effects as well as effects on individuals.

It’s very cleverly written PR but just do more research, looking at their labels and then researching each ingredient, rather than thinking their website is going to tell you what’s really in their products, I think you would be shocked.

But I can see that their stance on trans is the most important thing for you so it’s more comfortable just ignore what is really in the products.

That isn’t meant to be a snide remark. We all have moral dilemmas with organisations that we want to support for one reason but are uneasy with for another.

I feel like that about the Salvation Army?

Calistemon Fri 26-Nov-21 14:48:35

I can own that I am better off buying a bath bar than a plastic bottle of bubble bath and I do.

Is bath bar a posh word for soap?

Peasblossom Fri 26-Nov-21 14:54:10

Far fewer chemicals in a bar of quality soap than the Lush bath bar.

It’s high water content requires artificial chemicals to keep it stable.

VioletSky Fri 26-Nov-21 15:00:12

Peasblossom

Their web site is a perfect example of how they spin to hide the truth.

They use phrases like ‘all natural” which means nothing in any legal or defined sense. Arsenic is natural after all.

“Safe chemicals” Not proven to cause damage because many have not been the subject of long term research.

“We are workng hard to eliminate… ie we are continuing to use

Parfum. Artificial chemicals

Colouring, Artificial chemicals.

Both of these at very high levels that have been criticised for their environmental effects as well as effects on individuals.

It’s very cleverly written PR but just do more research, looking at their labels and then researching each ingredient, rather than thinking their website is going to tell you what’s really in their products, I think you would be shocked.

But I can see that their stance on trans is the most important thing for you so it’s more comfortable just ignore what is really in the products.

That isn’t meant to be a snide remark. We all have moral dilemmas with organisations that we want to support for one reason but are uneasy with for another.

I feel like that about the Salvation Army?

What has liking their products got to do with trans issues?

I'm allergic to a lot of stuff, it's nice to have a pamper with things I'm not allergic too.

Doodledog Fri 26-Nov-21 15:09:47

My daughter has sensitive skin, and Lush was always the brand that brought her out in blotches because of the high levels of added chemicals and artificial scents. When she was 14 or so, she used to keep trying to use their bath bombs in case they had changed their formulation, but she gave up in the end.

I was relieved, as the whole house reeked of them, and everyone was fishing bits of glitter out of their nethers for days. By happy coincidence my son saw through the awful Lynx ads at about the same time and stopped splashing that everywhere too?

Chewbacca Fri 26-Nov-21 15:10:11

Is bath bar a posh word for soap?

That would be a yes Callistemon! grin

Peasblossom Fri 26-Nov-21 15:20:05

VioletSky

AmberSpyglass

I’m a huge fan of Lush, especially their political campaigns. I’m proud to stand with them on their support for the trans community. Obviously there’s no real ethical consumerism under capitalism, but this is a very positive move by them.

Me too. Love their products

Sorry. I thought you were agreeing that this was what was important to you.

Calistemon Fri 26-Nov-21 15:28:43

Chewbacca

^Is bath bar a posh word for soap?^

That would be a yes Callistemon! grin

As soon as I posted I thought - that's two words not one.
I was waiting for a pedant alert. ?

Why use two words when one will do?

VioletSky Fri 26-Nov-21 15:29:11

Yes I am a big fan and love their products... I also do support trans issues

But the comment I replied to was on on their sustainability, not trans issues

Mollygo Fri 26-Nov-21 15:38:21

I can’t use Lush because I’m allergic to some of their ingredients, natural or not. The difference is that I wouldn’t buy Lush anymore because of their behaviour. Some people still will, but it’s keeping staff in a job.

VioletSky Fri 26-Nov-21 18:32:14

One day I will have to go through the ingredients to find out what it actually is I am allergic too. I wish allergy testing was cheaper as I would love to have it done

Chewbacca Fri 26-Nov-21 18:34:47

Lush's sustainability;

People
Lush has taken a strong approach to sectors where human rights abuses have been exposed. Following reports of child and forced labour in mica supply chains, Lush stopped using the mineral in its products and started using synthetic mica, made from natural minerals.

In 2019, Lush received Ethical Consumer’s worst rating for Supply Chain Management. It took a rudimentary approach to addressing difficult issues in the supply chain, for example, Lush's website stated that it did not employ staff on zero-hour contracts. However, its supply chain policy, outlining expected workers’ rights, was poor as was its auditing and reporting and stakeholder engagement. It also had a subsidiary in Saudi Arabia and associate undertakings in Russia, Kazakhstan, Thailand and Pakistan. These countries all appear on our list of oppressive regimes.