Gransnet forums

Chat

What has made Gransnet angry this week?

(146 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 01-Dec-21 21:39:51

I'll start!

A child in a covid suit.
Asylum seekers being picked up by the RNLI.

Josianne Fri 03-Dec-21 15:03:51

That was for Lucca.

Josianne Fri 03-Dec-21 15:03:25

The cats and dogs are to blame for spreading covid thread.

Ilovecheese Fri 03-Dec-21 15:02:44

This thread is talking about two different things.

1) What is happening in the outside world that has made members angry.

2)What is happening on this site that has made members angry.

I suppose though, thinking about it, lemongrove is correct about it in either case.

Lucca Fri 03-Dec-21 15:02:19

Alegrias1

And with that it was gone. ?? GNHQ and posters who reported.

.What was gone ?

jacksmum Fri 03-Dec-21 15:01:48

Germanshepherdsmum

At least they’re getting vaccinated. That’s the important thing.

It is also important to alot of families to have their loved one home for a few days at Christmas, many have not seen them for such a long time and many did not see them last Christmas either

GagaJo Fri 03-Dec-21 15:01:35

Not quotes! Posts. Sorry!

GagaJo Fri 03-Dec-21 14:53:36

Josianne

So what would happen if a thread were started, "What has made Gransnet happy this week?" I wonder.

They are very frequent and garner a lot of quotes.

Josianne Fri 03-Dec-21 14:39:45

So what would happen if a thread were started, "What has made Gransnet happy this week?" I wonder.

lemongrove Fri 03-Dec-21 13:31:14

I just knew this thread would be a light the blue touch paper and retire kind of thing, and I wasn’t wrong.Now it’s being used by posters to have a rant or a go at other posters, where a nerve has been touched.

GillT57 Fri 03-Dec-21 13:05:45

I think the main thing which grinds my gears is people quoting nonsense, sometimes malicious ill informed nonsense to back up their own opinions. We are all entitled to opinions, but not to present them as truth. This week in particular I have been sickened by the not very well hidden racism when threads have discussed asylum seekers. I am however, glad to be described as a leftie or 'woke' if it means my views are different from the accuser.

FarNorth Fri 03-Dec-21 13:05:21

The selfishness is annoying, tho, GSM. These people are the 'community' we all have to live amongst.

I have almost never reported anyone, and definitely not in recent years.
EV expressed some opinions that I strongly disagreed with, but none that deserved a ban, as far as I saw.
Is it a case of 3x minor objections = instant ban?

Alegrias1 Fri 03-Dec-21 13:03:31

And with that it was gone. ?? GNHQ and posters who reported.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 03-Dec-21 12:46:51

At least they’re getting vaccinated. That’s the important thing.

jacksmum Fri 03-Dec-21 12:27:49

All the people who have been able to get covid booster over past weeks/months and are now rushing to get them as they think it will make them safe to go clubbing/parties ,visit families, they have had weeks to get these done, but now the armed forces are having their Christmas cancelled and sent to sort out the places so people can get booster jabs before Christmas

GrannyGravy13 Fri 03-Dec-21 12:23:17

Sign me up for the please reinstate EV

gillgran Fri 03-Dec-21 12:15:29

LauraNorderr

I too feel fond of EV, a lovely lady who cares so much for her family with all their problems. A lady who impressed us with her wit, her kindness and her strength on the good morning thread.
I admit that she expressed some strong and not always pc views on political threads. To report, to delete and to ban will never change views it will only entrench them. Surely those who disagree should discuss and hope to influence.
I would happily join a group to bring back EV.

Me too, Thank you LauraNorder & Urmstongran, (& others).
We are coming up to "The Season of Goodwill"...............

Lucca Fri 03-Dec-21 11:52:48

LauraNorderr

Another thing that makes me angry is the view that those who believe in humane treatment of others are accused of virtue signaling or being holier than thou.

I second that

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 03-Dec-21 11:52:06

Nor do I Alegrias, but I’m alarmed to hear that EV (not reported by me btw) has a lifetime ban. Whatever terrible thing could she have said to warrant that?

LauraNorderr Fri 03-Dec-21 11:51:07

Reporting something that is a danger to others is to be applauded but, in my opinion, to report extreme views on say sexism, racism, etc., just shuts down an important discussion so nothing ever changes.
Don’t need to say ‘sneaky little grannies’, I find that offensive but rather than report it let’s discuss the power of words and the hurt caused to others.

Alegrias1 Fri 03-Dec-21 11:40:35

Yeah, 'cos they're all sitting around all day reading our posts.

This sneaky little granny reported a dangerous thread this morning, one that is based entirely on unfounded musings and that is likely to cause alarm to people who read it, and I make no apology for that.

nanna8 Fri 03-Dec-21 11:36:59

I think the whole reporting lark is a bit sick, personally. Surely there must be moderators who could zonk bad posts without relying on sneaky little grannies ?

LauraNorderr Fri 03-Dec-21 11:30:44

I too feel fond of EV, a lovely lady who cares so much for her family with all their problems. A lady who impressed us with her wit, her kindness and her strength on the good morning thread.
I admit that she expressed some strong and not always pc views on political threads. To report, to delete and to ban will never change views it will only entrench them. Surely those who disagree should discuss and hope to influence.
I would happily join a group to bring back EV.

LauraNorderr Fri 03-Dec-21 11:21:57

Another thing that makes me angry is the view that those who believe in humane treatment of others are accused of virtue signaling or being holier than thou.

tickingbird Fri 03-Dec-21 11:15:54

This very popular 81y old lady who lives alone and regarded GN virtual as her lifeline during the pandemic has been treated most shabbily in my opinion. It upset me greatly.

How sad and unnecessary.

I’d love to say what I think of the person(s) that felt the need to report EV.

How smug and self satisfied they must feel. Yuck!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Dec-21 10:55:04

Lucca

Oh goodness I forgot them. Shall do them at once !

My sister recently suffered from vertigo and is sure the exercises were the answer.