Gransnet forums

Chat

Being remembered after one meeting TWENTY FIVE years ago!!

(39 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 30-Nov-21 15:27:32

Yes, that's it really.

Today I met a prospective volunteer for the charity I lead; she was thoughtful, professional and very much on the ball. Asked about her background she has a PhD, has done some sterling international work and had a hand in devising government policy before she retired.

At the end of our meeting as we stood up to go she dropped the bombshell that she remembers interviewing me, in my capacity as a social worker, when she was doing some policy research. Just once! Twenty five years ago! She named where I was then working and said she even remembers the room she met me in. Apparently I gave her a 'striking' answer to one of the questions she put to me and that was memorable because it was at odds with what other people were saying - and which apparently turned out to be accurate.

Now, I don't know about you, but I've had close neighbours from twenty five years ago that I've completely forgotten - I certainly couldn't recall someone I met once unless the circumstances were bizarre or extreme in some way.

Do other people have such prodigious memories? Would you remember someone you met once, so long ago? confused

grannyactivist Wed 01-Dec-21 13:40:02

Thanks everyone for your comments, and I’m grateful for your encouraging words. smile

I am in awe of those of you who have such good memories.

My oldest friend maintains her few friendships fiercely and, I suspect because of the intensity of her friendships, she does seem to remember even the most un-noteworthy things we’ve done together, whereas I have only the faintest memory of our ‘highlight’ moments - such as when she once (actually more than once) arrived on my doorstep with her screaming baby, in the middle of the night, crying because her baby had colic and she couldn’t cope. ?

Cabbie21 Wed 01-Dec-21 13:42:33

I remember lots of incidents, conversations and events from years ago, but I would struggle to recall names and faces of those involved.
When I was a teacher I would see people at the supermarket and recognise them but not be able to place them- probably they were parents of pupils. They knew me but I didn’t know them.

lemongrove Wed 01-Dec-21 14:10:20

The short answer is no.....unless they had a huge wart on the end of their nose/ had a high pitched screechy laugh/gave the weirdest answers to a question etc etc.
I take it that none of those apply grannyactivist ??

jaylucy Wed 01-Dec-21 14:40:30

I always have remembered people for random reasons!
Unfortunately, most people don't remember me!
Several years ago I went to a school reunion and remembered most of the ones in my year, but apart from the woman that had been my closest friend at senior school, only one man that had been in my form at one point, remembered me - because I "used to be taller than him"! - he was now taller than me.(but with a lot less hair)
One ex school mate remembered me from my Facebook profile - apparently I have the "same lovely smile"

Elvis58 Wed 01-Dec-21 15:27:22

I was on holiday in Norfolk when.l was shopping in marks and spencers this lady came up to me and said l hope you dont mind me ask

Nicegranny Wed 01-Dec-21 15:38:04

My mother was as sharp as a knife up until she died.
She could remember things said or any injustice that happened through out her life and believe me, I said something to her in 1972 that she repeated throughout my life that she could never let me forget!
?

Hildagard Wed 01-Dec-21 17:03:55

When I was in my forties, my old Maths teachers recognised me! from my laugh……..

inishowen Wed 01-Dec-21 17:43:56

I have one of those memories. I joined a group of people from my old primary school and had to reign in my detailed memories. One man would have been shocked to know I remembered his mum, dad and sister. The decor all over their apartment, the hot orange juice his mum served, what his mum was knitting, the name of their dog, his parents splitting up. All I said was I remembered his mum's red hair!

Kali2 Wed 01-Dec-21 17:52:59

yes, same here, I have a very very strong memory for people and faces.

Yammy Wed 01-Dec-21 20:57:16

Once when teaching in the North East a visitor looked at me and said the letters right but the names wrong. I suddenly realised she had lectured me about 10 years before and my name had changed but still started with the same letter. She must have had hundreds through her hands and I had never talked to her just sat with a lot of others.

GreenGran78 Wed 01-Dec-21 22:38:07

My memory for faces and names is appalling, but I was recognised, in the street, by a lady who had been my 'office girl' 15 years previously. She only knew me for a few weeks before I moved to another company.
I was 7 months pregnant, almost 40 and feeling more like 50 that day. Her, "You haven't changed a bit" really made my day.

Hil1910 Thu 02-Dec-21 00:51:59

My Mam recognised the voice of a patient she’d nursed 25 years previously when she was receiving respite care at a Nursing Home. She didn’t actually see the patient concerned as they were in different parts of the building but she was able to instantly recognise her voice.

Redhead56 Thu 02-Dec-21 09:58:58

I was shopping locally beginning of lockdown and wearing a mask I was putting the trolley back. A car had stopped in front of me and someone shouted my name. It was a friends sister I used to babysit years ago. I had not seen her for decades. She has lived and worked in London for years but apparently moved back a few years earlier. I couldn’t believe I had glasses on a mask on and white hair but she still recognised me.